npower class action - anyone interested?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2135 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

how did npower fail you  

23 Caggers have voted

1. 1. how did npower fail you

• wrongful entries to credit file
    • harassment by debt collection agencies
    • no bill
    • direct debits not collected
    • no contract

Hello :-) Sorry for late replies here.

npower - instructions for legal preparation.pdf

it's at the bottom of the list. I have a solicitor lined up for the end of November

- he's been off work for personal reasons but is back at work now catching up,

so will be talking further then.

Meanwhile, I'm asking people to get all their paperwork together in a folder in preparation.

The more of us teaming up, the more clout we will have.

Regards Paul

sorry to disagree,

but the more of you who team up, the less clout you will have.

The time, expense, logistics, complication it will take

– as well as the energy and effort to round everybody up,

to communicate with everybody to instruct lawyers,

to get permission to run a group action will all take time

and will exhaust you all.

Not only that, it is much easier for Npower and much more economical for them to concentrate their resources on a single large claim

then with dealing with a whole scatter of the small claims on various issues even though some of them are overlapping.

If you score even just two or three victories, you will have the basis for a good complaint to the ombudsman and also to the press.

I'm a bit aghast as to what is going on in this thread because I see at least five people with (on the face of it) very interesting claims and yet there is no action, nobody has even begun the process. It is all talk.

I think that the contributors to this thread ought to get themselves into gear, start up new threads

– make sure that the word Npower appears in the title each time

– and then go through the entire story so that we can all start seeing what is going on,

and helping out with the best advice that we can

with a view to starting a small claim.

It shouldn't be very difficult to get a claim under way in any one of these matters within the next couple of weeks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to take N Power to Court and I had an appalling time.

The judge actually said "I don't know much about how these electricity bills work".

N Power sent a Barrister to the Court.

The Judge had not looked at my Particulars of Claim at all.

N Power only had the Ombudsman's letter as their defence.

He only looked at the Ombudsmans letter telling me that they thought N Power were in the right and dismissed my claim.

I even had a photo of the meter and the correct readings.

Not enough evidence!?

N Power didn't get costs though.

Judge told me I would have to wait until they took me to Court for the money and then defend.

I could not afford a solicitor as Legal Aid will not cover this sort of claim.

Up the creek so to speak there.

I sat in the car and cried for an hour.

I tried to take N Power to Court and I had an appalling time. The judge actually said "I don't know much about how these electricity bills work". N Power sent a Barrister to the Court. The Judge had not looked at my Particulars of Claim at all. N Power only had the Ombudsman's letter as their defence. He only looked at the Ombudsmans letter telling me that they thought N Power were in the right and dismissed my claim. I even had a photo of the meter and the correct readings. Not enough evidence!? N Power didn't get costs though. Judge told me I would have to wait until they took me to Court for the money and then defend. I could not afford a solicitor as Legal Aid will not cover this sort of claim. Up the creek so to speak there. I sat in the car and cried for an hour.

Very sorry about this. Is there a thread about it? Have there been any developments since? Did you get help from us?

Agree that it is principles at stake here. Personally and financially for me it would make more sense to write off Npowers debt to our household. However, we need to stand up for the people who cannot and would be sent into fuel poverty by this shocking ineptitude/deceit.

Sorry but the site team contributions to this thread are appalling and ill-informed. Both of you are giving erroneous advice with no legal basis. This forum is apparently not working in the interests of consumers (do you guys work for Npower or something!??)

urm..says the guy with 10 posts that is trying to entice people to join his 'big-wing' theory.

there is little evidence over the years here that any class action actually works.

better to do it individually as advise by BF.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Do your homework.

if you actually read this thread properly you might have noticed that I did not start it.

However, I'm signing off this outdated forum which seems to be run for the benefit of the site team and not consumers.

Anyone who actually wants something done [removed] which is already followed by NPower so they are worried and the telegraph.

don't slam the door please

for all the users here know you could be a no win no fee fleecer

after money and then run away.

and we've seen this many times

regards

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

There is nothing wrong with following either action. However it is best for everyone involved to make a fully informed decision as to which path to follow.

To make an informed decision both worst and best case scenario's of each action should be aired.

