style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1841 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Toshiba has the following in their warranty:

TOSHIBA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR (1) DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF ANY PROGRAMS, DATA, OR INFORMATION ON THE PRODUCT BEING SERVICED, OR (2) THE RESTORATION OR REINSTALLATION OF ANY PROGRAMS OR DATA OTHER THAN SOFTWARE INSTALLED BY TOSHIBA WHEN THE PRODUCT WAS MANUFACTURED.

It doesn't matter what Toshiba has in their warranty - as I don't have a Toshiba warranty - that's the point !!!

This is NOT about the fault that developed, it is about the quality of support I might receive when a fault develops - the difference between support from Toshiba and the "PC World approach".

The problem I have recently experienced just demonstrates this. A warranty is insurance for future problems (not covered by SOGA) that might occur.

PC World's approach is to "destroy everything" in the blind hope it fixes the problem, even if it's not necessary and even if its doesn't fix the fault. In fact, it's a hardware proble, it fixes nothing and if it's a software problem, it just deletes the problem along with everything else - that's not a fix. It's like trying to cure a disease by killing the patient. Toshiba's approach is to "diagnose the fault" and fix just what is wrong.

How may times do I need to repeat the same thing?

This is about being misled as to what I though I was buying (I laptop with manufacturer's warranty) and what I actually received (i.e. laptop with worthless warranty).

No matter what fault developed, I would never allow PC World to touch my laptop without first removing my hard drive. I would not trust them with a pocket calculator.

They would not even try to diagnose what was wrong - they would simply destroy all my hard work, totally unnecessarily, and take no responsibility for doing so.

Toshiba, on the other hand, would actually try to diagnose the fault.

If it's a hardware problem - it's covered by warranty. If it's a software problem, they have identified it. Either way, the software and data are safe.

The reason for the exclusion is in case of a hard disk failure. That is why I take backups of data as I know hardware faults do in fact occur.

For all you posters who think you have technical expertise (but in fact do not) - go get a job at PC World - you will be welcomed.

Edited by sj001

The point is that it is no different to any other authorised service agent.

The point is that it is no different to any other authorised service agent.

The point is that there is a vast difference between Toshiba and PC World.

The fact is that I had I allowed PC World to perform the factory reset they wanted to do (as a first step 'diagnostic' approach, which Toshiba described as a 'last resort'), it would not have identified the cause of the problem (I have done this on my own) and it would not have solved the problem (which would have reappeared once the machine had been rebuilt). What it would have done is to totally unnecessarily destroy over a hundred hours of my work and cost me more money, for which PC World refused to accept any responsibility, without either identifying or solving the fault. That is why I would never allow PC World to try to fix a problem and that is why PC World's waranty is worthless to me. That would not have happened if Toshiba had tried to diagnose the problem.

This simply demonstrates the difference between PC World and Toshiba and is why I wanted the Toshiba warranty that was advertised with the machine, the Toshiba warranty that I was led to believe I had with the machine, and the Toshiba warranty that PC World failed to disclose to me prior to purchase that the had removed from the machine.

I am simply trying to warn people - if you buy from PC World and think you are getting a manufacturer's warranty - you are wrong. It is denied to you and you are not told about this. If you think the warranty PC World offers is that same, you are wrong. This experience demonstrates the danger and potential cost to you of letting PC World try to fix a problem - unnecessary destruction of all your work, failing to identify or fix the problem and refusing to take responsibility for any of this.

If you prefer to have a warranty with an organisation that actually knows what it is doing - insist on a manufacturer's warranty. Toshiba knows how - PC World does not.

So your laptop still has the fault? If you didn't let them recover it, hen I am guessing the dialogue stopped there.

As you won't tell us what the fault is, we cannot judge whether the advice to recover the computer was correct or not. Depending on the fault, the toshiba advice may have been to reinstall windows first as well, you don't know this as you didn't get support from them. A recovery is only last resort in some cases. If your problem was blue screening that pointed to a page file error, for example, then most people would just reset windows before spending hours trying to fix windows, which isn't guaranteed to work anyhow. Plus they wouldn't spend time doing that if you were not covered for software issues.

