• Tweets

• had to remove all you picture uploads as they are too small to read pop them all into ONE multipage PDF file and upload that please.   read our upload guide carefully please   dx  
    • its not the distance that is important (but if you wish to determine it you could calculate it) it's the time, 0.35s, it took you to travels between the two yellow lines which are superimposed to show the start and end of the detection zone.   should a car travel across the detection zone quicker than the set time for 40mph limit, it flags you.
    • Hi everyone!  Thanks for providing any supports in advance!  I booked the delivery service by Parcelhero on 23/03/2021, Dpd picked up my luggage on 24/03/2021. Then it has no tracking history and no tracking updates at all. On 28/03/2021, Thursday,  I first contacted the Parcelhero tell them the parcel has no tracking, then I got an automatically reply on 29/03/2121.    On 31/03/2021, which is the scheduled delivery date, I contacted the Parcelhero again.   On 01/04/2021, Thursday,  4:25pm, the customer service replied asked me to provide the description of the missing luggage and told me the investigation will take up to 15 working days.   On 03/04/2021, Saturday, 7:17am, I contacted the Parcelhero again to ask the updates. On same day 10:49am, they answered the luggage is missing and they can't find it. It means the investigation only took one day, is that real?  However, they told me the luggage is in the prohibited list, and they're unable to make a claim for me, they give me £15 credits for next shipping with Parcelhero, it is ridiculous, because I have all my things in that luggage,  it has all my important documents include my degree certificate, my Police Registration Certificate, my personal ID, my notebooks of my projects, and all my clothes and personal item.    I ship the luggage from UK to Spain, so I have to declare it, I declared £300, but my stuff is way more expensive than that, even my luggage worth £150, and I only used it twice! I have asked the live customer service agent before I book the service, I asked if I can send luggage with Dpd, the live agent said yes!!! but I didn't take a screenshot of the conversation 💔!!!   However, on 13/04/2021, the receiver contacted the Dpd directly, Dpd confirmed the receiver that they haven't finished the investigation. On 13/04/2021, I emailed Parcelhero tell them the Dpd is still doing an investigation, but the interesting thing is that the Pacelhero insist confirmed me again and again the luggage is missing and ask me to see the email they sent me on 03/04/2021 10:49am.    Well, on 20/04/2021, I called Dpd again, they told me they finished the investigation, and they can't locate my luggage.    I‘ve attached all the conversation screenshots for your review, the sender is Xiao, and the Receiver is Antonio, pls see the screenshot from bottom to top, thanks!   Because there's no tracking history and no tracking updates since the driver picked the luggage up, I doubt the luggage got stolen, but I don't know. Parcelhero says the luggage is prohibited item, but what will they do with my luggage, why they didn't return it to me? Even the luggage is prohibited item, but the stuff inside are not, how can they refused to refund me and compensate me?     Please, I'm very desperate, they lost my luggage, I lost everything! I really need my luggage, or I really need the compensation. I appreciate any help you can provide! Thanks!                   
    • I also have just been ripped off by him, I actually drove the car with him in it with me and the car seemed ok, I have had it only 4 weeks and need to pay out for the problems with it 
    • Yes it must be a false address but as he walked away he waved at the person in the house Nextdoor to this address so they obviously no him   It maybe other family members that live there not sure but they definitely knew him by waving at him 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• Ebay Packlink and Hermes - destroyed item as it was "damaged". https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/430396-ebay-packlink-and-hermes-destroyed-item-as-it-was-damaged/&do=findComment&comment=5087347
      • 32 replies
    • I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
  • Recommended Topics

• Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

To cut a long story short, my sister was mis-sold a gym membership by an employee of a well-known gym.

She was told, over the phone, that she would only have to pay a £1 joining fee

and that would allow her to use the gym on a pay-as-you-go basis and that she could cancel this whenever she liked.

I might also like to add that she was never read out any Ts & Cs (essentially because this contract didn’t actually exist),

made aware of a cooling off period and never signed any paperwork.

This employee was a ‘friend’ which is why my sister trusted this information.

Little did she know, she was actually signed into an 18 month contract at £33 per month

and only realising this when the first £33 was deducted from her account.

To date, my sister has never received a ‘membership pack’, doesn’t know her membership number

so as a result has never used the gym (she’s never even stepped inside it).

