Redundancy and employing sub contractors

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3565 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I' hope i'm posting this in the correct place as its my first time on the site.

I'm currently 8 weeks into a 12 week redundancy notice as the boss has said that we don't have any work on to keep going. So myself , another work mate and a part time secretary are finishing on the 18th July. Since receiving redundancy notice my boss has now secured work for the school summer holidays and possibly into September. On hearing this news from him i then prompted to ask him what happens to our jobs then come the 18th July and his reply was that you are still being made redundant.

What i would like to know is if we all finish on the date mentioned then how would we go on if our boss was to use sub contractors to get the work done. We are a flooring business and all 3 of us have each been there for over 20 years.

Thanks.

Edited by RaffatheRed

If the work continues, then there is a possibility that this may not be a genuine redundancy situation. In certain circumstances the sub contracted firm may be even obliged to take you on under TUPE.

This depends though on the precise nature of the work being subcontracted, the frequency and duration of the work and the 'fit' between the job that you do and the job that the subcontractors are doing. I am presuming that you are still 'employed' at present and under consultation? Have you asked the question as to why, if the work still exists, you are not being retained until such a time as the work does not exist? Might also be worth asking why the employer feels that TUPE does not apply if the undertaking to carry out the work has been transferred to another entity?

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!