If you back up data and don't have many program's to reinstall, these days a recovery is a quick way of fixing many issues. It's only if you don't back up data, or don't know how to, would this be a problem.

It's not their fault you only have mobile broadband, instead of a proper connection to your home, allowing fast download speeds. You seem to be using this fact as a weapon to beat pc world with.

Whether the advice to resintall windows was right or not, rests solely on your ability to tell us what he fault was. As you aren't forthcoming with this, I suspect it would be detrimental to your argument and that is the reason why you won't tell us what the fault was.

Oh, and you didn't ask pc world before you bought it if you had a toshiba warranty or not, so there has been no breach of sales legislation.

Also, did you ask them if their technicians are toshiba certified or not, as I would like to know this.

You have no argument to base this on, other than the assumption you have in your head that toshiba would spend hours trying to rule out software by trying this and that. You don't know that their advice wouldn't have been the same, you are assuming

Oh, and you didn't ask pc world before you bought it if you had a toshiba warranty or not, so there has been no breach of sales legislation.

Also, did you ask them if their technicians are toshiba certified or not, as I would like to know this.

You have no argument to base this on, other than the assumption you have in your head that toshiba would spend hours trying to rule out software by trying this and that. You don't know that their advice wouldn't have been the same, you are assuming

I did not need to specifically ask PC World as the law entitles me to rely upon the manufacturer's descriptions of a product (which I did and which states all Toshiba laptops are sole with a manufacturer's warranty) and the onus of responsibility for any changes to that descripton falls with the seller. Yes I did ask if PC World technicians were certified with any recognised qualications and the response was "no". I was told they have in-house training which is not neitehr a certification nor a recognised qualification. I have previous positive experience with Toshiba support. Toshiba are the de-facto experts on Toshiba machines. I would not have been necessary to spend hours on this - just to have some relevant technical expertise and knowledge. Regardless of all you say, which is more supposition without the facts, you continue to miss the while point of the thread.

Consider the following quotations from this source: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/shropshire/con1item.cgi?file=*adv0043-1011.txt

"Statements about the goods you sell: Anything that is stated about the items you sell – by you, manufacturers, importers or producers – for example, in advertising or labelling, should be factually correct. It is important that you know what is being said about the goods you sell because these statements form part of your contract with your customer. For example, if an advert says that a pair of shoes is waterproof and a customer wears the shoes and finds they are not waterproof, then the item does not match the description."

So, there is a duty on PC World to know what the manufacturer has publicly stated (e.g. that all Toshiba laptops are sold with a manufacturer's warranty). This description by Toshiba forms a part of my contract with PC World. PC World knew they were selling a laptop without a manufacturer's warranty and failed to disclose this fact. PC World knew they were selling something that did not comply with the publicly advertised description.

"Any refund, repair or replacement you arrange with your customer relating to faulty goods must not cause them too much inconvenience and you will have to pay for other costs, for example, collection or delivery."

To require me to unnecessarily destrou over 100 hours of work would certainly be causing me too much inconvenience.

"If you disagree with a customer’s claim, you can ask if they are willing for you to send the item to a third party or the manufacturer for inspection. If the customer agrees you can do this, it is important to remember that the goods must not be damaged during this process."

There never asked me to send the laptop to the manufactuer or a third party. This did insist that I destroy the work and cost that had been expended on the product, thereby damaging it.

"If a customer suffers personally because of a problem with an item, they may be able to claim damages (money to make up for it). This is called consequential loss. One example would be if a customer had to pay out more money (perhaps to hire another item) because of a faulty item that you sold them."

"Retailers must use reasonable skill and care in performing services, for example installation, and if no time limit is agreed between the retailer and the customer the retailer should ensure the services are completed within a reasonable time."

PC World's attempts to identify the fault clearly demonstrated a lack of reasonable skill or care.

Edited by sj001

Thread is temporarily closed for review

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I have removed a couple of the latest posts from this thread.

I think the OP has made his point and there is nothing more to be achieved by leaving the thread open so it will remain closed.

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI

Read Here

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

4. The CAG Interest Tutorial

Read Here

5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

6. Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement?

Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag

Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1841 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you