Harlands Gym Cancellation admin fee

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3540 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I rang up my gym last month to inform them that I would like to cancel my membership.

They responded by saying to me I can either cancel the direct debit or go down to the gym and cancel it there

(they needed me to fill out a cancellation form).

As the gym is out of my way as I have moved jobs I decided to cancel the direct debit.

I have now received a letter from Harlands stating I owe them 19.99 and £25 admin fee.

I have now realized after cancelling my membership that I cancelled it a month early, this explains the letter I think.

I signed up for a 12 month contact for 19.99 which started on 28/8/13 and first debit was 14/9/13.

This confusion in me cancelling early was that the direct debit had been going for 16+ months on the account as I was on a student membership prior.

The reason or my cancellation is the gym isn't properly vented (doesn't seem it if it is)

which means the smell is horrific (late night when I attended).

This has caused me to leave early feeling nauseated on multiple occasions and I did go sick which then caused me to stopped me attending (about 2 months).

I have read a couple of the threads on here however I am unsure what I should.

I don't mind paying the last month membership as I realize I cancelled early as it was a 12 month contract and I cancelled after 11.

Do I have to pay the admin fee?

Could anyone please offer any advice?

Thank you for any advice given in advanced.

You dont owe harlands anything. At the most, you owe the gym the months payment. Thats it. Sit tight and the regulars will be around asap to give you advice on what to do next.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Hi JR and welcome to CAG

Forget the ventilation issue. If you wanted to complain about that, you should have done so sooner verbally, and then in writing if nothing was sorted. This isn't really relevant to the matter of cancelling now.

Same goes for the job move - if you wanted to cancel because of it, you should have given them notice at the time. Raising these two issues now will just confuse matters.

If the first DD payment under the 12 month agreement was taken on 14th Sept 2013, you should make payments up to and including the pay't due 14th August.

Pay the gym the last (two?) pay'ts direct, to complete the 12 month term. I'd write the gym a letter saying you are ending the 12 month agreement and this letter is notice of intention to cancel. Confirm that the DD mandate has already been cancelled so you are making the final pay't(s) by cheque or debit card at the gym.

Ignore Harlands just now, until you've made the final payment. Once it is paid, simply write to Harlands saying you have paid the final amount due direct to the gym. Also tell them you will not pay any admin fees added by them as they are unlawful penalties.

Keep us informed and we'll help you deal with Harlands or CRS (their pet DCA) further as necessary.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi JR,

I saw what you originally posted before you edited to the two words above.

The info you gave is interesting and possibly helpful to others.

If you have no objections, could you put the further detail on the thread here.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hey

Sorry. I remove it because I thought I may have made a mistake so I was going to re upload it next month if I didn't receive a letter. I will try and update on the 18/8/14 if I do or don't receive anything.

What I originally said was (roughly)

After trying to contact my gym and being unsuccessful I decided to call harlands (withheld number) and ask them what would happen as I have 2 months left on my membership and not 1. The letter said this was a final payment due which is what made me wonder if I would receive another letter next month saying I owed £19.99 + £25 if I didn't pay both months. When calling them I asked them what would happen, the lady responded saying that there was only 1 month left to pay and this was a final payment. After this I mentioned that I was advised by the gym to cancel the direct debit. She then told me that someone had previously contacted them and the admin fee had been removed, there was only £19.99 left to pay. She also mentioned I was free to use the gym till 14th august. I paid the £19.99 and I will await to see what happens in the future.

I wrote down the time and a summary of the conversation we had on the call for future reference for if I did receive a letter.

Thanks for that that JR.

Please let us know what happens, particulary if Harlands make any further demands.

Thanks for that that JR.

Please let us know what happens, particulary if Harlands make any further demands.