• Tweets

• I can only speak from personal experience. But a similar thing happened to me. Seriously dented door.  I made the other insurance pay. They regarded it as a write off. Took the money, replaced the door. Never heard anything more about it.    Except clearly someone sold my details to claims company, because I got loads of calls in bad English for a few month's 
    • The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Capquest DrydensFairfax claimform & Stat Demand

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3546 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm on it, claim was issued at the end of June so a little while, will draft a defence for review and submit if nothing recd by Wednesday. I doubt anything will arrive as it is clear they are intending to frustrate things by continuing to send any info or responses to an address they know is 7 years out of date at least...

yes they'll try anything

whatever he does

DO NOT miss filing a defence on midnight day 33 [day 1 is claimform issue date]

even if its the holding no paperwork one.

dx

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on it, claim was issued at the end of June so a little while, will draft a defence for review and submit if nothing recd by Wednesday. I doubt anything will arrive as it is clear they are intending to frustrate things by continuing to send any info or responses to an address they know is 7 years out of date at least...

I'll have to do it I know, they are relying on me to help (very trusting !! eek!!) if nothing arrives should I just go with embarrassed defence as no p/wrk?

Hi All,

Absolutely nothing received so how do you respond to the claim?

I cant answer any of the points in their claim as have not received anything to work on !

Do I just say I cannot answer as the claimant has not provided any information?

Response is due tomorrow I believe (claim date 30/06) work is interfering with the amount of time I can spend on this at present

and am conscious if I don't get a response in they may get a judgement by default..

. Sods law that work has just gone bonkers in the last week or so!

Help, my colleague is relying on me !!

Cheers

Bongo

Do I just say on xxx date a cca request was sent to the oc which they have failed to satisfy

and so the alleged account is in dispute as of xxx further to this a subsequent request for the CCA

and a CPR request was sent on xxx date and the claimant appears unable to provide any paperwork

as they have written on xxxx to say that they will request information from their client.

In addition the claimant continues to send correspondence to an address they know to be incorrect, seemingly in an attempt to delay or confuse matters?

Any help appreciated !!

Hi All,

Absolutely nothing received so how do you respond to the claim? I cant answer any of the points in their claim as have not received anything to work on ! Do I just say I cannot answer as the claimant has not provided any information? Response is due tomorrow I believe (claim date 30/06) work is interfering with the amount of time I can spend on this at present and am conscious if I don't get a response in they may get a judgement by default... Sods law that work has just gone bonkers in the last week or so! Help, my colleague is relying on me !!

Cheers

Bongo

I've put this together by modifying another post I found that seemed similar;

If this goes to court can I represent my friend as they will go to pieces in front of a judge i'm sure ! is this allowed ? I responded on their behalf to the claim initially.

1. In the NorthamptonCounty Court

Claim number XXXXXXXX

Between

Capquest etc Claimant

and

XXXXXXXXXX – Defendant

DEFENCE

1. I, XXX of XXXXXXXXXXXX am The Defendant in this action and make thefollowing statement as my defence to the claim made by Capquest

2. Except where otherwise mentioned in this defence, I neither admit nor denyany allegation made in The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim and put The Claimantto strict proof thereof.

3. The Claimant’s Particulars of Claim are vague; they appear to be an abuse ofthe process in that they fail to deal with the basic rules of pleading inaccordance with the civil procedure rules. (Even allowing for the constraintsof the bulk issue system)

4. No documents supporting the claim in the particulars have been offered whichThe Defendant needs to establish what agreement it is that this action is basedupon and so The Claimant's claim appears without merit.

5. On receipt of the claim form The Defendant sent a CPR 31.14 request for acopy of the agreement, default notice, notice of assignment and a statement ofaccount showing how the amount claimed has been reached which form the basis ofthis claim.

6. The Defendant also twice sent a formal request pursuant to s.77/78 of theConsumer Credit Act 1974 for a copy of the agreement, initially on xxx xxx 2009 and again on receipt of theclaim form along with the CPR31.14 mentioned in point 5.

7. It has been confirmed via the Royal Mail website that the above letters werereceived and signed for.

8. To date the only response received on xxx July 2014 suggested that the matteris on hold, no further communication has been received, nor have any documentsbeen provided.

9. As a result, the Claimants claim does not contain sufficient particulars topermit me to file a properly particularised and pleaded defence. I am at adisadvantage to respond to this claim. Consequently, I deny all allegations onthe particulars of claim and put the Claimant to strict proof thereof.

10. It is denied that I have an agreement with Capquest xxx.

11. If, which is not admitted, such an agreement exists, the precise terms anddate of any such agreement are not admitted. I do not have in my possession anysuch agreement and am not therefore able to comment thereon. The Claimant isput to strict proof as to the date and terms of such agreement.

