friends court fine come to my address unsealed envelope threating credit rating

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

** NOTE - This thread is copied to the transport forum as well, for maximum coverage **

a friend that stayed at my house a few years ago has just had a letter to my house via royal mail in an unsealed envelope for a mags fine for travelling on a train without the correct ticket from the time he was stopping here.

it says if no contact is made they will

register the account in the register of judgments , orders and fines (affecting your ability to obtain credit

my friend is panicking because he is in the process of obtaining a mortgage

can they do this

Edited by citizenB
:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

** NOTE - this issue is in two forums - Enforcement Forums and Transport **

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?428286-friends-court-fine-come-to-my-address-unsealed-envelope-threating-credit-rating

a friend that stayed at my house a few years ago has just had a letter to my house via royal mail in an unsealed envelope for a mags fine for travelling on a train without the correct ticket from the time he was stopping here.

it says if no contact is made they will

register the account in the register of judgments , orders and fines (affecting your ability to obtain credit

my friend is panicking because he is in the process of obtaining a mortgage

can they do this

Edited by citizenB

I think yes, they can. Your friend needs to act swiftly - in order for the judgment not to be registered then he will need to pay the entire Judgment Debt.

Is this the first time any communication has been received ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think yes, they can. Your friend needs to act swiftly - in order for the judgment not to be registered then he will need to pay the entire Judgment Debt.

Is this the first time any communication has been received ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

who's the letter from?

if he has a CCJ then its already on his credit file

cant see the point in the CRA file threat.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

who's the letter from?

if he has a CCJ then its already on his credit file

cant see the point in the CRA file threat.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

he had a letter from marstons about a month ago.

i passed that onto him and

he called them asking if they got the right person as he has never been to court in his lifetime.

they said they dont know what the fine is for. but will ask the Magistrates court for more information

.. then this appears.

apparently in 2007 he boarded the train with the ticket for the previous train because he missed it.

he give this address as it was where he was living and that is the last he heard from it.

he has no problem paying it but concerned that they may enter a judgement on the register

and the fact the envelope had been sent unsealed for anyone wanting to read it

and the fact he was never told of a hearing

he had a letter from marstons about a month ago.

i passed that onto him and

he called them asking if they got the right person as he has never been to court in his lifetime.

they said they dont know what the fine is for. but will ask the Magistrates court for more information

.. then this appears.

apparently in 2007 he boarded the train with the ticket for the previous train because he missed it.

he give this address as it was where he was living and that is the last he heard from it.

he has no problem paying it but concerned that they may enter a judgement on the register

and the fact the envelope had been sent unsealed for anyone wanting to read it

and the fact he was never told of a hearing

this cant hurt his cra file sorry

its a magistrates fine.

2007!

when did this goto court

7yrs to chase him!

somethings not right here

and they

this cant hurt his cra file sorry

its a magistrates fine.

2007!

when did this goto court

7yrs to chase him!

somethings not right here

and they

it appears they can do

DMBM666350 - CCP: action after judgment obtained: registration of county court judgments

The Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines

The Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines (the Register) was set up on 6 April 2006 to provide for the registration of

county court judgments

county court administration orders

High Court judgments

Magistrates’ court fines defaults

Child Support Agency liability orders.

Magistrates’ court orders (civil and council tax) are not included.

it appears they can do

DMBM666350 - CCP: action after judgment obtained: registration of county court judgments

The Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines

The Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines (the Register) was set up on 6 April 2006 to provide for the registration of

county court judgments

county court administration orders

High Court judgments

Magistrates’ court fines defaults

Child Support Agency liability orders.

Magistrates’ court orders (civil and council tax) are not included.

Ideally a copy of this thread needs to be put in the transport folder on CAG, as advice is needed about the original magistrates court issue and what the OP's friend can do about it. I suspect the train company chased payment for quite awhile and because it remained unpaid. they reported this as fare evasion, which is a criminal matter.

If the OP's friend did not receive relevant documents from the Mags court, it may be possible for them to make a declaration to the court about this and they can then just pay the relevant fine, without any enforcement fees being due.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Ideally a copy of this thread needs to be put in the transport folder on CAG, as advice is needed about the original magistrates court issue and what the OP's friend can do about it. I suspect the train company chased payment for quite awhile and because it remained unpaid. they reported this as fare evasion, which is a criminal matter.

If the OP's friend did not receive relevant documents from the Mags court, it may be possible for them to make a declaration to the court about this and they can then just pay the relevant fine, without any enforcement fees being due.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Uncle B, will copy to transport as well :)

BCOBS

Uncle B, will copy to transport as well :)

BCOBS

One of the 'further steps' available to the Fines Officer is to register the debt as a Judgment with Registry Trust. This does not happen very often and instead, most Fines Officers will authorise a Warrant of Control (previously a Distress Warrant).

In this case I suspect that was has happened it that a Distress Warrant passed to Marston Group had been returned back to the court following the conversation with your friend a few months ago and the court have now decided to impose an alternative 'step' to enforce payment and this time to register the debt with Registry Trust.

Given that your friend had not received a summons he is legally permitted to file a Statutory Declaration.

As I have said above I 'suspect' that the above has happened. A lot will depend on WHO the letter has come from (the court or an enforcement company. If you could find out we can advise the correct course of action.

This is very likely what has happened in this case

However, the alleged offender would be well advised to check their memory very closely. It is not unheard of for a person convicted to later claim that they knew nothing about the matter only for the prosecuting authority to have on record some correspondence, email, or telephone record that negates the claim.

I only mention this because we recently had another such case, where a convicted individual made a statutory declaration to the Court that he didn't know anything about the prosecution, we restarted the matter and presented to the Court the evidence that the offender had in fact contacted the office about the earlier case. The penalty for perjury is a very serious matter indeed.

Berore anyone jumps to a conclusion, I am not saying that this is what has happened in the OPs case, but it's certainly worth mentioning that despite many peoples' expectation to the contrary, it is exceedingly rare for these things to simply go away.