style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3575 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ladies and gents.

Back in Feb my partner and I were caught stealing in tesco.

This is the first and only time and I am fully aware of how low and wrong it is

but we were both out of work and to us at the time needing to eat was a reasonable enough excuse to steal.

Security stopped us at the bottom of the escalators asking us to come with them.

After calling the police out (who were extremely nice) we got to go home and I felt like crap for weeks.

we have both received separate letters each for a few months from RLP asking for £253.75 EACH

for time and effort etc and we are now getting near to the time they will be getting DCA involved by the looks of things.

My questions are,

the letters keep talking about them telling tesco to ask for the full amount as we have been ignoring them (in absolutely no position to pay).

Does this mean what they are asking for isn't the full amount?

If they set the DCAs on us are we likely to go to court or anything like that?

Where do I stand? :/

I am totally stressing out over this so any help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

totally ignore everything

theyhave not done court in many years now.

plenty of threads here to read

I think you know the game well anyway

well done keep it up.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks. I've had a look through a few just had a couple questions. Also just wondering if they're telling tesco to claim the full amount is it possible that tesco themselves could take legal action?

Hi there

First off im glad you recognise what you have done is wrong. Many people do not realise the impacts it has on others. TESCO EXPRESS until recently had a bonus system where part of their wages was paid against measurements. One of those was Unknown Loss which goods stolen impacted against. Many people depended on that to survive. Single mothers etc.

Anyhow this is by the by

What RLP are doing is much worse. they KNOW that most of their victims are vulnerable.

1) There is no basis in law for them to make a claim court or otherwise against you

2) Tell the DCA the "Debt does not exist and stop harassing you" Send it in writing. They will soon disappear.

3) Ignore any letters that come after they will soon go away.

RLP did try court once. The lost! and have not tried since.

under no circumstances pay them.

If a n1 claim form arrives form Northampton come back to us, but this will NOT happen :)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

As an ex tesco employee tesco will not want the publicity

You were not prosecuted?

You have no criminal conviction

Therefore there is nothing TESCO can do

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

What the police did was give my partner and I a £90 fine each but i'm not sure where that stands in sort of prosecution or convictions or anything because i've never come across with the police or anything like that. Does the fact that they fined us both change anything? Thanks

nope

Tesco would have to justify the costs of the RLP amount

Goods recovered in sellable condition = No loss

Time spent by staff (Security or otherwise) is factored into their business plan and would be there if you committed the offense or not. = No loss

For Tesco to have any claim it would have to disclose actual costs of YOUR incident. the truth of the matter is there was no cost.

As for the fine, thats the criminal side of things over and done with. When shoplifters are prosecutred in the courts you will notice that all the company gets awarded are court costs and the value of the goods stolen. THATS IT!

RLP is basically a barely legal outfit designed to harass potentially vulnerable people and scare them into paying a speculative invoice. There is no contractual obligation to pay. There are NO damages. As its a civil matter there is no other grounds to demand money legally via a court.

The proper authority for dealing with crime is the criminal justice system, i.e. the police and courts. As you've discovered, necessity is not a defence. In this case, the police have taken action, and that is an end to it. I will say, though, that if you aren't sure what to do about the £90 fine go to the police station or your local court and ask; don't let matters get out of hand by doing nothing.

There is no place for parasites like RLP, whose sole motivation is profit, trying to act as an alternative justice system. Have a good read of some RLP threads on here, and you will see that all they do is send letters; increasingly threatening letters, but just letters. RLP cannot take anyone to court, even if their letters give that impression.

You will see that RLP send a few letters, and if they don't get a bite, in some cases they involve a debt collector. Again, all they can do is send letters (some may phone if they have your number). Once they are told that there isn't a real debt they stop.

You have two options:

1. Ignore everything from RLP, and they'll eventually go away.

2. Send the one-line denial of liability letter - you will see this when you read some threads. It has the advantage that it makes your position clear from the outset.

Both work, and it's up to you what you decide to do.

Finally, Tesco has brought a few court claims in the past, and RLP make much of it. However, the majority of cases involved employee theft, and a couple were persistent shoplifters and there were quantifiable losses. There is no real legal basis for RLP's claims, and the retailers know it, which is why we don't see any claims being brought by them.

Thank you so much, but my mind at rest a bit. Still receiving the letters sends me crazy, they're so threatening! At the back of my mind I know they're empty threats but still :S

Thank you so much, but my mind at rest a bit. Still receiving the letters sends me crazy, they're so threatening! At the back of my mind I know they're empty threats but still :S

Hi and welcome.

You have just exhibited exactly the response RLP want. Fear, panic, worry.

Once you realise (as you have) that the threats are just that (not promises) then you should be able to rest easier. All you are to RLP is a cash cow, nothing more. It is just so unfortunate that there are so many others who pay up without question. The more people that discover the truth, the sooner this company folds.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Jackie and co will send letters for a few months. Then she eventually gets bored and gets a silly DCA to pester you. They send one or two letters and you never hear from either company ever again.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

So you paid a fixed penalty and that is that as far as justice is concerned. Tesco have their resolution and cannot take the matter further. As for RLP, they are reliant upon making you feel remorseful to get money out of you that you do not owe and they certainly do not deserve. Ignore the leeches.