12. Without admission that any cause of action is shown by The Claimant it isdenied that I am indebted to The Claimant as alleged or at all.

13 It is alleged the Claimant has an agreement and there has been anAssignment. Within the proof of claim it was stated that there had been anassignment to the Claimant by letter without any particular details such as adate. Indeed the claimant continues to issue correspondence, including thisclaim, to an address they are fully aware is not current, and has not been sofor a number of years.

As such itis contended that no such Notice of Assignment has been served pursuant toSection 136(1) of the Law of Property Act 1925. Without a Notice of Assignment,The Assignment is merely equitable and The Claimant is put to strict proof todisclose this and prove that this claim can commence in their own name.

14. AND the Defendant

Seeks an order that The Claimant’s action is struck out or otherwise isdismissed on the grounds that any claim cannot succeed.

i. Alternatively if the court decides not to strike out The Claimant’s case, itis requested that The Court orders full disclosure of the requested documentspursuant to the civil procedure Rules.

ii. The Defendant respectfully asks the permission of The Court to amend thisdefence if or when The Claimant provides full disclosure of the requesteddocuments and allows inspection of the original documents.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this defence are true.

have a look at this one

its not called embarrassed anymore its holding

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?428750-Mortimer-cabot-claim-form-fashion-world-cat-debt&p=4584797#post4584797

please do not file until its been checked

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

by Friday midnight you must file

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

by Friday midnight you must file

dx

Hi yes understood will await confirmation, anything sent by them will not be received in time if they continue to send to the old address. From my viewpoint unfortunately work is getting in the way and am doing my best not to let them down by missing the filing date, as I know they are relying on me to help them with this, but my time, as I guess is yours, is limited !

Here are the POC if this helps;

1. The claim is for the sum of xxx. xx in respect of monies owing by the defendant on a credit agreement held by the defendant with Sainsbury's bank under account number xxxx etc upon which the defendant failed to maintain payments.

2. A default notice was served upon the defendant and has not been complied with

3. By virtue of a sale agreement between Sainsbury's bank PLC and the claimant the claim vested in the claimant who has a genuine commercial interest. The defendant has been notified of the assignment by letter.

Contact drydensfairfax on 0113 823 3430

signed drydens ltd t/a drydensfairfax - Claimants Solicitor - claiming £70 solicitors costs plus £60 court fee

Seems I have two days to file a defence for my colleague, as I am not likely to be in the UK Friday eve I have slightly less time than I would've liked so could anyone provide any guidance as to whether the defence in the post above is any good? too much, not enough? Help !

Help ! I only have a few hours left when I get home from work tonight to file this defence, can anyone guide me?

Hoping someone can help ? only have a few hours left as not here tomorrow and defence has to be in then...

have a look at this one

its not called embarrassed anymore its holding

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?428750-Mortimer-cabot-claim-form-fashion-world-cat-debt&p=4584797#post4584797

please do not file until its been checked

Have you looked at the link defence provided by DX ? Have you had a go adapting it to suit your particulars?

The ethos of CAG is a self help forum we will assist but we cant do it all for you......at least have a go at drafting something and then it can be checked to see if its compliant.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Andy,

I did draft a defence but I don't know what is different or what is wrong with it, neither make sense to me, see post 30 above, is this ok, if not what is wrong with it? I don't understand all of the terminology so im at a loss as to whether this is right or wrong? That's why I am asking for help, I don't know what i'm doing, I understand it is a self help environment so have tried my best to answer it, but if I don't know how to construct it, or the finer points hence asking for help.

Bongo

is this all I need to say then? seems very brief? This bit wasn't posted until after I last read that link again this morning, is this it, or with the rest? ther eare so many differnet things said in the one response list i'm not sure what is correct?

On receipt of the claim I requested information to claify the claim by requesting a CPR 31.14 dated xxxxxxx the claimant has failed to respond.

On receipt of the claim I requested a copy of the agreement by way of a section 78 requested dated xxxxxx the claimant had 12+2 days to comply...to this date they have failed to respond and therefore are in default of this request.I understand the claimant is prevented from seeking any relief or enforcing any agreement until such time they seek to comply.

Furthermore it is brought to the courts attention that claimant failed to serve any letter before actionlink3.gif and therefore has not complied with pre action protocol

Im not sure which if any other threads you are looking at but the above will not suffice and will be dismissed by the court.

Here is a typical particular and response defence.

Particulars of Claim

1.The Claimants Claim is for the Sum of ******** being monies due from the defendant to the claimant under a financial services agreement regulated by the credit consumer act 1974 between the defendant and the consumer under account ref: ************ and assigned to the claimant on ******** notice of which has been given to the defendant.

2.The defendant failed to maintain the contractual payment under the terms of the agreement and a default notice has been served and not complied with.

