• Tweets

• let the ombudsman do their job. you'll win handsdown you dont obv owe OVO p'haps anything at all.  dont worry about Past Due credit or any other DCA ( THEY ARE NOT BAILIFFS!) as for you being added to the debt, thats quite OK, you were a resident adult and equally liable under law. once you start getting things moving via the  ombudsman dont forget to get your credit files cleansed of any negative data & seek compensation for distress etc, again the  ombudsman should sort both out for you. as you are now NOT a customer of OVO, there is very very little they can do to you now.  
    • A question - did you use the supermarket or the restaurant? I see the restrictions are different. Sign.pdf
    • DN is ok DCA NOA is ok, though not one from Newday saying they've sold it. agreement states esigned on a sunday at 11am?? really??  but no typed names or tick box nor any IP address used. if the date is correct then poss ok, it that your correct address for that time of take out? but if not, then that could simply be a copy of someone elses they've used with you details copy'n'pasted over theirs. the agreement details separate T&C's in at least 8.4. a full set of T&C containing your correct address for the time MUST be included. failure renders the agreement unenforceable... have you the T&C's too? dx
    • Npower and Scottish Power and others have always had regulations that require them to treat customers fairly - the threads here and my experiences demonstrate that those regs are little more than useless.   Even Octopus recently spent month after month saying they needed to increase my monthly payments despite my credit balance slowly going up TWICE I had to reset it online back to prior payment as they unilaterally increased it unilaterally. Raised formal complaint and they than said i was paying too much and reduced the payment, again without my agreement, although that time at least they told me they were doing it.   .. and Octopus has been one of the better ones.    
    • Thank you. You left all your personal details showing on the invoice, but I've removed them. From Googling it seems the free parking is limited to one hour.  You stayed two.  There is no point appealing, you did overstay.  That's apart from the fact the private parking companies are just interested in £££££ and never accept appeals. We have other Iceland cases, Iceland as a company refuse to have these invoices cancelled. So it's up to you. Pay £51 and the matter goes away. Or refuse to pay.  Horizon very rarely do court.  We would support you all the way. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

How the Bailiff gets paid?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was thinking of you actually, working anything up to 75 hours a week and potentially not getting paid any money for doing it. But horses for courses I suppose.

I don't doubt that there are some good, fair bailiffs in the industry, there's bound to be somewhere, but I'd have to say, from reading these and other forums, that the majority (so over 51%) aren't good, they're little more than bullies in a suit.

As someone else said earlier, "you can't get blood out of a stone", so no matter how fair a bailiff you are, and for all I know you could well be the best bailiff in the country, if you can't get the money (in full) out of the debtor, you don't get paid.

I ask again, why would you want to risk earning nothing?

We'll pay me for collecting some money with proportion to the debt? Don't pay us nothing.

Change the payment structure which allows fairness.

And gives decent people a chance to pay their bills in a fair way.

Bailiffs are feared because idiot bailiff companies pushing and pushing fighting each other for contracts and so on.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can't disagree (wholeheartedly at least) with your statement that most enforcement companies have no (or at best, very loose) morals.

I wouldn't know where to start, but perhaps the best course of action to change the industry, is to start your own 'equitable' enforcement company, and show the rest of them how it should be done.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

The new regs havnt changed the job it's the appraisement of the fees by the bailiff companies .

The job hasn't changed.

I would suggest you are either a director or owner.

As only someone within that none effected capacity would give the answer of "go find something else".

ReAlly.... Why not pay fairly???

Isn't that easier than hundreds of bailiffs finding new jobs.

A director or owner of what?

You are assuming again, I am actually neither unless you class my art I sell as being an owner of a company.

A director or owner of what?

You are assuming again, I am actually neither unless you class my art I sell as being an owner of a company.

Well I struggle to understand your view on me and your thoughts of my requirements for my apparent own personal gain. Which are misplaced.

I apologise if I have assumed something to be incorrect.

Your views are your own and of course your entitled to them.

However if your an art dealer what knowledge or expertise do you feel you have within this chosen subject to even express a valid or valued opinion.

Just a question please don't misunderstand me.

I think we can imagine the staff turnover in the industry. Broken business model!

