NatWestt CC - OFT Report 2006 Referenced

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3574 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm about to prepare to submit a claim to Court in respect of Credit Card charges (over limit and late payment fees) incurred between 2001 and 2006. I have all my statements thanks to a Subject Access Request.

NatWest have, obviously, refuted my claim thus far. However I'm particular interested in two paragraphs contained within their last letter to me on 3 July, which reads:

"Following the publication of the OFT report in April 2006 Royal Bank of Scotland reduced its default charges to £12. Our charges of £12 are in line with the actual and estimated costs of default and with the general legal principles outlined by the Office of Fair Trading's April 2006 statement.

It is under the above ruling that we would only review charges applied within the last 6 years, any charges applied prior to this would fall outside the statute of limitations as advised previously."

I had already made reference to to the precedent set between KLEINWORT BENSON -v- LINCOLN CITY COUNCIL under section 32 © of the limitation act 1980 in my previous letter to NatWest. Is it worth following that up now with something to specifically address the two paragraphs above before moving on to Court action?

Any suggestions and/or advice would be much appreciated :-)

As this is to do with a claim, I will move your thread to the General Legal issues, where I am sure those who will be able to help will do so.

You dont need to do anything, this is purely an administrative move.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The OFT statement only said that they would not investigate charges of £12 and under.

Their same report said that it was not for the to say whether they were fair and only a court could decide on that.

The OFT statement also has nothing to do with the Limitations Act or has any influence on it.

Have you done a "Letter Before Action" yet or just a preliminary letter of claim?

Have you done a "Letter Before Action" yet or just a preliminary letter of claim?

I've sent both to date, and both included a Schedule of Charges spreadsheet with the incurred fees itemised, compound interest etc.

My last letter to them (01 July) referenced the above case law and included a final paragraph stating; "If you do not comply fully within 14 days, I shall begin a Court claim against you..." etc, so they know I intend to use court action rather than the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Thread moved to Financial Legal Issues.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?423796-SabreSheep-Vs-Natwest-Moorcroft

May be of some use to you.

I am currently in the litigation phase, I have served NW and had some pre defense correspondence with their litigation team.

I should get their defence back this week or early next week. It appears they will not like the contract interest part of the claim. They will state an authority that says you are not entitled to compound interest. (Although that authority does state you are if you read the case in detail)

You might want to switch to claiming interest in restitution as It is easier to calculate and does not require you to tie yourself up in knots working out interest charged for different periods. You would also be able to claim statutory interest on top.

Another good thread is this one for Barclaycard.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?309037-Charges-older-than-6-years-***WON***-Compound-Int-t-and-**NO-SET-OFF**/page4

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I've sent both to date, and both included a Schedule of Charges spreadsheet with the incurred fees itemised, compound interest etc.

My last letter to them (01 July) referenced the above case law and included a final paragraph stating; "If you do not comply fully within 14 days, I shall begin a Court claim against you..." etc, so they know I intend to use court action rather than the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Ok so you do not need to enter into any correspondence with them. They have given you a refusal to refund so now you just proceed via the courts.

You might want to switch to claiming interest in restitution as It is easier to calculate and does not require you to tie yourself up in knots working out interest charged for different periods. You would also be able to claim statutory interest on top.

Thanks. Would changing to interest in restitution be possible though in my instance? The charges were applied over 6 years ago now (2001-2006). The interest rate I added to my SOC was 19.4%, which was their rate at the time (I think, I might need to double-check that)...

You would need to reissue your claim letter and lba to change the complaint

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

be warned though there are no real sucess stories on Natwest with restitution. It appears I may be the first to have one if it goes my way

be warned though there are no real sucess stories on Natwest with restitution. It appears I may be the first to have one if it goes my way

Has no one else tried before? That seems odd. Any failed attempts thus far?

No failed attepts I can see either

although search under RBS as it is RBS you will be dealing with

Interesting, seems like you're gonna be the first to possibly be successful then like you said.

On a related note, I paid the balance and closed the credit card account concerned with my claim back in July 2006. In respect of compound interest on the charges, does this mean I should only calculate interest up until the date of closure of the account? I've assumed that was the correct method, but would appreciate some clarity if anyone is able to advise?