Advertising Scam - Small Companies beware

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is the list of companies i currently trying to get monies out of me but its just not happening:

Abingdon House - (Thomas Higgins Solicitors letters received, ring and no answer and all automated but don't speak to anyone 01515142109) - 01517071647

Blueline - 0151 2368051

Excel Media - 08453096181/08453096187

BCS Multimedia - 08450743318

Paramount - 08449913958

Quadrant Press - 01516321878

Safety Planners - 01612280266

Studio 31 - 01612368827

Turner Wilson - 08455194212

Wilson Haines - 01612286135

UK Safety Advice - 08721050037

Street Beat Associates - 01512291761

Imperial Media Ltd (trading as Affinity Media) - 01512077595

Range - 01614083413

Business Connect (received a call from someone on monday who said they were bailiffs and really threatened me and after a lengthy conversation they were told were to go, the number that contacted me but was withheld was 0844 740 0497)

Wish House - his name is Andy

Safety Awareness - Paul Richards 01612286396 mobile no 07586904713 (asked for a password said no chance gave me his manchester city)

All of these compaines are who have contacted me and they've had the nerve to ring my accountant and demand money and they have been told their not getting a penny so they are coming back to me and i am telling them it is in the hands of Trading Standards, OFCOM and also the police but they are still ignoring me, but they will get fed up before i do now thieving low life!!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:wave:

The point I was making was that when they phone you 'you' tell them that you are recording it for training purposes.

If it is a [EDIT] they will just hang up, you do not need to record the call to have the effect.

Do not let them force you into using an answer machine, some genuine customers do not like talking to a machine and you could lose potential clients.

dk

• 4 weeks later...

I just had another one who claimed to have been an accounts department from a media company. He was upset and annoyed that I had hung up on his colleague and was anxious to get payment. I told him that I had hung up because his business was a [problem] and that his publication did not exist. He asked how I knew this and I told him that I had received advice from the Trading Standards. Because I did not clearly hear his company name I asked him to repeat it (he gave another company that I have been unable to trace through Google) so probably made up on the spot. I told him to put any further details in writing and he hung up on me - Can you believe that! - I probably deserved it for hanging up on his colleague.

This guy claims to be from MJ Parker Ltd (Limited companies need to be registered at Companies House)

I also had demands from Interlink Designs Ltd and Garside & Co. Also for safety magazines. No paperwork or proof of publication.

Here's the twist though - I did a search for both and found Interlink Designs Ltd on a web site called The Advertising Protection Agency (TAPA).

I called them for advice and an investigator called me back. The investigators name is Declan Stubbs. He seemed quite convincing and explained all about 349 different companies that they (TAPA) were currently investigating. He mentioned awareness of Garside and Co from a number of compaints and it seemed pretty legit.

Then he gave me the hard sell on the TAPA is a not-for-profit organisation and for just £8.20 monthly, I can go on their DO NOT CALL list like the Telephone Preference Service and that they could actively pursue and recover anything that I had paid to the [problem] companies. That sounded just a little too good to be true and in my experience of rodent smelling, this smelled as rat-like as it gets.

I wasn't going to sign up over the phone and mentioned the web site had an application form. Get this - He then gave me his mobile number and asked me to call if I signed up online. This sounds like a salesman who wants to earn his fee for the sale and is worried that he wont get credited with it if I go online. He was really hungry for it.

He went on to point out that they (TAPA) work very closely with the Greater Manchester Police (GMP) and the Trading Standards, so I telephoned both after the call. GMP said that they had never heard of TAPA and Trading Standards hadn't heard or them either.

I've read anecdotal internet stories that suggest TAPA is a [problem] and others that say that the service worked for them and the calls stopped. Who's to say that the [problematic] have not opted for the long-game and would rather have you pay £8.20 a month for ever, rather than take a one-off hit and run for a couple of hundred quid?

All I'm saying is that I smelled a rat since the TPS is free, so is Trading Standards.

Take care and consumer beware!

David

Once the advertsing companies realise you know it a [problem] they'll pass your number to these 'database removal companies'. This pretty much amounts to organised crime yet the police and trading standards seem to do little about it saying they close down one and another springs up. It's a modern form of racket protection.