Job Title

Trainee Bailiffs / Enforcement Officers

Salary/Rate£25000 - £30000/annum Self Employed

Our client is the country’s largest judicial services company and they have a large number of positions for Trainee Bailiffs / Enforcement Agents executing warrants, liability orders or High Court Writs. These positions are on a self Employed basis.

Candidate Requirements:

• Be self motivated and target driven individual.

• Have excellent communication and negotiation skills.

• Be able to remain calm under pressure.

• Be able to organise own workloads on a daily basis.

• You must have a full driving licence and ability to travel.

• The ideal candidates will come from a Sales, Army, Police, Security or Prison Service.

• Commutable/covering the following areas:

This will all end in tears!

Please note: I give advice, in good faith, based on my reading and experience. Please satisfy yourself, that any advice given is accurate in content before acting upon it.

A to Z index

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

You seem to be blaming the debtor here for not paying the full amount that is required so that you have your share. If you are not getting paid, then like I said complain to the company you work for. Get a petition going, get other bailiffs to stand with you so you do get the pay that is owed, call a meeting etc. But do you really think that coming on here complaining is going to help you:?:

Well, I can't disagree (wholeheartedly at least) with your statement that most enforcement companies have no (or at best, very loose) morals.

I wouldn't know where to start, but perhaps the best course of action to change the industry, is to start your own 'equitable' enforcement company, and show the rest of them how it should be done.

If only.

That unfortunately has also been controlled by the same people acting so inappropriately.

Well I struggle to understand your view on me and your thoughts of my requirements for my apparent own personal gain. Which are misplaced.

I apologise if I have assumed something to be incorrect.

Your views are your own and of course your entitled to them.

However if your an art dealer what knowledge or expertise do you feel you have within this chosen subject to even express a valid or valued opinion.

Just a question please don't misunderstand me.

Goodness I wish I was an art dealer :lol: Im an artist, I sell my own art ;) Im as poor as the next guy or girl in this matter. Im pretty knowledgeable in this area, having plenty of experience with bailiffs etc. Im not a debtor by the way :)

Edited by seanamarts
to many matters

You seem to be blaming the debtor here for not paying the full amount that is required so that you have your share. If you are not getting paid, then like I said complain to the company you work for. Get a petition going, get other bailiffs to stand with you so you do get the pay that is owed, call a meeting etc. But do you really think that coming on here complaining is going to help you:?:

That is my plan. (Petition/union)

No you have definitely misunderstood what point I am making.

We'd welcome debtors paying less.

But the bailiff companies won't pay us for this collection.

We blame the bailiff companies and their structures of payment. Certainly not the debtor who in fairness are decent folk having a rough time of it.

They definitely don't need bailiffs banging them up early morning telling them to pay the balance in full or lose your car. Some people need that. But certainly the large majority just need a fair go to pay.

I'm trying to do everything I can for debtors to pay less.

While staying within the industry.

Because I think it can be done but for this change bailiff companies need to realise this and stop what they're doing.

Me getting another job solves nothing.

Its a shame that all bailiffs were like you, you seem a decent enough chap.

Well I can only wish you good luck and hope you get something sorted. Everyone deserves a wage for the work they do, as long as its done correctly mind ;)

Its a shame that all bailiffs were like you, you seem a decent enough chap.

Well I can only wish you good luck and hope you get something sorted. Everyone deserves a wage for the work they do, as long as its done correctly mind ;)

Thank you :)

My posts were worth it.

And I appreciate your views as this is very much the reluctance in understanding the bailiff view we all face.

Their is a misconception about bailiffs and I think the bailiff companies have hidden behind the bailiff for way to long.

Let's be open now!

Or hopefully the right person reads my posts and sees just what a can of worms this can lead to.

And fairness and equality wins.

Not me or just the debtor.

But everyone

Evening all.

I have to say it is refreshing to see that this discussion has not turned into a melee.

I find it quite interesting to read views from both sides of the fence when they are put forward in an appropriate manner.

Good to see everyone keeping this discussion under control.

Thank you :-)

Evening all.

I have to say it is refreshing to see that this discussion has not turned into a melee.

I find it quite interesting to read views from both sides of the fence when they are put forward in an appropriate manner.

Good to see everyone keeping this discussion under control.

Thank you :-)

The night is young, the crazies havnt come in yet. ;)

Joking aside, I have found it quite interesting.

From what you are saying it appears that the 'pro rata' distribution of proceeds is not filtering its way down to you as a bailiff "on the street".

