Haggling at Currys

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3512 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just to reiterate what has been said a couple of times above, don't take out the extended warranty.

It depends on what you are buying and the value of that item if you can haggle or not. If it's a computer or that type of thing, don't say 'ok, I'll go to PC world' as that is the same company.

We bought a washing machine and also needed a vacuum cleaner. When I pointed it out to the girl, she said hang on and disappeared. When she reappeared she said 'ok, the manager says he will throw that in as well'. So we hadn't asked for that as a gift, but got it anyway. So have a careful think while you are in there.

You don't have to buy from them, if they won't haggle, then go somewhere else.

Last time I checked they also had a price match policy for any other stores in the local vicinity (though not for internet prices) so make sure to check around first as well to see if anywhere nearby is doing the same item cheaper and ask Currys if they'll beat the price/deal that the other place is offering you.

If you are going to price match don't buy from Currys, the after service should you ever need it is terrible. Go to John Lewis, they price match.

Alternatively try Richer Sounds or Costco but don't spend your money at Currys, they are the worst.

£1 a month not bad. But from experience with Currys, they will make it hard to claim for "accidental damage". Had a TV that a dyson vacuum cleaner fell onto and damaged some pixels. They wouldn't accept it was accidental and told me it was carelessness that caused it. Argued with them until they finally accepted to repair, but then never heard anything from them again. Last time I will buy any warranty from Currys.

Do a search for "Currys What ever happens" on Google. You will find many results (some from this site) about how they get out of it.

I haggled £50 my oven for taking the extended warranty... then I cancelled the DD before they got any payment :p

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Currys what ever happens= they will fob you off as you are not important to them

I don't know, my friend returned a camera he'd dropped and wasn't working anymore and they changed it immediately.

Probably just luck :-D

• 2 months later...
I haggled £50 my oven for taking the extended warranty... then I cancelled the DD before they got any payment :p

I've done this as well (at the salesperson's suggestion). Also had reduction for ex-display oven.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.