UK Roofing company taking the proverbial

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3435 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I would again remind you however that any such claim will be defended at County Court as I believe that I will be able to show through on the burden ...

I think I would add the word 'vigorously' before defended and end that sentence at the word 'Court'.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I would add the word 'vigorously' before defended and end that sentence at the word 'Court'.

Okay thanks I was just trying to get across that is is up to him to prove his case but I'll make the change.

The thing is that I'm all up for defending this as I don't see that he has any case and would normally say he'll never take it that far, but this is the exact type of moron that will go through with a frivolous law suite on principle which is a bit of a hassle for everyone involved.

I can't for the life of me see where he has a claim. There is no signature or deposit left, there can be nothing in the T&Cs saying a visit for a quote makes a binding contract.

I think he is just chancing it as he thinks you are easy.

I can't for the life of me see where he has a claim. There is no signature or deposit left, there can be nothing in the T&Cs saying a visit for a quote makes a binding contract.

He has actually stated in his letter that the contract was agreed by telephone following his visit.

He called me stating he could drop the price to £10,000 if I would accept.

I actually said to him that I would need to speak to my partner before making any decisions and that was where we left it with me saying don't call me I'll call you if we ever wish to proceed as I was getting fed up with his pushy attitude by this point.

The problem is he is now saying that is not what I said but that I told him to go ahead during the call which is simply not true.

How he could ever prove what was said by telephone I don't know as surely its my word against his however on my side I have always refused to sign his contracts (thankfully) and had no finance agreed until many weeks later however I suppose all he can do is try to convince the court otherwise.

Surely it would be for him to prove his case, not for me to prove what wasn't said.

not yet I am planning on doing this on Monday as I've been awaiting a response from the company, he does state in his new letter that he would welcome an investigation by trading standards as he can apparently produce his evidence to prove his good nature.

he did state in the letter that I have his permission to contact trading standards however contact with anyone else will mean a claim for defamation and damages, so I guess he doesn't want me calling Anne Robinson or Don't get done, get Dom

Hi Sam

You can contact who you like, he's trying to intimidate you. The more you post about this character, the more laughable he becomes. It would be good to see him on Watchdog. If he's done no wrong, he shouldn't fear anyone.

not yet I am planning on doing this on Monday as I've been awaiting a response from the company, he does state in his new letter that he would welcome an investigation by trading standards as he can apparently produce his evidence to prove his good nature.

he did state in the letter that I have his permission to contact trading standards however contact with anyone else will mean a claim for defamation and damages, so I guess he doesn't want me calling Anne Robinson or Don't get done, get Dom

IMO this guy is a DODGY TRADER. Anyway even if you did say to go ahead they should have sent u a contract to sign and agree fees etc.

Personally l would ignore them unless court papers turn up. Remember to contact watchdog trading standards etc

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Joke of the week - "You have my permission to contact Trading Standards" laugh.gif

Well atleast he made us laugh.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

This would be like those people that cold call on your door or via telephone trying to sell u something. Then they try and tell you cause u answered the door/phone you have agreed to a contract.

No contract No pay.

Referring back to post 29...if you had agreed for the work to be done as this company is alleging...why then haven't they turned up at your door with bricks, scaffolding and vans and things?

Do u really want a answer to this question?

IMO they have not turned up as its obvious they have NO contract to do this. He clearly never gave the good ahead. If they had without a contract then they would have not only been stupid but defently Dodgy Traders

I think it's been very well established that this outfit appear to be dodgy traders, what with the stupid threats of court action, the allegations of a contract and the forbidding of the name being mentioned or he'll sue for defamation. My question was meant in a lighthearted way, I mean, if this trader had decided that there was a contract, why haven't they come to do the work? Could it be that he is completely aware that he would have been turned away as no written contract exists? I'm following this case with interest because it is an interesting story. I want to know if this trader has done this with others and if they have paid up, and I'd love to see him named and shamed!

Is there the possibility that these people don't make a living as roofers at all?

Perhaps they collect leads, as they did from the OP, then visit the job, and stick in a ridiculous price, knowing that 99 times out of ten, they will get turned down.

In the unlikely event that somebody accepts their grossly inflated prices, then they "sub" the work out, probably to a roofer local to the area, a decent one, so there won't be any comeback for shoddy work - pay the contractor, and keep the remaining money for themselves.

How do they make the bulk of their income?

By conning people that they have entered a contract, threatening them, and relying on them not being au fait with CAG, or have I been enrolled with CAG too long, and gone all cynical?

Sam

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

Never thought of that Sam

Name one debt collector that has a good business model!

The DCA's buy up thousands of debts, and then play the numbers game, knowing that they'll get lucky with some; perhaps these people are the same, but instead of "Penny Annie" amounts, they rely on frightening one or two people into paying big ones every month.

Sam

All of these are on behalf of a friend.. Cabot - [There's no CCA!]

CapQuest - [There's no CCA!]

Barclays - Zinc, [There's no CCA!]

Robinson Way - Written off!

NatWest - Written off!

Well I'll be expecting a round of letters from the usual debt collecting parasites before too much longer unless of course this guy really is up for a fight in court although I highly doubt that.

His claim would be based on him being out of pocket for having to travel all the way down here for nothing, which is actually rather ironic as what does he think will happen when I submit a defence to his claim?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay for anyone following this I've just taken delivery of letter number 3 from this company,

As expected he completely ignores the points I made in my letter and has now accused me of deliberately wasting his time and money and states that I am fabricating facts to get out of his contract.

He denies his previous letter stated that no contract existed on him leaving the house (which it clearly does) then tells an outright lie by stating that during the first ever telephone call I apparently agreed that the quote would only be free if I went ahead with the work (that's a big one even for him)

He goes on to say that evidence will show I have fabricated the facts of this case and that I had no reasonable intention of proceeding with any form of contract in which case he is entitled to his expenses.

He then takes a different approach from insisting in his last letter than they will no longer accept anything less than £4,000 and asks me to make a reasonable payment offer to him to avoid the need for him taking me to court which he doesn't want to have to do (I bet he doesn't)

So as far as a reasonable payment offer goes that takes into full account all that's happened so far, how does, let's see, Sweet FA sound?

At this stage I'm seriously thinking of sending him a letter before action requesting costs against him for harassment and my time in dealing with a frivolous potential claim and asking him to make me an offer of payment

Ask him to prove the verbal contract of you agreeing to a free quote IF u take up a contract.

I would advise that SFA is more than a reasonable offer.

If you look at each letter he has sent you, you will find there are already inconsistences in his story. You really have nothing to worry about.

Okay for anyone following this I've just taken delivery of letter number 3 from this company,

As expected he completely ignores the points I made in my letter and has now accused me of deliberately wasting his time and money and states that I am fabricating facts to get out of his contract.

He denies his previous letter stated that no contract existed on him leaving the house (which it clearly does) then tells an outright lie by stating that during the first ever telephone call I apparently agreed that the quote would only be free if I went ahead with the work (that's a big one even for him)

He goes on to say that evidence will show I have fabricated the facts of this case and that I had no reasonable intention of proceeding with any form of contract in which case he is entitled to his expenses.

He then takes a different approach from insisting in his last letter than they will no longer accept anything less than £4,000 and asks me to make a reasonable payment offer to him to avoid the need for him taking me to court which he doesn't want to have to do (I bet he doesn't)

So as far as a reasonable payment offer goes that takes into full account all that's happened so far, how does, let's see, Sweet FA sound?

At this stage I'm seriously thinking of sending him a letter before action requesting costs against him for harassment and my time in dealing with a frivolous potential claim and asking him to make me an offer of payment