Multiple Entries on Experian File

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3570 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently got a copy of my Experian file and am concerned by the entries for my smile credit card.

There are 4 separate items on my file, all showing the same start date in 2003, and 3 are showing as settled. The dates on the entries appear to cover different periods, and I know I had a couple of replacement cards, possibly with different numbers, so think this probably explains the different entries.

I have 2 questions.

1. If an account is showing as settled (with a settlement date), does that make it clear to anyone viewing my file that the credit limit shown is no longer available, so should not be taken into account when looking at possible new lending?

2. Will the multiple entries make it look like I've borrowed more than I really have, and as they are settled is this likely to matter?

I have just phoned smile and they've suggested that I write to their lending team about it, with a copy of my file so that they don't have to do another search, but I thought I'd ask my fellow caggers first as I'm likely to get my answers quicker!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It is annoying as I think it's misleading. Whether potential future lenders will pick up the reality of the situation is a little concerning or whether they will think I've borrowed more than I really have and it might have an impact on future borrowing.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

As well as these I had some late payments showing from 2010 on an old current account with Alliance & Leicester, now Santander. I knew that these related to an overdraft of over £300 that I didn't pay off because it was made up entirely of charges resulting from one bounced direct debit. With daily charges these amounted to some £100 a month which I paid for 2 months and decided enough was enough. I had half expected to be chased for it one day but it never happened and the account showed as settled. I kept meaning to claim back what I'd already paid using BCOBS but let it slip. I reported it to Experian and had a letter back from Santander yesterday saying that for some reason they didn't know the £300 was refunded (hence the account was settled and I heard no more), and that they are going to remove the late markers. They also sent me a £20 cheque as their service had fallen short. :) I must get on and claim the rest back!! ;)