Temporary 50mph speed restriction on motorway

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3526 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I was travelling to London from Leicester on Saturday 7th June 2014.

I went through several M1 southbound road works and mostly kept up with packs of motor cars and only checked my speed gauge at the beginning of the road works to ensure I complied. There were two occasions when I had to overtake, once when a driver was down to 40mph and created a huge gap ahead with a long line of tailback. The second time was when the driver ahead of me was texting on the mobile and at times quite erratic, the lanes being quite narrow and so choosing a moment of safety I rushed to overtake. Please see attached[ATTACH=CONFIG]52002[/ATTACH] "Notice of intended prosecution" dated 11th June 2014 but actually received 18th June 2014. I have not responded yet and seek advise as to what action I should take from hereon. I do not exceed speed limits. I have clean driving licence.

hello,

I am sure that someone else would be able to advise you.

In the meantime, it may be a good idea to remove your personal details (name and address) from the uploaded Notice Of Intended Prosecution.

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

hello,

I am sure that someone else would be able to advise you.

In the meantime, it may be a good idea to remove your personal details (name and address) from the uploaded Notice Of Intended Prosecution.

Thank you for alerting me. I shall rectify this immediately. in the meantime how do I retrieve/withdraw/delete the original that I attached?

Hello,

I was travelling to London from Leicester on Saturday 7th June 2014.

I went through several M1 southbound road works and mostly kept up with packs of motor cars and only checked my speed gauge at the beginning of the road works to ensure I complied. There were two occasions when I had to overtake, once when a driver was down to 40mph and created a huge gap ahead with a long line of tailback. The second time was when the driver ahead of me was texting on the mobile and at times quite erratic, the lanes being quite narrow and so choosing a moment of safety I rushed to overtake. Please see attached[ATTACH=CONFIG]52002[/ATTACH] "Notice of intended prosecution" dated 11th June 2014 but actually received 18th June 2014. I have not responded yet and seek advise as to what action I should take from hereon. I do not exceed speed limits. I have clean driving licence.

You say you do not exceed speed limits - how do you know if you "only checked my speed gauge at the beginning of the road works" - were the roadworks over quite some distance.

Are you saying they are in error and the vehicle stated wasn't doing 60 in a 50 limit?.

Are you saying it wasn't you driving?

Are you saying the 50 mph limit notifications weren't adequate to inform a reasonable driver of the amended limit?

Are you saying you were doing 60 in a 50 limit, but you feel the actions of other drivers mean that you shouldn't be prosecuted?

You say you do not exceed speed limits - how do you know if you "only checked my speed gauge at the beginning of the road works" - were the roadworks over quite some distance. Yes, at some stages up to 6/7 miles

Are you saying they are in error and the vehicle stated wasn't doing 60 in a 50 limit?. When I knew I had dropped down to the required 50mph limit and was behind some cars I assumed that we all travelled at the same speed and lately the lanes are made even more narrower so my concentration was really to keep focused in staying within the lanes and keeping adequate distances in front and rear of my car

Are you saying it wasn't you driving? I was the driver

Are you saying the 50 mph limit notifications weren't adequate to inform a reasonable driver of the amended limit? They were adequate but circumstances demanded more attention on keeping safe rather than keep checking speed gauge.

Are you saying you were doing 60 in a 50 limit, but you feel the actions of other drivers mean that you shouldn't be prosecuted?

I'm saying I may have strayed over without realising but that means those in front and those behind me would probably be doing the same speeds.

I'm saying I may have strayed over without realising but that means those in front and those behind me would probably be doing the same speeds.

It's irrelevant what other cars were doing.

Why were you not checking your speed?

50 mph is the max speed you don't have to do 50 so the driver doing 40 was okay in my book [even though I might have got annoyed] and the person driving and texing you would have been safer staying behind

don't think you have a defence

sorry

And they too may be receiving NIP's ........

If you didn't check your speed for 6 minutes, because the road conditions were challenging, perhaps you should have been moving into lane 1 and slowing up, to ensure safety. You complain about the driver travelling at 40 : but given 50mph was a "limit, not a target " ; I suggest they had the right idea?

I'm not sure "others were going faster" has ever persuaded a Roads Policing officer not to report someone, nor a court accept it as a defence.....

Ok.

