• Tweets

• Hi again all, below is another email they sent me, I just don't want to get in trouble or things to get worse with this crowd but I am taking your advice here. Anyway advice would be appreciated.   I am contacting you again after having tried to contact you both by email on 03/04/2024 and 10/04/2024, and by telephone on 10/04/2024 and 17/04/2024 to discuss the matter in relation to the regularization of the SOLIDWORKS case against xxx our company.   This is an urgent legal matter. Please contact me at your earliest convenience - +44 2921 920 296.    If we do not recieve a response before 24/04/2024, we will assume that you are not willing to settle this dispute amicably. The case will then be referred back to our client with whom, ultimately, the final decision lies on the enforcement of their intellectual property rights.    Yours sincerel y, Rhys
    • If you do get a letter of Claim and or Pre Action Protocol pack 15. Where there has been non-compliance with a pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction, the court may order that (a) the parties are relieved of the obligation to comply or further comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (b) the proceedings are stayed while particular steps are taken to comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (c) sanctions are to be applied. 16. The court will consider the effect of any non-compliance when deciding whether to impose any sanctions which may include— (a) an order that the party at fault pays the costs of the proceedings, or part of the costs of the other party or parties; (b) an order that the party at fault pay those costs on an indemnity basis; (c) if the party at fault is a claimant who has been awarded a sum of money, an order depriving that party of interest on that sum for a specified period, and/or awarding interest at a lower rate than would otherwise have been awarded; (d) if the party at fault is a defendant, and the claimant has been awarded a sum of money, an order awarding interest on that sum for a specified period at a higher rate, (not exceeding 10% above base rate), than the rate which would otherwise have been awarded. https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct   .
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • Thanks all! My wife was driving at the time (took our daughter to get new school uniform) and I wasn't there so I'm not sure what the signage was actually like, but yes, Parkopedia says 2:30, so it's barely over that. I will check it out with her when she gets home later, I haven't even told her about this yet as she'll probably be quite upset. So - likely my best response at this stage is to just wait it out until a Letter Before Claim arrives?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mortimer clarke and cabot court papers for welcome finance debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3568 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

i am new to the site and have today received a court claim from Mortimer Clarke solicitors

acting in behalf of cabot who have bought a welcome finance debt of mine.

Date of issue: 27th June 2014

Date received 1st July 2014

Particulars of claim:

"by an agreement between welcome finance (WLCF) and the defendant on or around 04/06/2007

(the agreement) WLCF agreed to loan the defendant monies under the terms and conditions set out therein.

In breach of the agreement the defendant did not pay the instalments as they fell due and the agreement was terminated.

the agreement was assigned to the claimant on 26/06/2013.

The claimant therefore claims £3356.45

the original loan amount was £2500

I have acknowledged the claim today on MCOL and asked for more time.

I paid this debt by monthly direct debit right up until June 2012

( at an agreed reduced rate with welcome finance as I ran into difficulty)

when I received a letter from Mckenzie hall instructing me that welcome had sold them the debt

and I was to cease payment to welcome which I stupidly did.

the next communication I received was in feb 2013 from experto credit claiming they had bought the debt.

I wrote to them offering a reduced full and final settlement letter but heard nothing back so thought it had gone away.

Since then I have now had letters from cabot claiming I owe them and that welcome sold the debt to them!

Cabot have now instructed mortimer clarke and now I have court papers.

I have aver sent off the CCA to cabot and the CPR to mortimers.

What should I do now?

I am really cross as I have just cleaned up my credit file and don't want a CCJ.

I have checked my credit file and there is no mention of this debt by welcome, cabot, experto or anyone.

My file is clean. Please help!

Hi Louisa and welcome to CAG

Even though your first post is quite thorough could you please read and complete the following here, with anything you have not provided above.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?419198-You-have-received-a-Claim-What-you-need-to-do.-**UPDATED-April-2014**(1-Viewing)-nbsp

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

get an sar off to welcome finance by recorded delivery tomorrow.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes and no....... dont be distracted by that at this stage...concentrate on acknowledging the claim and completing the above link I have provided.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

You have received a claim form.

In order for us to help you we require the following information:-

Name of the Claimant ?

Cabot Financial UK ltd

Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.

27th June 2014

Date of issue XX + 19 days ( 5 day for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = XX + 14 days to submit defence = XX (33 days in total)

30th July 2014?

What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? Please type out their particulars of claim (verbatim) less any identifiable data and round the amounts up/down.

By an agreement between Welcome Finance ("WLCF") & the Defendant on or around 04/06/2007 ("the agreement") WLCF agreed to loan the defendants monies under the terms and conditions set out therein. In breach of the Agreement the Defendant did not pay the instalments as they fell due & the Agreement was termintaed. The Agreement was assigned to the claimant on 25/06/2013. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS: £3356.45

What is the value of the claim?

£3356.45

Has the claimant included section 69 interest (8%)within the total claim or is it shown separate within the Particulars but not added to the debt?

No

Is the claim for a current or credit/loan account or mobile phone account?

Welcom Finance loan - unsecured

When did you enter into the original agreement before or after 2007?

04/06/2007

Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.

Debt purchaser Cabot

Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment?

Can't remember but I don't think so

Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?

Can't remember but i don't think so - nothing on credit file for this debt

Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Default sums” – at least once a year ?

No

Why did you cease payments:-

I was on a management plan when i received a letter from Mckenzie Hall (don't have it) telling me to cancel my direct debit with Welcome as they had bought the debt.

I then replied to Experto credit offering full and final settlement in June 2013 but never heard anything back (I have original email sent date and letter)

Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?

No

Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan?