Dont let the parasite dca's prosper

Hi

I've just seen your post regarding npower and you sound as fed up with them as I feel. I've disputed my bills since March 2009 and they still haven't answered any of the questions I've asked them. I am sick of being fobbed off by them so if you are interested in me joining you to take them to court I will gladly join you and hopefully get some answers. Lyndsey

Hi

I've just seen your post regarding npower and you sound as fed up with them as I feel. I've disputed my bills since March 2009 and they still haven't answered any of the questions I've asked them. I am sick of being fobbed off by them so if you are interested in me joining you to take them to court I will gladly join you and hopefully get some answers. Lyndsey

If you would like to start your own thread and tell us the whole story we may be able to help you take this forward

I could be interested in a class action.

I had my meter capped about 7 years ago and was told that there would be no more bills and there were non at first,then about 4 years ago a bill arrived.arrived. Npower were contacted and the bill cancelled.

I have just received a bill back dated about 18 months all estimated(no gas used as meter capped) for £700.Npower would not talk to me as it was in my ex's name,so have had to put my name to the bill against my better judgement.The guy on the phone said we should have been paying a standing meter charge for all those years,but have never been billed,even though when the meter was capped we were told there would be no bill.I would have had it taken out if there was a standing charge.

I can see this is going to be a nightmare and I'm extremely worried about my credit rating as a run a small business registered at my home address.The stress it all generates is so unnecessary.

I could be interested in a class action.

I had my meter capped about 7 years ago and was told that there would be no more bills and there were non at first,then about 4 years ago a bill arrived.arrived. Npower were contacted and the bill cancelled.

I have just received a bill back dated about 18 months all estimated(no gas used as meter capped) for £700.Npower would not talk to me as it was in my ex's name,so have had to put my name to the bill against my better judgement.The guy on the phone said we should have been paying a standing meter charge for all those years,but have never been billed,even though when the meter was capped we were told there would be no bill.I would have had it taken out if there was a standing charge.

I can see this is going to be a nightmare and I'm extremely worried about my credit rating as a run a small business registered at my home address.The stress it all generates is so unnecessary.

There is no point and no possibility of taking a group action in this matter. I know that there is a Facebook page which apparently is trying to rally people to bring an action together.

This is a great idea but it never works. We have seen lots of Facebook groups start up to bring collective actions against all sorts of companies but in the end the group stagnates and people's anger and energy dissipates. Bringing a collective action needs a unity of purpose and also a similar cause of action – and this is not the case here. People have many complaints against Npower and they all seem to be rather different from each other which means that they are different issues. To bring a group action you need to have a single issue which can be litigated on behalf of everybody so that the judgement applies to all.

Group actions in the United Kingdom are not at all the same as class actions in the United States – which are far easier to bring and far more effective.

The only time that is worth considering a collective action in the United Kingdom is where there are very large sums of money at stake. Actions against npower or any other company for a few hundred quid time are impossible.

You should also realise that if you litigate on your own, you have access to the small claim system and all the benefits of the lack of risk of costs in the event that you lose. If you try to bring a group action, you will have to instruct lawyers and there will be money needed or else there will be agreements put in place to pay money in the event of a win. In the event of a loss, the costs of the winning side will have to be collected from all of the losers.

We have already been helping user Plucked Chick http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?377214-N-Power-being-thick and we have made remarkable progress in the whole matter in only three or four days. Over the weekend her thread will be updated and you will be able to see the a solution and a victory against npower is well in sight. This would not have been possible with a group action.

If you want to challenge npower then I suggest that you start your own new thread on the forum. Tell us your whole story carefully and chronologically and we will see what we can do to help you. From the brief outline that you have posted so far it doesn't seem to me that the issues are too difficult or that the solution is too complicated.

It's up to you.

Hi,

I would listen to the advice that Bank Fodder has given you. We are making progress and the help and advice I have been given has moved me forward more in three days than it has in three years. It is stressful but once you start making progress it eases as you feel you are not alone in this struggle against one of "The Big Six" as they like to be called. Take care, good luck.

PC

• Haha 1

Hi I have had a similar issue:

My story is on par with the report in the Telegraph below:

I have been dealing with npower for over 18 months now in an attempt to resolve the continuous incorrect billing of my account.

