Debt in Spain

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I have been declared bankrupt you guys really, really, helped with that THANKYOU ONE AND ALL and I am rebuilding my credit now and getting on with our lives.

I included most debts abroad etc in my bankruptcy and this ncluded a Spanish mortgage.

The Spanish bank due to Spanish legal isses even witht he bankruptcy wrote off all the debt in recognition of the UK bankruptcy also the Insolvency service discharged our bankruptcy after 6 months and stated they would not be chasing any further the Spanish debt .They allowed me and the Spanish bank to agree to sign the property back to them in return they would write of the debt.

So Bankruptcy has been great and we can get on with our lives.

My problem now on a recent visit to Spain we were approached about outstanding rent by the local rental agent ( as we had left with a small amount of outstanding rent a few hundred euros ). This was an apartment we rented out via this agent who lived in the site. It turned out the property was owned by a criminal in the UK and may have gone back to the bank. Also as the owner was in prison the property may have been the proceeds of crime ( previously the agent had mentioned UK police were interested in the apartment).

The agent has been collecting rent for a convicted criminal in the UK who was in prison at the time.

The agent approached us while we were with friends in a beach bar and asked us to go and discuss the debt ( we did not have time) we were visiting close friends in the area and bumped into the agent in a bar.

We do want to visit our friends when we wish in Spain.

How should we approach this if we meet again or I could write to the agent.

Is there a reciprocal arrangement on bankruptcy as in these debts 4 years ago in Spain, were before we declared bankruptcy in the UK .

We had no funds and returned to the UK as our daughter was ill and we could not afford to live there.

We do still want to visit Spain do we just live with this we would like to write to the agent and explain we are or have been declared bankrupt ( if it covers Spain

Any advice is welcome and to anyone out there this site and the volunteers that are on here are amazing.

I would do absolutely nothing about this, as this agent is just looking for some money to put in their own pocket.

If you start writing letters or giving them any money, it just acknowledges that you owe the debt. If you do nothing, it will get forgotten.

With bankruptcy, if this rental debt was not included, then it could still be due. Therefore it makes no difference whether you mention it or not.

Spain is in a real mess at the moment and people can be desperate to get hold of any money. If you get any hassle when you next visit, you could threaten to contact the Police. Debt is a civil matter, but if threats are made, you should contact the local Police.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread