FCA requests dodgy letters :)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3542 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In a news article today on Sky News and following on from the Wonga debacle, the FCA are now requesting consumers send in letters from DCA's threatening legal action from make believe in house solicitors.

http://news.sky.com/story/1295002/watchdogs-pursue-debt-letter-tactics

I think there is various DCA's who have used this tactic and are using this tactic, up until the point where Wonga have got nailed by the FCA. I think now is the time to put these bottom feeding DCA's in their place.

I have a few suspicious letters from Lowell & Lucas which will find their way to the FCA.

Edited by citizenB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send them in to the FCA, my wife just informed me she had a letter from a company alleging to be solicitor acting on behalf of South Staffordshire Water, but the address was the same as South Staffordshire Water. Which is Green Lane, Walsall.

nicolee, your link wasnt working so I have restored it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks correcting the link within my post, I posted it from my mobile and couldn't set the URL metadata.

Hopefully if enough people forward their made up letters to the FCA then maybe this could be the shakeup the DCA's need to get their acts together, and treat people fairly.

TBH I have no problem settling debts that I legitimately owe, but when a DCA uses lewd tactics then it makes me wonder why I should bother giving them time of day?

Only send copies. Don't part with the originals.

Also we have several press enquiries for a copy of these as well. Please email us on our admin email address

Had loads from mcerciers, and from natwests triton and green+co

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

More on this 20 minutes in.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048hxpr

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

http://www.fca.org.uk/site-info/contact

contact details for emailing these letters to.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

hi how do we know if the companies acting on behalf of these banks, I haven't a clue if any letter is real or not, having a list to work with would help, naming the said solicitor's, then we folk will know if we have letters or not...hope I'm not sounding dim lol cheers

!2 years Tesco distribution supervisor

7 years Sainsburys Transport Manager

4 Years housing officer ( Lettings )

Partner... 23 Years social services depts

All advice is given through own opition, also by seeking/searching info on behalf of poster, and own personnel dealings.

There are various ways to determine who a letter is really from.

The main one is that at the bottom it will state that XY Co. is a trading name/trading style of AZ Bank Ltd.

If it doesn't have that, check the address - it will usually be the same as the bank's.

Another way is to see if there are any email addresses - for example, staff at HSBC's faux DCA Metropolitan all have email addresses ending hsbc.co.uk.

You can also check the company registration number, which must be shown by law. Look it up on the Companies House Webcheck service, and if it is shown as dormant, it is likely to be a front company for the bank.

Dear Mr BLOBBY

Thank you for your email dated 5 July 2014 in relation to Green & Co Solicitors.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) welcomes comments and observations in relation to the firms and individuals that fall under our remit. Please take this email as confirmation that your correspondence has been forwarded to the supervisory team within the FCA for their consideration and action as appropriate.

Please be aware, that we cannot generally give consumers any feedback on how we follow up the information they have given us, although we may contact you for further information. This is because the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (FSMA) imposes restrictions on how we can deal with confidential information that we receive.

I would also like to take this opportunity to explain that we do not regulate solicitors. Solicitors are regulated by the ‘Solicitors Regulation Authority’. Contact details for them are below:

0370 606 2555

I trust this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely,

Smart Person

Customer Contact Centre

Financial Conduct Authority

Consumer Helpline 0800 111 6768

Website www.fca.org.uk

Email [email protected]

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

As far as I'm aware, giving the impression you are a solicitor/barrister when you are not is still a criminal offence, is it not? Should complaints go to the SRA as well? They will pursue these fraudsters. (or should do)

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

As far as I'm aware, giving the impression you are a solicitor/barrister when you are not is still a criminal offence, is it not? Should complaints go to the SRA as well? They will pursue these fraudsters. (or should do)

This is an interesting thread from way back in respect of SCM - LTSB's in house solicitors. I believe people did make contact with the SRA and pretty much got nowhere !

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?206823-Have-you-received-a-quot-Phantom-quot-CCJ-or-Judgement-by-Default&highlight=%2A%2A%2A%2A

On some of the SCM letters posted up - the claim to be regulated by the SRA, but do not provide a registration reference.

BCOBS

Hmmmm...thanks for the link. Very interesting. It appears that anyone can pretend to be a solicitor and get away with it by saying the recipient "misunderstood" How anyone can misunderstand the words "A.N.Other, Solicitor" is beyond me, but apparently, one of my clients did just that!! They apparently meant that the person was signing on behalf of a solicitor. Didn't say that. Ah well, one law for us and one for them.......

I am a lawyer, but I am an academic lawyer. I do not practice as a barrister or solicitor. You should consult a practising Solicitor BEFORE taking any Court or other action

May be worth making this thread a 'sticky', together with a list of companies/fake 'legal firms'/fake 'collection firms'.

Lowell Group - Drydens Fairfax, Hamptons Legal.

Lloyds TSB - Sechiari, Clark and Mitchell (or '[problem]', '****', various other non-complimentary adjectives!).

Fortunately, I retain copies of letters and also scan them as well - mine are already on the way.

If SCM are not really solicitors then how were they able to take me to court over a Black Horse Debt?

It isnt them who are actually taking you to court - it will be the Claimant very likely LTSB. SCM have only prepared the paperwork.

BCOBS

Moorcroft are not in house solicitors, they are a genuine third party