Dealer didn't declare category D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3569 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello. Long story which I will try and simplify. I purchased a car in September 2013. The car, the key and the logbook have been stolen by my mother (very long story). Whilst in the process of trying to get replacement paperwork, I ran a check on my vehicle. Turns out it was a category D write off back in 2009. Now, should the dealer not have declared this to me? I would not have touched the car with a barge-pole had I known this snippet of information. Obviously I feel less inclined to go through the rigmarole of gettibng paperwork, getting a new key and recovering the vehicle. I am fairly sure the dealer should have informed me? What can I do about this mess?

Unfortunately the paperwork is all in the hands of my mother. It definitely was not declared to me though or I would not have purchased the vehicle; been stung with a cat D before. It was also sold as having one previous owner in the advert.

leonmassey is correct. As of 2 or 3 years ago it became law that a seller must declare if the vehicle was a previous insurance loss.

However you would needto be able to return the vehicle in the same condition it was in ie with the keys and paperwork.