style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3587 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

My mother received a statutory demand about 3 years ago demanding close to £5000 in council tax which they claim my mother had not paid over the years. We agreed payment to avoid the case going to court and paid all but £600.00

My mother is now receving letters from bailiffs for council tax owed and the amount is over £4000.00. My mother is understandably upset. I wrote to the council and they claim these are more arrears from other years.

I will be sending a second letter and taking the complaint to stage two as I am not happy with the way the council has dealt with all of this before I do so I wanted to get some advice/help.

I would like some advice on how I should proceed. I would like to know why the council did not attach this amount to the statutory demand? Can I send a letter requesting all information and liability orders against my mother? The council has sent 2 - 3 different account numbers claiming they are all in my mothers name.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you

2 - the dates they were obtained

3 - the addresses they were for

4 - the period of time each covers

5 - how much each one was for

6 - how much is still outstanding

7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement

8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Please note they need to prove you owe the debt not just say it is outstanding.

You should be able to be shown the LO - they may find this difficult. It is for the council to prove the debt.

You are saying therefore that your Mother owed £9000 in Council taxes three years ago. Does that even seem likely that she hadn't paid CT for 7 years and not been taken to Court,

or not been hounded by bailiffs?

I'm sorry that sounded harsh when what I was actually saying was I find it hard to believe that the Council would have let it build up that high

thus the amount they are chasing cannot be right.

No need for SAR at this point in time, simply email them with the questions first, then ring and ask the same (record the call if you can). I have to agree with lfi, it seems incredible they sat back back and allowed 7 years of unpaid Council Tax....has your Mum moved house during the 7 yrs in question?

Im just wondering if this could be another council cock up, Have a word with your local MP and councillor they maybe able to intervene and get to the bottom of it a lot quicker. I have to agree with the others on here it dosnt sound right to me.

If a debt of this size is now with bailiffs then as long as your mother does not let the bailiff into the house she should be able to set up a sensible payment proposal. Given the size of the debt and theamount of exempt items under the new regulations there would little use of entering into a Controlled Goods Agreement and I would therefore suggest that a letter be sent to the enforcement company outlining her circumstances and proposing a sensible payment proposal.

Without knowing more details about your mothers circumstances it is difficult to advise any further.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

My mum did move out for a year and they have charged her council tax for both properties in that financial year.

I will send the complaint letter to stage 2 with a request to answer all the questions mentioned on the previous post. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

My mum did move out for a year and they have charged her council tax for both properties in that financial year.

I will send the complaint letter to stage 2 with a request to answer all the questions mentioned on the previous post. I will let you know what happens.

Was anyone else living there when your mum had moved out?