The claim also includes statutory interest pursuant to the section 69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum a daily rate of 0.26p from the date of assignment of the agreement to the date of the issue() being amount of *****

Defence

The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.

1. Paragraph 1 is not admitted with regards to the Defendant entering in to an Agreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim ('the Agreement') with the Claimant as the Defendant did not enter into any Agreement with the Claimant nor ever been served with a Notice of Assignment.

2. . Paragraph 2 is not admitted with regards to the Claimant serving a default notice in connection with the alleged contractual Agreement as the Defendant did not enter into any Agreement with the Claimant.

3. On receipt of this claim I requested information pertaining to this claim from BW Legal and Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd by way of a CPR 31.14 request. To date, a response has been received on 21/07/14 from BW Legal which advised they will contact me within 7 days. No reply has been forthcoming since then, also a request under section 78 was made and a reply from BW Legal and Lowell Portfolio 1 Ltd on 16/07/14 again said the documentation would be provided within 12 days, no reply has been forthcoming since then.

Therefore with the court’s permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and

(b) show how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed for;

© show how the agreement was legally terminated to allow the claimant relief.

(d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5, it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

5. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974.

6. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Ive just taken the above from the link you suggested, it is a post you had made today? I'm grateful for the help, truly I am, all I was asking for was a response / guidance on the draft defence I had put together in the post number 30 in this thread. thank you for the guidance above, i'll adapt and send as I have now only 4 hours before I have to be back at work. I'm beginning to wish I had never offered to help my colleague as it seems im just making things worse.... apologies if I have caused any offence!

you have until midnight tomorrow not today

dx

and they

No apologies necessary...but by assisting your friend you want to get it right otherwise the blame will come back to you once they have a CCJ.

All defences must be CPR compliant (CPR Civil Procedure Rules) and as a defendant you either admit or deny or seek clarification...so by drafting it correctly you stand more chance of the court accepting it and also the claimant backing off if they feel they cant comply to your response.

Andy

No apologies necessary...but by assisting your friend you want to get it right otherwise the blame will come back to you once they have a CCJ.

All defences must be CPR compliant (CPR Civil Procedure Rules) and as a defendant you either admit or deny or seek clarification...so by drafting it correctly you stand more chance of the court accepting it and also the claimant backing off if they feel they cant comply to your response.

Andy

Thank you, am I right in thinking that they haven't claimed relief ? relief is interest and the like at the court rate, so section c and section 6 is not relevant to this particular claim as they are not asking for the 8% or whatever it is?

Andy

So bring your particulars forward and copy and paste the above below it so you can refer to their points...number them as above and respond with the same numbers using the above as an example and edit to suit.......you can still submit before you retire to bed.

No relief in legal terms is the enforcement of a agreement....sec69 is what the court can add onto the judgment if successful.

Ok, here goes, how is this?

Particulars of the Claim

1. The claim is for the sum of xxx. xx inrespect of monies owing by the defendant on a credit agreement held by the defendantwith Sainsbury's bank under account number xxxx etc upon which the defendantfailed to maintain payments.

2. A default notice was served upon the defendant and has not been compliedwith

3. By virtue of a sale agreement between Sainsbury's bank PLC and the claimantthe claim vested in the claimant who has a genuine commercial interest. The defendant hasbeen notified of the assignment by letter.

Defence

The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and generic innature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific responsehas not been made.

1. Paragraph 1 is not admitted with regards to the Defendant entering in to anAgreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim ('the Agreement') with theClaimant as the Defendant did not enter into any Agreement with the Claimantnor ever been served with a Notice of Assignment.

2. Paragraph 2 is not admitted with regards to the Claimant serving a defaultnotice in connection with the alleged contractual Agreement as the Defendantdid not enter into any Agreement with the Claimant.

3. On receipt of this claim I requested information pertaining to this claimfrom Drydens Fairfax by way of a CPR 31.14 request. To date, a response hasbeen received on 25/07/14, (dated 17/07/2014) from Drydens Fairfax noting thecontents of the correspondence, suggesting the matter is on hold whilst theyclarify the current position and seek further instructions from their client.No further correspondence has been received since then, also a request undersection 78 was made at the same time, and again no reply has been forthcomingsince then.

Therefore with the court’s permission the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and

(b) show how the Claimant has reached the amount claimed for;

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equityto issue a claim;

(d) show how the agreement was legallyterminated to allow the claimant relief

4. As per Civil Procedure Rule16.5, it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money isowed.

5. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is deniedthat the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act1974.

6. By reasons of the facts and matters setout above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed orany relief.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this defence are true.

A lot better but look at your point 1 and then theirs they do not mention assignment until point 3 so move your reference to assignment to your 3.

A statement of truth is not required for defences submitted through MCOL (Northampton) as your submission is under oath anyway.