DHL package refused - Invoice from Control Account received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3581 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

DHL attempted to deliver a package to me on 10 December 2013. I have refused this package because of late delivery. It will be of no longer use to me after 8 December (I have made it clear to the seller that I needed this item to arrive before 8 December however, he shipped it late). I knew the problem was from the seller and not DHL.

I have opened a dispute for this Transaction with my bank and it has been successful and my monies returned after Aliexpress were very slow in settling the case.

I have been sent a text message from DHL telling me the invoice amount i need to pay for VAT and Duty. I phoned them and told them I don't need the item and no point of paying.

After 2 months I receive an invoice from DHL (£10.93) to my home address asking that I pay the amount due. I ignored it because I didn't have the item and I didn't want to accept it.

Today I received a letter from control accounts with an extra charge of £10 asking me to pay the debt I have.

DHL informed me couple of months ago by email that the seller doesn't want the item back and that they can abandon the goods. They emailed me this infromation after I told them I didn't need the package and that they send it back to the sender. Ofcourse the sender wasn't interested of paying the return fees because he wanted me to accept the package and then return it at my cost. But I have refused.

I don't know what action to take now?

Should I pay the VAT & Duty invoice even though I don't need the package to be delivered to me? Will it ruin my credit file if I don't pay?

If you have not accepted the delivery then I do not see how you can be held responsible for these charges. I think they have in their terms and conditions that they will either return the goods to the sender or they will dispose of the goods by selling.

I cant see they can ruin your credit files because of this. I will try and find someone who might be able to advise further.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hope this helps.

Shouldn't do as the delivery contract was with the seller not the recipient. They do not have the recipients permission to do anything.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I think they would open themselves up for a case of defamation if they did this as they do not have your written permission to do anything to your credit file.

the Data protection Act is quite clear on this.

The delivery contract was with the seller, not you.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I don't know who is responsible for import and VAT for imported goods.

I suspect the importer is liable. Whether the goods are accepted or not.

Good point but I disagree.

If you were to bring items in through customs which incurred a customs charge then you would have the option of paying the charge OR having the items confiscated. This (IMO) is the same issue

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

DHL are trying it on. You are not their customer - the sender is.

I'd be inclined to send Control Account a letter denying any liability to their client, and suggesting that unless they can produce substantive evidence of a contract, you expect them not to trouble you with their tiresome begging letters.

the importer is responsible for the VAT and duty but when a parcel is refused the carrier needs to show that it has been sent back to the sender

or the items destroyed to void the bill.

As you say, they dont want the cost of returning it and presumably cant be bothered to prove the item has been trashed to get the VAT back they have prepaid.

Well, that is their own fault and they cant expect you to pay up.

Now, what is correct and what they will do are 2 different things

as they are not in the business of selling secondhand parcels so will undoubtedly try and get you to pay up just to avoid them making a loss.

If the sender is a contract customer this shouldnt be a problem for them but they are expending the least amount of effort in an attempt

to salvage something and are hoping you dont know what the correct procedure is.

As siad, the contract is with the sender so chucking the parcel away and claiming re export would probably do the job as far as HMRC

are concerned but they will use obsinacy above common sense.

Thanks all for your replies.

I am planning to send Control Account this letter by email instead of normal mail (would it be OK?) I am currently living in Denmark and the letter received from them was sent to my parents address in the UK. My parents are keeping me up to date with any mail that arrives.

This letter template I found on another forum in another website.

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxx

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to The Loan Company.

We are familiar with the ‘Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance’ which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

We would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

We would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above accounts unless you can provide evidence as to our liability for the debt in question.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise we will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mrs A N Other

Would this be the best way now to solve this issue?

I might be wrong but l believe the OFT no longer exists. That is a exact copy of a letter on this site

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I might be wrong but l believe the OFT no longer exists. That is a exact copy of a letter on this site

Correct, the OFT are no longer - the letter above is an old one. All the letters in the CAG library have been updated to remove any mention of the OFT.

IMHO, I would simply expand on the ScarletPimpernel's statement and advise the company asking for money that there is no liability owed to either them or their client. The contract is with the sender as they were advised if the package was not delivered by a certain date, then it would be refused.

You dont need to get into any other discussion with them.

BCOBS

Thanks CB.

That letter is very familiar even to the extent l have just been threw my hard drive and found it from about 6 yrs ago when l was using it as a base to dispute moneys owed.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Something l ment to add whenever l do letters like a feck off letter/prove it u egits letter l would always add the following:-

CC:-

My file

OFT file ( now would be the FCA file)

SRA File ( this would be the relivant file of the governing body)

OC file ( would name the OC if l new it)

OC goving body file if not already listed.

I would only print off 1 but photocopy it once for my file the rest would sit in a file on my comp. Sometimes this would be noticed by who ever was harrassing you so they new you would not play there games.