All points noted. I have to agree albeit, reluctantly that I have not constantly kept check on my speed and accept the Authorities claim that I exceeded this limit.

I thank all who have contributed to this thread.

First time experience on this forum. interesting.

Motorway roadworks usually have an average speed system whereby they know the distance from point to point and check the time it takes you to go from point to point.

There's not really any mitigation you can plead.

looks like a fixed camera ticket

as does not mention your avg speed was 60for the section

if it was then at some point your would have been doing 70+MPH.

time to cough me thinks

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

First time experience on this forum. interesting.

Sorry it wasnt the info you wanted. But you broke the law and should pay up. You have basically admitted being careless, and speeding, so take it on the chin and learn a lesson from it. If you havent been caught speeding before, perhaps they will allow you to go on a speed awareness course.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

One slim point, check the ruling on who can sign an NIP, I think it was Midlands authority who for 2 years were sending them out and not signed by the chief constable, they were ruled to be not enforceable.

One slim point, check the ruling on who can sign an NIP, I think it was Midlands authority who for 2 years were sending them out and not signed by the chief constable, they were ruled to be not enforceable.
<br />

<br />

Thanks. NIP is issued by Road Safety Unit, Leicester and signed for: Chief Constable. Don't know whether this can be classified un-enforceable.

By the way, my concern is I have been trouble free from any motoring offences for some 20+ years and wish to remain so.

&lt;br /&gt;<br />

&lt;br /&gt;<br />

Thanks. NIP is issued by Road Safety Unit, Leicester and signed for: Chief Constable. Don't know whether this can be classified un-enforceable.<br />

By the way, my concern is I have been trouble free from any motoring offences for some 20+ years and wish to remain so.

<br />

<br />

Thanks. NIP is issued by Road Safety Unit, Leicester and signed for: Chief Constable. Don't know whether this can be classified un-enforceable.

Then see if they will allow you to go on a speeding awareness course. You broke the law, albeit accidentally, but the laws the law. See if they will offer the awareness course and whatever the outcome, learn from your mistake.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

50mph was a "limit, not a target " ;

I wish people would stop using this phrase. Speed limits are so ridiculously low in this country that of course the limit is the target.

50mph was a "limit, not a target " ;

I wish people would stop using this phrase. Speed limits are so ridiculously low in this country that of course the limit is the target.

Another phrase you may dislike, but that remains true none the less :

"It is not that speed kills, but inappropriate speed kills"

70 mph may be "too low a limit" on a straight stretch of motorway on a dry day, with good visibility, light traffic, and the sun in the driver's 4 o'clock or 8 o'clock, for a competent driver in one of today's cars (with their increasing design for safety improvement)

But some limit needs to be set, as not everyone is as good a driver as they think.

What speed limit do you think should apply to you?

Does that apply in all road conditions? If not, then does it still remain a target?

How do you know you are as good a driver as you think if you should be exempted from speed limits.

If you are a professional driver ; how often do you see accidents on the motorway?

Are these truly "accidents", or are many in fact "collisions" which aren't completely accidental but whose root cause is someone's driving behaviour?

Back in the day accidents were called RTA road traffic accident

Now they are called RTC road traffic collisions

As they are not accidents as there is blame

Speed does kill even on motorways

Speed limits are the maximum speed

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

=

Speed limits are the maximum speed

Maximum speed in ideal conditions ;)

I think you will find it nigh on impossible to put up any mitigation sufficient to defeat this - I think your only possible case could be that the equipment was faulty and there should be literature sent with the COFP telling you the avenues available if you wish to deny the offence. You must however answer the NIP and identify the driver

At that speed you will probably be offered a speed awareness course - so long as this is the first offence in the last three years. If so, then take it as not only is it currently cheaper than the fine, but you will avoid the points and not have to tell your insurer. Having been caught myself last year and being equally annoyed about it, I have to say that I found the course very useful and it does open your eyes somewhat!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Everyone makes mistakes, take it on the chin. Hopefully you'll get the speed awareness, I've heard its informative.

Least your not one of these muppets that come on here,with 9 points then get another 3 and want advice how to avoid being banned. Personally if you didn't learn the first three times, then you deserve a ban. Also the peeps that need the speed awareness course more than once, what are they going to learnt the second time around?