disciplinary appeal help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

So I have been given a final written warning for the following two reasons:

my decision to have a day off on a major sporting event, this should have been a priority in my weekly planning

an email I sent out which was deemed unprofessional and suggested a lack of recognition for my financial performance.

I will be appealing on the grounds that,

my manager authorizes my Rota the week before it comes out so if this was an issue why was it not raised then. Also the fact that I had in fact worked 6/7 days that week and am only contracted to 5 days. 3 of those days where predetermined as I fulfill a role of duty manager alongside my current role in my workplace and there is a separate Rota for this.

I was very confident and satisfied that my department was covered, I had a 2 shift leaders and a strong team for the day.

On my return to work following my day off I caught up with my manager who quizzed me on my decision to have a day off and he also said that I was going to get a letter of concern...the outcome of the disciplinary was therefore predetermined - in fact I actually got final written. I also received a phone call out of work hours from my manager the day before my hearing where he proceeded to shout at me for discussing my forthcoming disciplinary with a fellow colleague - am I not allowed to confide in confidence about my worries regarding this matter? He told me again I would not be getting fired and only a letter of concern. I apologized for talking to someone about it, I'm only human after all and its natural when stressed and worried to seek solitude from friends?

My email was actually sent asking for help and I received numerous replies saying well done for asking, even a senior person at head office thought it was great that I was asking, however my manager appears to have taken it personally which in no way was it directed at him. I did apologies and say it was not my intention to offend anyone I was merely being proactive and seeking help.

My boss leaves next week so I want to get this cleared up before the new gm starts.

Any views of this would be appreciated.

Thanks

what's a "letter of concern" in old money? Is it an actual warning or just a ticking off?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

its just a ticking off as such to try and prompt you to improve, I had a previous first warning on file from 6 months ago which is apparently why its gone to final. My issue is I was told I was getting a letter of concern so this was predetermined. Also the person holding the hearing already new the outcome aswell so again predetermined. My line manager didn't hold the hearing

If it's not a formal disciplinary there's not much to be done.

I would however be asking for clarification on who your actual boss is; life doesn't work well with 2! One should be the "main" boss and look after all performance related issues for you. People he's lending you put to should go through him. (or her).

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

but you don't seem to have got this ticking off "letter of concern", you seem to have got a warning? Which is it?

what am I missing?

ok. have you checked your company disciplinary procedure, and was it followed to the letter?

did you also follow the days off booking process to the letter?

They followed procedure, I was called into an investigation meeting followed by a letter of invite to the disciplinary.

I am a manager of my own department so write my own rota for me and my team. This then gets authorized by my gm and accounts manager the week before. I am contracted to 5 days out of 7 and had worked 6 days that week so I did not need to book the day off.

that part of the appeal looks straight forward then!

how bad was the email and who was it to?

I sent it to all the managers who run the same departments in my company.

I said ' Hear at xxxx we are sitting at the bottom of the league table desperate to get our heads above water, whilst we have fantastic sales v budget we have yet to have any recognition as the buzz word is xxx xxx xxx (this being the name of the performance target I was asking for help with)...so?

What are you all doing to get more responses? What do you do in house which we may not be doing? what works for you?

Thanks

This email was then forwarded to my gm from another gm with 'your manager...:)'

He then took offence to my pint about the no recognition and I apologized saying it was not intended to offend anyone I was merly loking for help

marginal, but I'd say well worth an appeal - "no recognition" I'm guessing is factual!

so wait and get your letter and see what it says and if you have a warning over both counts

your appeal focus needs to be

a) day off - was in line with procedure

b) email - was seeking assistance for good of the company and accurate!

"pre determined" does not apply - as in fact you got a worse outcome than you thought - there's no mileage in that.

Emmzzi is pretty good so I wont say too much here.

Just another question. What was the reasons for the original warning, when was it issued and when was it due to expire

What are the exact reasons for the new warning and when was it issued.

I may be right or wrong in saying this but to escalate a warning to final means the reasons must be related..

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi

So I have been given a final written warning for the following two reasons:

my decision to have a day off on a major sporting event, this should have been a priority in my weekly planning

i'd suggest your appeal uses the words "taking authorised leave" although you have not clarified how this leave is and has been authorised, if it the managers word then expect some form of amnesia from you manager

an email I sent out which was deemed unprofessional and suggested a lack of recognition for my financial performance.

sorry, sorry sorry, didn't mean it in the way it was read/taken on board - damage limitation mode here

I will be appealing on the grounds that,

my manager authorizes my Rota the week before it comes out so if this was an issue why was it not raised then.

how is leave authorised? see above

Also the fact that I had in fact worked 6/7 days that week and am only contracted to 5 days. 3 of those days where predetermined as I fulfill a role of duty manager alongside my current role in my workplace and there is a separate Rota for this.

was this a normal shift/day for you, i'm guessing your working patterns move

I was very confident and satisfied that my department was covered, I had a 2 shift leaders and a strong team for the day.

was your manager confident - that is what a panel will care about

On my return to work following my day off I caught up with my manager who quizzed me on my decision to have a day off and he also said that I was going to get a letter of concern...the outcome of the disciplinary was therefore predetermined - in fact I actually got final written.

If i had a £1 for every time i've heard i was told i was getting x but ended up with y i'd be able to buy a couple of cases of beer

I also received a phone call out of work hours from my manager the day before my hearing where he proceeded to shout at me for discussing my forthcoming disciplinary with a fellow colleague - am I not allowed to confide in confidence about my worries regarding this matter? He told me again I would not be getting fired and only a letter of concern. I apologized for talking to someone about it, I'm only human after all and its natural when stressed and worried to seek solitude from friends?

manager was out of order but if you were told not to speak to colleagues then be very careful as you could be dismissed for breaching the disciplinary procedure by speaking to them, if you were told i'd kick this into the long grass and hope they miss it. If not then you can argue your manager was out of order and they should have notified you that you couldn't speak to others

My email was actually sent asking for help and I received numerous replies saying well done for asking, even a senior person at head office thought it was great that I was asking, however my manager appears to have taken it personally which in no way was it directed at him. I did apologies and say it was not my intention to offend anyone I was merely being proactive and seeking help.

grovel mode i'm afraid

My boss leaves next week so I want to get this cleared up before the new gm starts.

hmn, the only advice i can give is do not **** your new manager off, your being rid of a problem, don't invite another through the door instantly after

Any views of this would be appreciated.

Chill before you make any decision but note your companies appeal time limits :)

Thanks

I may be right or wrong in saying this but to escalate a warning to final means the reasons must be related..

Ah, the days when you could argue he punched his boss with the left hook this time not the right hook like the previous warning, it is still a very valid point but is often fired off under the umbrella of "conduct" these days

The previous warning was 6 months ago under a previous gm and is not related.

My decision to choose my day off when a major sorting event was on, this should have been a priority in my planning.

An email which was sent stating lack of financial recognition and deemed unprofessional

Thanks

Ah, the days when you could argue he punched his boss with the left hook this time not the right hook like the previous warning, it is still a very valid point but is often fired off under the umbrella of "conduct" these days

My decision to choose my day off when a major sorting event was on, this should have been a priority in my planning.

Thanks

You have said this twice now and both times i read it as "i choose when i take my holidays on my priorities, not my employers"

Am i correct here?