Harlands, once again.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3564 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I unfortunately caved into the Harlands group ridiculous admin fees and paid them £50 for missing one direct debit. (£25 late fee and £25 for cancelling the direct debit.)

I know I shouldn't have paid late, that's my fault. After reading a lot of the threads it appears that I could have possibly been done over by them.

Is there any way I could possibly get these fees back?

Thanks!

Hi Ahughes and welcome to CAG

You have every right to challenge both of the fees paid although Harlands will write back justifying them in various ways. They'll probably also say their fees are authorised by The OFT or Trading Standards, which is utter nonsense.

Many site users have taken on major banks claiming a refund of penalty fees paid on credit cards. Usually they have won. Barclaycard, for instance, will refund before any final court hearing.

I think you have a good chance of getting the fees back but, just like the banks, Harlands are not likely to take you seriously until you file a court claim.

Only you can decide if it's worth the time and effort to get your £50 back. But, if you decide to try, we'll give you all the help and support we can.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hey Slick and thanks for your reply! :)

Of course I have the effort I'm a skint student over the summer...

What do you reckon I should do, send them a nice letter or go full throttle and threaten them with the courts?

Cheers :)

Hi AH,

Start of with a polite letter and see where that leads. See the template here for credit charge cases and adapt it for your case - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?405889-Reclaiming-Credit-Card-Charges-Preliminary-Letter-Before-Action

Use a simple interest spreadsheet to claim 8% on the charges from the date they were paid up to the date of your letter.

Change the letter to say, "I calculate that you have taken £xxx in charges and I also claim Statutory Interest at 8% of £xxx, making a total of £xxxx."

Send the Prelim Letter to Harlands office by RM Signed For delivery and let us know how they reply.

:-)

I now realise your admin fees are unlawful penalty charges

I require that you refund these to me within 14 days.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)