I am not sure what I can suggest that you do. Is it your understanding that other bailiffs in different companies are getting a 'poorer deal' now than before 6th April ?

The night is young, the crazies havnt come in yet. ;)

Joking aside, I have found it quite interesting.

I think it shows a great level of appreciation for everybody concerned. But mostly the debtor.

And what can be created through a level of understanding.

Given through honesty and transparency, which goes a hell of a long way.

People appreciate the truth.

See... No need to change our job title from bailiff to enforcement agent. All the situation needed was a transparency and honesty. Which helps every body understand.

The discussion seems to have broadened out somewhat, from the title of the thread, From what I gather the fees are taken on a pro-rata basis by the enforcement companies, if the bailiff is not receiving the fees so deducted isn't that a matter between him and his employer, I do not really see what has to do with the debtor.

Certainly there is little we can do about the way the company treats its enforcement agents.

As for the general remarks made, have to say I dissagree with most of what has been said , bailiffs in general are opinionated bullies in my experience, the profession attracts people who enjoy the sense of power the job brings with it and again although this is a generalization it is true of the majority of bailiffs J have met.

The remarks about never not paying my bills is very telling, it betrays a singular lack of understanding for those who are unfortunate enough to be in debt, symptomatic of bailiff psychology

I believe you chose your occupation and the OP chose to be a bailiff, bailiffs are an an anachronism in this day and age and have no place in a civilized society, they are not a necessary evil nor are they (in most cases) a way of getting money from people who just refuse to pay, the are a method of getting money out of people who cannot pay, forcing them into further debt in order to get them off their backs.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

From what you are saying it appears that the 'pro rata' distribution of proceeds is not filtering its way down to you as a bailiff "on the street".

I am not sure what I can suggest that you do. Is it your understanding that other bailiffs in different companies are getting a 'poorer deal' now than before 6th April ?

Absolutely.

What was a great idea has now back fired through again a company need for a bigger slice of pie.

But it's not the overall money which is the major concern. It's how the money is distributed.

Which is controlled by what action the bailiff has to take.

It's a real shame that a lot of hard work to make these changes have been compromised through greed.

I'm sure companies will call it something else, but that's exactly what it is.

The discussion seems to have broadened out somewhat, from the title of the thread, From what I gather the fees are taken on a pro-rata basis by the enforcement companies, if the bailiff is not receiving the fees so deducted isn't that a matter between him and his employer, I do not really see what has to do with the debtor.

Certainly there is little we can do about the way the company treats its enforcement agents.

As for the general remarks made, have to say I dissagree with most of what has been said , bailiffs in general are opinionated bullies in my experience, the profession attracts people who enjoy the sense of power the job brings with it and again although this is a generalization it is true of the majority of bailiffs J have met.

The remarks about never not paying my bills is very telling, it betrays a singular lack of understanding for those who are unfortunate enough to be in debt, symptomatic of bailiff psychology

I believe you chose your occupation and the OP chose to be a bailiff, bailiffs are an an anachronism in this day and age and have no place in a civilized society, they are not a necessary evil nor are they (in most cases) a way of getting money from people who just refuse to pay, the are a method of getting money out of people who cannot pay, forcing them into further debt in order to get them off their backs.

This in part is true.

And I agree In part.

But they will always be the need for bailiffs.

And the reality is their will always be debt.

It's how you collect the debt!

This is the problem. And has been for a long time.

I work this role because I offer something different to this industry. At the risk of repeating my other posts, I certainly am not your stereotype bailiff. And offer understanding and a fairness which I fully believe should be the correct way.

Me and my bills have no reflection on me or my opinion of debt.

I have a mortgage /debt.

I lease a car /debt.

But I do everything I can in my power to pay what I owe.

There's been times when I've been found wanting.

There's been times when close family members have also needed my assistance to help pay bills.

I am not from a privileged background and work hard like everybody else. However we all have good times and bad.

But when times are bad you need good honest and decent people around you to help. This person can be in the form of a bailiff, why not??

Who says different??

You've had bad experiences with bailiffs and for that I apologies on their behalf.

I've had bad experiences with police, women, dogs, postmen, milkmen, friends and family.

But it's all police,dogs,postmen,milkmen, friends or family

It's the minority.