This debt was already a reduced payment plan paid by direct debit every month

Okay so you had until the 15th July to acknowledge you then have a further 14 days to submit your defence 29th July.

You have requested CPR 31 and CCA so nothing else to do now Louisa apart from read other threads and get familiar with the process.

Start to look at other defences preferably with the same claimant but definitely with regards to personal loans.Request a DSAR also now you are ahead of matters from the original creditor.

Post if you are unsure or wish to clarify anything.

Regards

Andy

Thanks so much Andy, I'll wait to hear. Out of interest, if I were to try and settle before it went to court with mortimers could I offer a reduced final lump sum and would they then withdraw the claim from court ie no judgement? I am desperate to avoid a CCJ

Thanks for your advice and sorry for the questions but I'm not sure what I'm doing!

They may...depends on your F&FS...if you state that you will be defending this to the end...they may consider...you could also suggest settlement by way of a Tomlin Order.

Hi Andy et al!

today I have received a letter from Mortimer Clarke acknowledging my letter.

I though i'd type it up here and see what you think;

"we note your assertion that the written agreement should have been attached to the particulars of claim

however the claim was issued by the Northampton CCBC.

There is a requirement in paragraph 7.3 of practice direction 16 (supplemental to CPR16) for documents to be attached for the particulars of claim.

However paragraph 1.4 of practice direction 7c (supplemental to CPR7) clearly states that this does not apply to claims issued by CCBC.

There was therefore no requirement under the CPR for documents to be attached to the particulars of claim.

If you disagree please explain the precise legal basis.

You have requested a copy of "the assignment".

We are instructed that a notice of the assignment was sent to your last known address by our client at the time of the assignment.

Our client considers that it has no statutory obligation to provide you with any further documents in relation to the assignment.

It has complied with it's statutory obligations by sending you notice of assignment in accordance

with section 136 of the Law of Propoerty act 1925.

If you disagree please explain the precise legal basis.

You state in your letter that where you have requested a document the original of which is now in the possession of another person

that we have the right to possession of the document if we have referred to it in our case.

Please provide the legal basis for this assertion.

If you request a document which is held by a third party we cannot see that they would be compelled to produce that document

unless you had obtained an appropriate order against them from court.

We have requested documentation from our client and will revert to you once we hear further from them.

In the meantime our client would agree to a 28 day extension for the filing of your defence.

We claculate that your defence would be due by August 27th 2014." etc etc

it would appear to me that Mortimers are sticking two fingers up to me!

It would appear they feel they don't have to provide any evidence whatsoever to their claim.....

......which makes me wonder if they actually have any?

Please advise!

They don't pre defence...CPR 31.14 is a civil request...the claimant is not compelled to respond...unless you back it with a court order...which is not advisable.

But after all the waffle they have agreed to request the documentation...so rather nonsensical.

Lets hope their response to the CCA is less waffle and see if they can find away around that not to comply:wink:

They don't pre defence...CPR 31.14 is a civil request...the claimant is not compelled to respond...unless you back it with a court order...which is not advisable.

But after all the waffle they have agreed to request the documentation...so rather nonsensical.

Lets hope their response to the CCA is less waffle and see if they can find away around that not to comply:wink:

Thanks Andy. should I agree to the extension and inform the court as they suggested?

No submit your defence on time...why allow them more time to find the paperwork...you would think after 5 paragraphs of why they dont have to comply they wouldn't need an extension :roll:

No submit your defence on time...why allow them more time to find the paperwork...you would think after 5 paragraphs of why they dont have to comply they wouldn't need an extension :roll:

That's what I thought! Could my defence be that they don't/won't supply paperwork though?

That's what I thought! Could my defence be that they don't/won't supply paperwork though?

No that's not a valid defence...as stated they are not required to disclose pre defence...disclosure follows defence.

However you can use their response to point out how they tried to frustrate the claim and if they don't respond to your CCA request that will become part of your defence.

No that's not a valid defence...as stated they are not required to disclose pre defence...disclosure follows defence.

However you can use their response to point out how they tried to frustrate the claim and if they don't respond to your CCA request that will become part of your defence.

Ah ok thanks. I will hang on to see if they respond to my CCA request from 1st July in the first instance.

What about the fact I had already offered FF&s to another company for this debt and therefore dispute that cabot bought the debt from welcome?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to formulate a plan in my mind!

Its irrelevant whether you made a F&FS to another party...as for disputing the Assignment that may be a tad more difficult.

ok thanks. So today I have received a letter from Cabot (2nd class post!) in reference to the CCA request saying that they "don't have this information on file" and that they have requested the info from Welcome under section 77/78.

They also say that they will try and provide it within 40 days and if they can't they will write to me again.....

So it looks like no-one has any info? I obviously can't wait 40 days. Is this enough for me to file a defence saying that they have no evidence of their claim?

ok thanks. So today I have received a letter from Cabot (2nd class post!) in reference to the CCA request saying that they "don't have this information on file" and that they have requested the info from Welcome under section 77/78.

They also say that they will try and provide it within 40 days and if they can't they will write to me again.....

So it looks like no-one has any info? I obviously can't wait 40 days. Is this enough for me to file a defence saying that they have no evidence of their claim?

Yes

Just a quick point, you state you was paying this at a reduced rate and you have a letter to prove this.

Was you still repaying the debt up to the issue of the Court papers?

If you were paying, do you still have that letter?

Just a quick point, you state you was paying this at a reduced rate and you have a letter to prove this.

Was you still repaying the debt up to the issue of the Court papers?

If you were paying, do you still have that letter?

No I stupidly stopped paying when I received a couple of letters from Mckenzie hall telling me to cancel the direct debit. I don't have them anymore though