Is there an accepted percentage of surplus funds that debt companies can try to claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3548 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I have just done an accurate expenditure and income sheet which amazingly shows that we have £500 a month free. I don't know where it is in the real world, but that's what it says.

My wife sent it off to BWLegal (it's her debt of £7k+) with an offer and it was refused. Their counter offer is that they want us to pay £375.98 per month which is 75% of this 'surplus'.

Would a court find this a reasonable percentage!?

If not, what would be considered a reasonable percentage?

There are other debts, If I divide the total amount against an accepted reasonable percentage, it would be normal to pay pro-rata, yes?

Thanks for any help.

Thats what "They" would accept. Sadly you dont have to comply with their threats. You pay what you can afford, just because you £500 a month doesnt mean that yiou have to pay them that. You can put some of that money away every month etc, You get the idea.

Anyway hacve you done a CCA Request? How about checked if there is any PPI?

Who is the original creditor?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

If the debt is purely your wife's then the budget should only really reflect her income and expenditure !

However, if between you, you have several debts then a joint I&E with the surplus monies to be shared pro rata amongst all of them.

You should allow at least 10% of your surplus for an emergency fund.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

tell us about the debts please

you should ideally never be paying a DCA or their fake/tame solicitors anything.

have tou sent them a CCA request?

are these debts on your credit file?

hope you are not talking to these fleecers on the phone?

there no legal remit at all for you to tell them your pers financial details neither!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi all.

I have just done an accurate expenditure and income sheet which amazingly shows that we have £500 a month free. I don't know where it is in the real world, but that's what it says.

My wife sent it off to BWLegal (it's her debt of £7k+) with an offer and it was refused. Their counter offer is that they want us to pay £375.98 per month which is 75% of this 'surplus'.

There are other debts, If I divide the total amount against an accepted reasonable percentage, it would be normal to pay pro-rata, yes?

Thanks for any help.

This nasty trick of demanding a household budget when the debt is held by one partner is wrong.

Personally I would get your wife to withdraw that statement formally and send details of her personal income/ expenditure only.

It is what the individual can reasonably afford to pay without causing undue hardship to them selves od dependants.

What you earn of have left at the end of the month is none of their business a "robust" letter pointing this out often solves this type of scenario.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

No DCA has any right to see this personal private information, only a DJ can request and view this.

That said, if YOU are wanting to come to an agreement, it ''MAY'' be in your interest to provide one, however in doing so, this is perfect proof

of just what happens, all they see are £££££'s figures in front of their eyes, and £££'s go into their profit pocket.

What is it?

Who was it originally with?

When was it taken out?

Are they legally able to collect this?

And is it on her credit file?

And How old is it?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi all.

Thanks for any help.

Most likely you under-estimated your expenditure in lots of areas and missed others out.

You can look at it another way. You both have incomes, you both contribute towards the household budget, but (presumably) only your wife has these debts.

You will also have some items of expenditure entirely for your wife & entirely for yourself.

If you split contribution to the joint expenditure either 50-50 or in proportion to incomes, that plus expenditure entirely on her would be her outgoings.

Subtract from your OH's income and you have her surplus. Take a proportion of that and share out pro-rata across her creditors.

Having said all that, ensure that the correct amount is being claimed (not inflated) & is being claimed by the correct organisation - make CCA requests for anyone claiming a debt for a loan/credit card and ensure that you have bills / statements for service contracts etc