Notice how I leave women from the list :) joke

You would have a completely different opinion of bailiffs if your dealings had been with me.

Granted 100%

A full explanation of the problems incurred to the debtor you'll find on my other posts.

You make some great points.

But don't run the risk of becoming one of those

"We hate all bailiff people" because most are good guys.

Don't tarnish all people with the same brush on the back of some bad experience. That I don't agree with in any job title, race or religion. Everyone deserves their own respect.

And bailiffs are no different.

Every cloud has a silver lining

Not really.

As generally the people who "hate bailiffs" are people dealing with debt!

The whole point of this post was to point out the detrimental effect this will incur on debtors across the country.

So no not really.

"The whole point of this post was to point out the detrimental effect this will incur on debtors across the country."

You are telling us a bailiffs opening gambit will be cash on demand only? and their reason for refusing any offer of part payments or enter into into a payment plan is because it isn't viable to them? You predict it will become the norm for bailiffs to get heavy with debtors and remove anything that will fetch the full debt at auction? with all of this being contrary to legislation that gives clear guidance to the way the EA should carry out his duties?

Should it be the case the debtor is not intimidated by a bailiff and has nothing of value for them to take........ what will be the bailiffs next move? Your beef is with your industry and not the debtor, what you expected from posting on here is still not clear and I doubt it has served any purpose.

Talk sense you originally said I think that there was no point in EAs entering into a staged payment agreement because bailiff companies don't pay their bailiffs until the whole debt is cleared-and that can take ages. Then you seemed to suggest that it was the bailiff company who insisted that you couldn't take staged payments. And that as a result

you were being forced to go for the full amount as the company policy was not accept anything other than the full amount. Hence the extra pressure that will be put upon debtors by bailiffs.

If the latter is the case, then that is very serious and flies in the face of the new legislation.

I would be interested to see Tomtubbys take on that.

The reality of debt in the UK recently, is not a vast number of refuseniks, as in Won't Pay, admittedly there ar people like that, I suppose you as a bailiff could regard the Rev Paul Nicholson protesting about unfair court fees councils add for seeking a Liability Order as a wilful non pay and enforce harder once they have the LO.

People are these days in the main Can't Pays reduction in salaries, less hours Zero Hours Contracts , ludicrous levels of Council Tax, Water ans eye watering fuel and power. and energy bills have made it more difficult to survive, Benefit cuts have also pushed many into the hands of bailiffs who would previously not had to pay any council tax, so if their income is now below the Applicable Amount, and they cannot afford the top up from their depleted income, well there is your next customer.

You go in hard on a council estate where most are out of work, , seize all the goods on a Controlled Goods Agreement, the debtor phones Bright House, and one of their staff comes out to lay a third party claim to everything you have attempted to take control of, as yes they are on the margins and can only get credit from Brighthouse. But that is another story..

Or what about that that debtor on ESA due to that accident at work has nothing of value for you to take. apart from an analogue TV 32" tube, and a £18 Aldi DVD player and an old VHS, they have a built in oven and hob, and a microwave, which they use due to issues with dexterity from the accident, do you have the microwave that they were given to heat ready meals, the TV worth a quid etc for the debt of say £500 including £400 fees?

Would a powered wheelchair be fair game if a manual one was available?

I refer to my colleague on here Wonkeydonkey's statemant that you cannot get blood out of a stone,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I have spoke at length with my friend who is a self employed bailiff, and for the most part he agrees with "talksense".

He is working twice as hard since the new regs in april but his money he earns is down by 25/30%.

If he gains access to a property he cant just walk away, because he says the regs say unless he takes control of goods whilst he is there, if he just walks away he can not go back in - so he has to stand his ground and push for payment, because unless he gets paid in full, he wont get a penny.

Where as under the old regs if someone owed £2000 for example and offered 1/2, this would of previously been acceptable now he is having to push for full payment which a lot of people do not have.

He gets £80 from one company and £120 from another conpany for collecting a payment. Which he says is slightly less than what he was on under the old regs.

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

He also said an i thought this was interesting, that council tax has gone crap since about 18 months ago, because there are that many council bedroom tax accounts it takes up about 80% of his work and it is vertually uncollectable, but the councils have got it in their head these people still have assets to remove but in reality they very rarely do. and they are expected to do 2 visits on each address before getting more work

None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks