• Tweets

• HSBC has announced the closure of 82 sites across the UK as part of a wider strategy to create four new types of branches View the full article
    • @BankFodder   I have obtained 3x independent Quotes, the average of the quotes was 24,000 including VAT but not including things like sanitary ware if that is damaged trying to rectify his works or new tiles.  In addition I have already spent £1000 and anticipate needing temporary accomodation for at least 1month but it is hard to know how long the works will take.    Here is a chronological bullet points of events, which I have sent to the builder and attempts at communications, it is still not short.    May 2018- works began October/November  2018 Original work completed. 19th April 2019- first contacted builder with regards to patio doors; said he would get back to me. May 2019- apologised for the delay and said he had hurt his knee  17th June 2019-  I chased him and said there were further issues I wanted to discuss and asked for him to arrange a walk through- we were unable to agree to a suitable time due to him only being available whilst I was at work.  My lodger then was ill and I suggested waiting until after his trip to glastonbury, .  4th July 2019- he contacted me to arrange times which responded to. I didn't get any further response. 26th July 2019- I chased him- no response. 31st July 2019- bumped into him in the street and he said things were tricky at home with his child and would be in touch. 9th August 2019- had heard nothing so chased again.  Further conversation. 18th August 2019- he contacted to ask if I was free on 19th august, we arranged that would be ok for you to come for a walk through 19th august 2019.  he came to look at the issues- patio doors, bathroom grout behind shower, shower seal (it was leaking), bubbling& cracking plaster in the bathroom, joins of plasterboard buldging, loose floor tiles, sticking windows in the loft (unable to lock or close with ease) , leaking back porch , cracks on joints of plaster, gaps in frame of doors, gaps around and under fire doors, staircase looking not straight.   We arranged for him to come on 3rd September. 2nd September 2019- he messaged to say that he was no longer able to attend the following day due to meetings regarding his child. Asked for key to let himself in and do it when he was able to whilst I was at work.  I responded and suggested some local services to help with his family circumstances.  Also outlined priorities and said I wasn't willing to leave a key as I wished to be there. I suggested he propose another suitable date.  4th October 2019- he got in touch with a proposed date of 15th.  5th October 2019 I agreed and asked if the back bedroom plasterwork (outstanding from completion) could be done then too.  I got no response. 6th October 2019- I contacted him to alert him to the face that the roof was leaking through the bathroom light. I said i felt it needed to be resolved before the 15th October when he planned to be here as it was an active leak.    11th October 2019- he messaged to say that you contacted my partner when unable to get in touch with me,  he no longer wished to speak via my partner as he mentioned reporting him if he didn't start resolving things.  11th october phonecall- arranged 16th October  instead of 15th to come over to do things.  15th October 2019- i contacted again to say that the bathroom leak has worsened.  he responded to say that he would be there on 16th as arranged.  I responded to say that this was for information purposes to let him know it wasn't an isolated incident. 16th October- he did not come to the house. he texted to say that his day was consumed by his daughter and he would come the following week (w/c 21st).  21st October- he messaged to say the ladder he needed had not arrived and he wouldn't be coming until Wednesday 23rd. 23rd October- I messaged to ask what time to expect him.  he replied to say not until saturday or sunday.  26th October- he messaged to say he was off to merchants and would be here at 9 and he planed  to start in the shower room. he then messaged to say nearer 9.30. I said ok. then he said 10.  I messaged to ask what the hold up was as I had to go out to get something.  he arrived around 10.30. 26th October2019 -  Bathroom-he was to regrout shower, floor , fix the silicone seal and fix the fall on the shower drainage.  He did the sillicone, in white (not clear as previous) and although sealed, the silicone is extremely messy .  The grout is still cracked or missing from between the shower tiles.  the floor- he removed and redid a tile but this was not flat to the floor and the tiles are loose once again.    I also raised the bubbling of paint and the plasterboard joins etc and he suggested this was due to me not doing a proper mist coat (which I did) when decorating. he wet vacuumed the drain in the shower which didn't resolve anything.  Back porch- he was to rectify this as it was leaking- he coated this in something rubbery I believe.  On this day he also went onto the loft roof and was to recoat and reseal.  patio doors- adjusted, UPVC windows upstairs adjusted.   he left saying he would check warranty on the UPVC glazing items and would  be in touch to see how things were but did not get in touch.    31st October-  I had the back, lower bedroom replastered by someone else to fix issues caused by him not weather proofing the loft when the roof had been removed and his men putting their feet through the ceiling 3 times.    16th february 2020- I contacted him to let him know the patio doors were leaking at the joins, the bottom as well as part way up the frame at the join to the wall.  I let him know there were still issues with other things such as the shower, drain,  etc and I got no reponse.  (At this stage the roof was not leaking again)    18th february-  I emailed to the same effect as 16th Feb.  I included photographs.  I got no response.    May 2020- my roof began to leak again.  28th May 2020-  I contacted my insurance legal helpline who suggested I get quotes from independent builders to find a middle quote.  This took some time- many builders in the area were either not working due to covid, had long waiting lists or did not wish to take on the job because it was rectifying mistakes.    June 2020- I began to  collate all information regarding this situation, printed and filed all original communications, quotes, estimates and invoices.    September 2020- had the final quote, submitted a claim for legal assistance to my  insurer.     October- 2020- claim denied by legal cover.  complained.  Ongoing.    October 2020- contacted builder again (from another number, he answered!) with all information,  including other quotes, photographs. Said I was looking for refund/partial refund to cover the cost of rectification of works plus consequential losses and inconvenience.  Asked if he was willing to engage to try to rectify.  He said he had lots on and wasn't able to fix it and I said I wasn't looking for him to do this, I was looking for refund to cover the cost of fixing.  he said he had insurance and would contact his broker.    November2020- admitted fault and says he used the wrong tape on the roof.  Says he has submitted a claim through his broker, he asked me for a timeline, which I provided as above.  I have asked for a claim reference number, the insurance company details or any info he has about the process and expected timeline.  He ignored this request. December 2020- I contacted again  several times , asking again for the insurance details and if he would be willing to organise scaffolding and a temporary roof to mitigate his losses and prevent further damage to my home.  He ignored any information and the request to weatherproof the house, he just kept texting to say 'no news' then told me he was going on Annual leave until January 4th 2021.    January 2021, he has not contacted me and so I sent the above letter which I included in my OP.                     
    • they cant they are powerless to do anything anyway...how many more times!   a very strongly worded by pleading letter will be going from you by friday simply let them sweat.  
    • I’m curious as to what CCP will do now? I presume another DCA to try and recover?
    • i doubt you do owe it EON's billing system was crap at that period we've not lost any of these lowell old util bill claims yet.   pers i'd run this till the very end they usually discontinue at the last moment and even if you lose as long as its paid in 28days it won't show nor hurt you.
  • Our picks

• Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies
    • Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2390 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

right this come out of my pay if my pay go down can this order be stop ,fill form in on debt line pay let over £26 month the court said the debt part my wife how this it my debt in come £1453 month pay out

£1431 so how do count work i can pay £100 month

I dont quite understand what you are asking of us..

http://www.stepchange.org/Debtinformationandadvice/Whatyourcreditorscando/Courtaction/EnglandWalescourtaction/Attachmentofearnings.aspx?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=2501557&WT.seg_1=attachment%20of%20earnings%20calculator&gclid=CKmv27absb8CFcbKtAodc2wARg

The link above will take you to a calculator that will work out how much you should be asked to pay. Did you provide the court with an income and expenditure form ?

The following link gives advice on what you can do if you believe it is too much - you will need to scroll down for the information.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/debt_w/debt_action_your_creditor_can_take_e/creditor_takes_money_from_your_wages.htm

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Attachment of earnings is a percentage of earnings and not a fixed amount:

Weekly Pay:

Net Weekly Earnings - Weekly Deductions - Deduction Rate

Not Exceeding £75 - Nil - 0%

Exceeding £75 but not exceeding £135 - £2.25 to £4.05 - 3%

Exceeding £135 but not exceeding £185 - £6.75 to £9.25 - 5%

Exceeding £185 but not exceeding £225 - £12.95 to £15.75 - 7%

Exceeding £225 but not exceeding £355 - £27.00 to £42.60 - 12%

Exceeding £355 but not exceeding £505 - £60.35 to £85.85 - 17%

Exceeding £505 - Minimum £85.85 - 17% in respect of the first £505 and 50% of the remainder

Monthly Pay: Net Monthly Earnings Monthly Deductions Deduction Rate

Not Exceeding £300 Nil 0%

Exceeding £300 but not exceeding £550 £9.00 to £16.50 3%

Exceeding £550 but not exceeding £740 £27.50 to £37.00 5%

Exceeding £740 but not exceeding £900 £51.80 to £63.00 7%

Exceeding £900 but not exceeding £1,420 £108.00 to £170.40 12%

Exceeding £1,420 but not exceeding £2,020 £241.40 to £343.40 17%

Exceeding £2,020 Minimum £343.40 17% in respect of the first £2,020 and 50% in respect of the remainder

Edited by Conniff

all i can say the law looks after any think to do with banks it was the bank that got the country like is, not the workers ,all the bank around the world were bailed out by the government with taxes paid from the tax payers pocket they still got there jobs and there big Bonuses each year still some of us are still working hard to get right , i am in good mind to pack job in and go on the benefits i work 43 year and in real time done 62.5 years with all the over time i done

Hi ladaniva

For you to be able to get better advice to assist you could I please ask if you could give us a brief summary of the events from the start till now (without any personal identifying information).

At present it is difficult to understand exactly what advice your looking for.

If you could help us out you will get advice to help you.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group