I too was in the same position a few months back after first advertsing with Abingdon. These guys although very professional seem to be the big players in this [problem] and I was called by exactly the same people as you (MJS Media) and sent adverts I didn't order after dealing with Abingdon. I told Abingdon house about these [problem] phone calls as I believed it was the same 3rd party company they used to phone me in the first place and after a few phone calls being passed around and being apoligsed to... surprise surprise the following day I got a call from the 'Database Removal Company' to remove my name so I don't get called. Let's be honest new company details are worth alot of money and companies will sell your details to anyone who'll pay.

Abingdon house or safeguard magazine claim they are innocent parties and they even warn you in their letters/emails that you will be [problem] phone callers but I see the same scenario everytime someone says they're being targetted:

1. Small business setup by inexperienced home owner.
  2. Abingdon house target new small businesses with advertising knowing inexperienced owner has a new advertising budget and thinks this sort of advertising will make them money.
  3. While the advert is being processed they arrange the 'password' phone call so you can trust any future phone calls using this password.
  4. Owner realises magazine is a complete rip off with local firms being placed in magazines that are distributed over 150 miles from their location (exactly how many is distributed is another question). Every company I emailed said they hadn't a single phone call from the magazine.
  5. Trusting phone calls now become the [problematic] and will milk you for every penny because the owner is inexperienced and doesn't know what to do. They think their home/business will be blacklisted if they don't pay.
  6. Once owner gets advice and realises it's a [problem] then the 'database removal company' will start phoning claiming it's free at first before sending you out the invoices if you even dare say yes to anything on the phone call. If again you let them know it's a [problem] they will even start verbally abusing you on the phone or laughing at you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have they contacted me yesterday and said I placed an advert with them back in sept and they said they were gonna take money from account yesterday, told them I had never heard of them or received an invoice and after he read some card details to me told him that if he attempted to take any money from account I would do them from fraud. I don't know where he got my card details from as I certainly did not give them to them and the card he was talking about was cancelled months ago so that tactic won't work, I am recording all conversations I have with these people and then when they have finished telling them it has been recorded and has been passed onto my solicitor. I also have Abingdon house ringing every day about money I owe them and have told them the situation is in the hands of my solicitor and that they have been sent a letter from them and they keep saying they have not received it, I know they have as I have a copy and copies of every letter to every thieving **** that has taken money from me, my solicitor has already told me that they have a voice recording from them but funny how they don't seem to know that they have sent it or recieved the letter. I would just ignore them and do as I am doing now and telling them they can get their xmas bonus from somewhere else as it won't be from me!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of Central Debt Recovery? Got a call from them today saying I owed some money for an unpaid advert (it's knowledge to me). The man (Mr Hudson) got really arsy with me when I asked for his debt recovery licence number-told me not to get clever with him.... I asked a simple question! Anyway, the number is 01612231183.

Has anyone heard of Central Debt Recovery? Got a call from them today saying I owed some money for an unpaid advert (it's knowledge to me). The man (Mr Hudson) got really arsy with me when I asked for his debt recovery licence number-told me not to get clever with him.... I asked a simple question! Anyway, the number is 01612231183.

sounds like a fake debt recovery. Probably the same advertising company asking for money but phoning from a different number. If they phone again tell them you've been in contact with trading standards, you're waiting for an official court summons from the company in question, mention you're recordng him and ask him to stop calling you.

sounds like a fake debt recovery. Probably the same advertising company asking for money but phoning from a different number. If they phone again tell them you've been in contact with trading standards, you're waiting for an official court summons from the company in question, mention you're recordng him and ask him to stop calling you.

My thoughts exactly! Thank you!

I forgot to say, the advertising company was Interlink Design...

Below is the complete record of the recent run in I have had with Safety Planners Ltd:

· Paul Thompson - 07771728183 called my mobile @ 12:49pm (8/12/10)

A caller claiming to be from Safety Planners Ltd called about the "Crime Prevention Booklet" called thanking me for my support and to say that I will be taken off the National Charity Database when my details have been confirmed by Paul's Supervisor. Apparently after I had completed this process I should have been receiving an E-mail with a certificate attached. I was also going to be sent an invoice for £100 for advertisement as well as the final artwork for the "Crime Prevention Booklet" AFTER I had paid the total amount.