In order to stop the money coming out of her account, she cancelled her direct debit, of which resulted in letters from the gym.

We have spoken to membership services, who were extremely uncooperative and sent a letter back to the gym

which has resulted in another letter from ARC Europe Limited stating that they

“can now take steps to prepare a County Court Claim”.

Do you have any advice on what we should do next?

Everything was done over the phone, so I'm assuming a signature wouldn't be needed?! Apologies, I mentioned that she didn't sign anything in the original post - I got confused.

Hi Edaj,

Don't deal with this by phone at all. Keep it in writing only so you have a good papertrail from now on.

Don't worry for now about threats of court action. This is extremely rare with gym agreements and there are many ways to argue about the gyms fairness and/or the enforceability of any agreement that's been entered into.

1. What gym is this.

2. When did YS "join".

3. What was done to give the gym her bank details.

If she signed a DD mandate, that may well have included a m/ship agreement.

What may be of particular help to YS is that the agreement is for 18 months - ie 6 months longer than The OFT deemed fair to gym members.

Give us answers so we can help.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi slick

Thanks for your reply. The gym is LA Fitness and membership commenced in February. Since February the only correspondence she has had, has been through one letter stating that she needed to re-instate her DD of £33. The next letter came from ARC Europe saying that she owed £624.80. As for giving the gym her bank details, these were supplied over the phone. Hope that helps?

Hi Edaj,

Did YS sign any DD mandate ?

If not, I would ask the bank to confirm the nature of the £33.00 paid to the gym on xxdate, ie was it a DD or a CPA pay't. When this is known, you can decide if you should seek a refund by way of a Chargeback (for a debit card transaction) or a refund under the DD Guarantee Scheme.

I would also write to LAF simply saying, "To enable me to consider demands received from ARC, please supply me with a copy of my gym agreement and the related payment mandate."

It may be that someone "signed up" YS and entered her bank details using their computer system, as if she was in the gym doing it herself.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks for your help Slick, we will definitely send a letter to LAF requesting a copy of the agreement and payment mandate and in the meantime she will contact her bank too. Will keep you posted!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Slick Just a quick update on where we’re at. A letter was sent by recorded delivery to LA Fitness on 3 July requesting a copy of the gym agreement and payment mandate. This was received and signed for by them. We have since had no correspondence from them at all. However we have received another letter from ARC Europe. This time stating the following: “Despite our previous correspondence, we understand that the above balance remains outstanding. A County Court Claim can now be prepared against you and can be issued in Northampton County Court. If this matter is passed to our solicitors for issue, our client will claim the following: TOTAL £804.78. If you ignore this letter we may pass this matter to our solicitors to issue the claim without further notice.” Do you have any advice as MS is extremely worried that she is going to have to go to Court? It just seems that LAF don’t want to respond and are ignoring the letters we send.

Sorry another update,

My sister just received a letter back from La fitness today with a copy of her contract and direct debit mandate. The letter states it is a 'web contract' to start with, but this was done over the phone. We have read through the membership agreement and they are requesting (before solicitor fees etc.) around £100 more than the contract is worth. There is no where on this contract that states my sister has agreed to anything and definitely hasn't signed anything. I don't know if it's important or not but also does not include a date this was set up. Does anyone have any advise on what to do next?

I also don't know if it helps that the membership has been signed up under my sisters nickname, not her actual proper name. The employee at the gym knew her by her nickname so has used this as her first name and all correspondence has been addressed to my sister under her nickname. Does anyone have an advise on whether this is still a binding contract?

Thank you

Hi Edaj,

I suggest a reply to LAF as follows :-

I deny owing money to LAF and you should instruct ARC (Europe) to stop making demands in this matter immediately.

This gym agreement was set up without me having full knowledge of the Terms and Conditions. I was told I could use the gym when I wanted and would pay for each visit.

I was told I was being tied into an 18 month agreement which is, of course, unenforceable due to it being longer than the 12 months regarded by the OFT as being fair to consumers.

Also, the alleged agreement is not in my proper name as it was "set up" by a friend of mine who used my nickname and not my proper name.

Please now confirm that you will stop making further demands or the matter will be the subject of a formal complaint to Trading Standards.

Let us know how they respond.