Countless letters, emails phone calls. I too had a call-back from the executive team - they have had and appear to continue to have horrendous problems with their billing system and until this is resolved they are just papering over the cracks.

I have set aside considerable time to try and resolve my problem and the final straw was to receive another bill after 13 times being told that there was no money owed and in fact the account was in credit which they were contractually obliged to pay back to me.

Then the 14th bill arrived...and I had had enough...I started court proceedings to recover my expenses/lost earnings culminating in a Bailiff being sent to npower offices - only then did I hear back from them. They then submitted evidence that showed 13 instances of invoices being reversed this is now the 14th time I have had to request this! 14 re-bills in 18 months and still not right - that is horrendous.

However even now after legal proceedings, contacting the ombudsman and an email to the executive team - I get no response, my emails go unanswered, executive team promise to call me back but no-one does. I suspect that the only recourse now is the media. I have contacted Watchdog and the Telegraph today and I suspect if enough of us got together we could make a difference. Every post you look at turns into a tirade of complaints about bills, customer service etc.

I also believe all these cases would be especially pertinent given the Ombudsman’s formal investigation into customer complaints at Npower more especially given the comments by the CEO Paul Massara that “no customer would be left out of pocket” as a result of billing failures

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Please can you tell us more about the court proceedings - but in a new thread please

Hello, I have a solicitor lined up for further discussion on this - whilst it would be good for everyone to take individual action, I suspect that few people are confident enough do do it themselves - dealing with an N1 form etc can be off putting and of course it takes time and effort. I am fortunate in that I have been to small claims court many times. A class/group action makes it easier for people to do things. What I would say to everyone with an npower problem is to issue a small claim because the authorities in my experience have been a complete waste of time - I have sent all my evidence to the ICO, Energy ombudsman, financial ombudsman and they have done a big NOTHING. Several people have successfully sued npower (the "My npower nightmare" group on Facebook has a download files section with numerous articles there showing this), but it needs something bigger in a proper court to get attention - small claims are a bit hit and miss and do not exercise due legal process as a proper court would. I doubt a small claims court judge wouldl have the time to properly explore all the wrongful doings of npower of which there are a multitude.hence a group action is needed.

If anyone has already made progress towards a group action against npower, count me in :-) Alternatively please join me in my pursuit of this - I am talking to a solicitor at end of month when his case load has thinned out. Have spoken to him before and I believe he is the right man for the job. Regards Paul

Hello, I have a solicitor lined up for further discussion on this - whilst it would be good for everyone to take individual action, I suspect that few people are confident enough do do it themselves - dealing with an N1 form etc can be off putting and of course it takes time and effort. I am fortunate in that I have been to small claims court many times. A class/group action makes it easier for people to do things. What I would say to everyone with an npower problem is to issue a small claim because the authorities in my experience have been a complete waste of time - I have sent all my evidence to the ICO, Energy ombudsman, financial ombudsman and they have done a big NOTHING. Several people have successfully sued npower (the "My npower nightmare" group on Facebook has a download files section with numerous articles there showing this), but it needs something bigger in a proper court to get attention - small claims are a bit hit and miss and do not exercise due legal process as a proper court would. I doubt a small claims court judge wouldl have the time to properly explore all the wrongful doings of npower of which there are a multitude.hence a group action is needed.

I notice that you say that several people have already brought their own actions and have won. That is excellent news - and that is the only way to get things done.

If those people would like to come here and describe their successful actions then they will be very welcome and it will encourage others. In the meantime a Facebook group to start a class action will not work and will merely dilute people's energy and anger. I am very sorry to say this but it is the truth.

Tell us all about your action on a new thread. People would appreciate very much if you would share it with us.

Good to have such a positive outlook - do you speak from experience of having been through a group action before?

We both full know that I haven't been through one but I do speak with the experience of having seen many groups try to get one going and eventually running out of steam.

I'm really not at all here to trade or score points with you. Start a group action if you want. I wish the best of luck and I really do mean that. However, I don't expect that a group action against Npower will ever get off the ground as much as I would like to be wrong.

Please do start a separate thread and share your litigation success with others. It would help a lot of people.

• 3 years later...