I did question the initial £100 charge for an order I placed saying that I don't remember ever agreeing to pay for an advertising space in there "Crime Prevention Booklet" . But I thought I would hold my complaints about this possible misunderstanding for Paul's Supervisor as the conversation was going nowhere with Paul.

· Unknown caller - Unknown Possibly Withheld number phoned my mobile @ 12:57pm. (8/12/10)

· Unknown caller - Unknown Possibly Withheld number phoned my mobile @ 1:10pm. (8/12/10)

· Unknown caller - Unknown Possibly Withheld number phoned my mobile @ 1:18pm. (8/12/10)

· Paul Thompson - 07771728183 called my mobile @ 3:07pm. (Personal Mobile) (8/12/10)

Phoned me but I missed the call.

· Paul Thompson - 07771728183 text my mobile with the following message @ 3:07pm. (8/12/10)

"Jay if u dont pick up they cant take u off the database they wil stil take payment and u wil stil get calls"

· I then replied @ 6:10 (8/12/10) with the following:

"Sorry don't answer unknown & possibly withheld numbers, their usually Publication [problematic] on the other end. However if you colleague would like to contact me on a unwithheld number then I would be more than happy to talk to them"

· Paul Thompson - 07771728183 called my mobile @ 6:11pm (8/12/10)

Asking why I was not answering his supervisors calls, I told him that I do not answer Unknown Callers on my mobile. He then went on to say that there must be a problem with the telephone switchboard at his company (unlikely). Then went onto say that he would call tomorrow morning.

· Paul Thompson - 07771728183 called my mobile @ 12:40pm (9/12/10)

Asking why I have not been answering his supervisors calls again, I said I had received none appart from the withheld number yesterday. I told him that I had been reading about a people having problem with Safety Planners Ltd. and a 'Crime Prevention Booklet' and he said there is a load going around but him and the company he worked for was not one of them. He then said "You cant tarnish me with the same brush" LOL

I then said that I had received no artwork or invoice for this order. He then went onto say that I had received their artwork and gave his company my go ahead. I said that I never received any artwork from them and there must have been a misunderstanding. I then went on to say would not be paying any invoice until I see some hard proof like an invoice or some artwork.

He then got really rude saying that I was a liar about not receiving any artwork and started shouting at me down the phone. Then said I remember me agreeing for you (Paul) to remove my details from the charity database but not to advertising in your booklet. He continued to be rude and shout at me.

Then I told him under immense pressure to go ahead with the payment (I cancelled my Card shortly after he hung up). But If I never received any evidence of the order after payment then I would be chasing Safety Planners Ltd. through trading standards. I then went on to ask him for his full name and company of which he was either reluctant to give it up or did not know it too well.

Then I had to really coax him for his companies full postcode to that he replied "I can't remember it". I then said "I want the full postcode please" to which he replied "You are really taking the **** now" and went down some stairs (toke the mobile with him) to go a get it for me LOL. I got the full postcode, then he hung up.

Its safe to say he and his company were definatly trying to [problem] me, either that or this Paul went to one of the worst customer service training class ever concieved LOL.

I have had no calls so far and I dont expect I will, It'll be invoices from now on. They will be going straigh to Trading Standards and Consumer Direct.

I will keep you posted with any updates on this matter and thanks for reading this long ass post lol

They exist company based somewher in the Manchester Area

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

you acutally gave him you credit card details? Have you recorded any of the calls? I suggest you record everything in future.

I just gave him just to shut him, so we could move on with the conversation so I could coax some more information out of him. I suppose in hindsight I could have given him fake detail, but it was just the heat of the moment lol.:wink:

They exist company based somewher in the Manchester Area

DG

I have heard of this Mr Hudson before hes not a real debt collector. Just another way these **** try and get money out of ya. Just hang up and report him to Trading Standard, im sure they have an extensive of him on record. I just dont answer any call with 0161, cant be bothered talking to the lowlifes.

:sorry: Just a passing thought

:der:

If people actually read the threads they would know not to :phone: engage the :lie: truth bender's :lie: in :tape2: conversation.

Just keep to e-mail or snail mail.

Then they would not get sucked :frog:in and blown out in bubble's :smow: ie: card details.

:mmph:

Unfortunally they seem only read the threads as they float by in blown out bubble's. :-(:rofl::-(

dk

• 5 weeks later...

