RLP Boots - Helping a Spanish friend, 3 letters received asking £147.50

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3583 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have already done some research on the RLP and their practices after I agreed to help a Spanish friend who for some reason or other decided to take a few items from Boots, after he had already made a purchase, the value cannot have exceeded £20 at most, and the items were recovered, intact, in saleable condition. He paid a fixed penalty notice and thought nothing more of it, until he received what must have been the RLP's second letter (the first never reached him) which stated that he had not responded to their first letter and that their client was seeking £147.50.

This was the first I had ever heard of the RLP, and my friend being from another country did not understand his rights in this situation, and got into quite a panic over whether this could affect his job with an airline. He sent a couple of emails and, on my advice, requested details of what these "costs" constituted i.e. what loss was suffered by Boots. He has now received another letter (attached below) in which they attempt to justify the "claim" as both "compensation" and "a contribution towards the time administraion and security costs incurred as a result of dealing with your wrongful actions."

He has now asked me to draft a written response, and I am just wondering how many legal arguments to include (of the Oxford case, CAB statement etc) or whether to simply dismiss their baseless claims altogether. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51816[/ATTACH]

You don't need to compose anything at all.

A simple one line letter will suffice....

"Any liability to your or your client is denied".

RLP cannot do anything to your friend, only Boots can but they won't.

You say your friend paid a Fixed Penalty Notice so the police were called and having been dealt with in that way then that is the end of the matter.

Yep. Fully agree with IMS. That letter is all you need. It makes jackie and co pretty irate, so she'll send letters about CAG and internet sites, saying we give out wrong advice. Even though the advice we give is the same as CAB, various solicitors, and even the judge in RLP's last court case back in 2012 said her entire bases for a claim is on very very shaky ground. She even had the cheek to say the judge was wrong.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Put some kisses on the bottom.

As in 'kiss my ass' Jackie?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Just ignore her pointless letters!

I can't justify how she can make a money total out of thin air?! Mine was for £300! She can jog on for that ;)

RLP are a con PLEASE DON'T PAY THEM TO DO MORE! IGNORE ALL LETTERS AND CALLS! :)

I have advised him to send the single line response, but if they continue to send threatening letters, I have a legal argument citing the CAB report and the Oxford case to refute their "claims". The more I learn about their practices the angrier I get, because they prey on the vulnerable and rely on people's ignorance of the law.