PILON timing question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3558 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Just a quick question, as I'm missing some of the information until Monday.

My wife and I quit working for the same employer on the 24th. We handed in our notice on the 17th, expecting to work until the 17th July as per our contracts, but were told by HR that we could leave on the 24th and received PILON to cover the period from then until the 17th July. The explanation given was that, as we are shortly emigrating, we would have more time to prepare - however, we're pretty sure they just wanted to backfill us more quickly!

Anyway, we have received our pay today, and it appears to be our normal monthly salary - no sign of any additional payments. We probably won't see our payslips until Monday, but the numbers certainly suggest that the PILON is completely missing.

My question is, shouldn't PILON be paid when the contract ends? I have a nasty feeling they are going to tell us it will be paid on July's pay date, which is after our move. I got made redundant from our previous employer, and they tried to do a similar date split for 'tax reasons' until enough people questioned it, and then the payments were made in a lump sum.

fix (vb.):

1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view;

2. to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences that are worse than the original problem.

Usage: "Vista fixes many of the shortcomings of Windows XP".

what do you have in writing to suggest this is actually PILON and not garden leave?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

In my experience it would normally be the case that the final payment occurs when the end of the notice period would have ended, so in your case on the next normal pay date after 17th July. You should then receive your P45 at the same time or shortly afterwards.

The critical thing is the date of termination - whether your leaving date is 17th July or your last working day, ie whether you are on gardening leave or left without notice.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

^^Apologies Emmzzi - didn't see your response!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

^^Apologies Emmzzi - didn't see your response!

same point, all good!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks to you both for replying so quickly on a Saturday morning!

We both received a letter accepting our resignation, containing the following paragraph:

Last day of employment: you will continue to work and be paid for all outstanding days up to and including this 24th June 2014, the remaining 17 days of your notice period will be paid in lieu. After your final payment in June you will receive a final payslip and your P45 which you will need to keep for your records.

It was also confirmed to us verbally that we would receive PILON, and that this was not gardening leave.

fix (vb.):

2. to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences that are worse than the original problem.

"final payment in June" seems clear to me. So a chat with payroll first? Odds on it's just a small admin error!

Oh good, that's what I had been thinking (and hoping). Payroll and HR don't always seem to communicate in this company, so I'm wondering if the accountant - who I spoke to on tuesday afternoon(!) - simply hadn't been told. Thanks!

fix (vb.):

It may also be that after the running of the June payroll that they may make separate payments a few days later in respect of the final salary.

DONATE HERE

Well, HR have replied and muddied the waters somewhat! I have been told that:

- We resigned on the 17th of June "with 1 month notice" but it was agreed that we would work until the 24th and be paid the 17 days balance in lieu.

- They had to deduct any outstanding monies, including excess holiday (which we both had), and outstanding travel loan payments (which I had forgotten about, in my case)

- That no deductions for sickness, or pay for overtime, were owed

...and that what we have been paid is therefore correct. However, this seems to be wrong in several places!

My wife has done some fag-packet calculations as we do not have our payslips yet, and has managed to work out that my payment was correct if she deducted outstanding holiday and loan payments, and added on the single day of overtime and the remaining PILON. As in, using the numbers from previous payslips, it is less than a couple of pounds out compared to the real amount.

Her pay, however, seems to reflect only the three days off sick that we know she took. The holiday outstanding amounted to exactly half the PILON, so we would have expected the actual amount to be much higher - this indicates to me that it simply hasn't been included.

I have replied to them to ask for some clarification, but I am a bit concerned, especially when they have even managed to miss recorded absence and overtime!

fix (vb.):