Getting rid of a car which has a potential fault

Rook
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3482 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've been having issues with my car for a while now and it's newest fault is the filter - £1700 to replace!

The garage has cleaned it, but there is no guarantee it will last. I therefore want to get rid of the car asap.

If I sell it or part exchange it with a dealer, can they come back to me weeks later when they spot the problem and demand I fix or pay for it? The filter may be fixed there is no guarantee . .

Another option I have is to voluntarily cancel the contract with the car finance people. I have to wait 5 more months to do this. Can they charge me for returning a 'broken' car? The filter issue is wear and tear as far as I am concerned but I'm not 100% sure they will see it this way . .

Any advice you can give would be great

no, there is no comeback if you trade it in.

Another option would be webuyanycar.com although I believe they can be disappointing...

Failing that, sell it at British Car auctions 'as seen'.

Edited by Conniff
Changed wording

Hi Rook. Have you taken the car for a motorway speeds drive, this can regenerate the filter.

I've heard that. The problem has only started since we moved and changed our driving habits - less motorway driving now.

no, there is no comeback if you trade it in.

Another option would be webuyanycar.com although I believe they can be difficult...

Failing that, sell it at British Car auctions 'as seen'.

I am surprised there is no comeback for dealers. I was thinking about webuyanycar . .

Edited by Conniff

• 2 weeks later...

Get the filter removed and the DPF software turned off in the ECU search google there are loads of places to get it done £300 ish. If thats all thats wrong with the car and your otherwise happy with it, its just a one off fee.

Laws which say things like goods must be 'satisfactory quality' only apply when the seller is a business. The dealer would only have a legal comeback if you made what is called a misrepresentation - for example, if you told the dealer you don't know of any problems with the car knowing that there is a problem.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Get the filter removed and the DPF software turned off in the ECU search google there are loads of places to get it done £300 ish. If thats all thats wrong with the car and your otherwise happy with it, its just a one off fee.

The law has been changed now, if your car should have a DPF and it has been removed, it will never pass an MOT again

• 2 weeks later...

If you trade it in dont worry there is no comeback, the dealer will buy as is, most bigger dealers will just auction it anyway, if its diesel you can try a cleaner called Forte, its trade stuff used to clean the entire fuel system, get it off eBay for about £11 its the best cleaner I've used.

Many garages use this to clear faults with the fuel system and then charge you a fortune.......

That is correct if the guts are pulled from the DPF it will past the MOT ok, they are nothing but a money spinner and a joke.

• 4 weeks later...
DPF's can block on even new vehicles. I've seen a new van with less than 100 miles in the clock with a blocked DPF. This is because it's used for maintenance in hospital grounds and never goes off site. Blocked DPF's are not covered under warranty.

They are and should be as the systems are designed to detect and self regenerate!!!