Re: post #57 26th November 2010 00:37

Yes, much the same happened to me & they played a recording of me apparently 'agreeing' to the advert. I was in fact agreeing that I had placed an advert with another company! My invoice number would indicate that they have raked in 85,000 which works out to around £25.5 million by end of December 2010. Why are the police/trading standards so slow to act?

There was another excellent posting regarding this by Rexi81on 11th November but unfortunately it has vanished.

Edited by LLB999
Typos

Dont agree to advertise with anybody who you know are not bonified, or are not completly satisfied with.

Just say no to advertisments that sound to good to be true - you only get what you pay for.

Dont agree to place an order in the first place.

You can legally cancel any order within 7 days, of the order being placed

2 days ago I had a call from MM Solutions stating we had an unpaid invoice of £299 for advertising in Action Awareness magazine.

They stated they had a fax which I sent confirming the artwork. When I asked them to fax it back to me so I could check the signature they refused!

We have not had the Advert they are talking about, they are just another company trying to [problem] us!

Hi Andblagg and welcome to CAG.

There are so many of these companies that try this.

If you are called, ask for their company name, address and postcode so you can send a cheque if anything is owed. If they give a PO Box address, say you will only send payment to a proper address.

Then ask them to send proof of your agreement to the advertising. They may say, "We have a taped conversation, a fax from you or someone else must have agreed to this ad."

Then tell them you're aware of this type of trick and will be reporting them to Consumer Direct. Tell them not to call you again and DO call Consumer Direct about it.

8)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 2 weeks later...

The point I was making was that when they phone you 'you' tell them that you are recording it for training purposes.

If it is a [problem]mer they will just hang up, you do not need to record the call to have the effect.

Do not let them force you into using an answer machine, some genuine customers do not like talking to a machine and you could lose potential clients.

dk

Do not tell them that you are recording the call for "training purposes", as you are clearly not and you could actually cause yourself legal problems later as you may be restricting your options. If you are recording the call then be open about it, and tell them the real reason. Also remember that you have no legal requirement to disclose that you are recording the calls at all, providing that it is for your own personal use (including use as evidence later), and not for publication etc.

These Abingdon House cowboys are threatening me with Daniels Silverman appointment notice. I've written asking for proof sent it recorded delivery and received nothing back. Are they really intending to come down to my business? If they do I have three brother who would consider this trespase and deal with it accordingly lol

Help me to help others!

Sorry to bother you all but my other half has set up his own small company and today got a call on his mobile, from Espress Ltd, or Emergency Services Press, they are based in Wirral Birkenhead. He assumed as the mentioned the Fire brigage that a pal of ours had passed his details on.... anyway gullable has agreed to an advert at £175 + VAT but he has been emailed the details and there is no artwork on it is says we have to email artwork to them???

Is this one of these scams that are going around, their website seems pretty genuine it even contains a section on what to do if you have been apprached by a company claiming to be them... my worry is that this address on the inovice does not match anything on the website!!!

What can we do? Any help appreciated.

Hi Fitt and welcome to CAG.

There are some Co's that produce booklets for the emergency services but I choose to use NONE of them.

If I agreed to advertise with every Booklet, Wallchart, Children's Charity, Estate Agents Folder, etc that contacted me, I'd be broke.

If you want to do an ad with them, fine. But if, on reflection, you choose NOT to, email them saying you wish to exercise your right to cancel. Back this up with a Recorded Delivery letter confirming that you choose to cancel.

8-)

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick,

Many thanks for your reply. On digging about on the net we have discovered this is indeed a edit. We have contacted local police and fire brigade who have also confirmed that this is a edit and has nothing whatsover to do with them. Lesson learned, thankfully before any money lost! Other halfs business partner STILL does not believe us and saying its a good opportunity and for a worthwhile cause..... just goes to show how easy for folks to get sucked in hmmm :sad:

So another name to add to the many in Liverpool area who try and rip us all off!

Also reported to Trading Standards, they also advise ignore and they will go away or send letter back recorded delivery saying want to cance... just as you kindly advised.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated, he wont be so green in future!! :-)

Fittaedae

Edited by slick132
edit of defamatory words (or close to them).Please check site rules about posting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks