College Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I left college in 2013 (Scotland) having completed a proportion of the course but left due to an injury at work. I don't recall any further communication from the college, however I received a letter today asking for an outstanding balance of the full course amount (£1,285) on behalf of the college.

I have been instructed to communicate only with them regarding this scenario. I am wary of what my next steps should be as I don't trust these people and I expect that they would quickly use my words against me if they could.

At the very most, I feel I should be liable for the fees only for the proportion of the course I completed.

I am curious as to what my rights are in this scenario. I don't recall specifically if there was some form of credit agreement in place. Advise would be most welcome.

Most courses do come with an agreement that if you fail to complete the course that you are still liable for the whole amount.

Do you have a copy of the agreement?

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

No,

Presumably I am entitled to see a copy of the credit agreement before continuing?

Is the standard credit agreement request template still applicable for Scotland?

I think it would be fruitless to enter into a discussion with the institution, but I would like to see some paperwork at least!

Tuition fees are not covered by cca as its not a credit agreement its a service agreement

You would need to send a sar request

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

• 2 months later...

In this particular scenario, it appears that the debt company only have a copy of an invoice. I'm not certain whether or not there is a copy of an agreement anywhere in place.

Opus, who seemed uncannilly relaxed about things on the phone, didn't appear to be pushing for payment but more or less outlined action that I could speak to the college or come back to them if I agree with the amount outstanding, and set up a payment plan.

I just wonder what my rights and responsibilities are in this scenario.

DCA cant enforce it but college can. Best speak to college registry and stay away from Opus altogether. The college may well delay payment for a year if you explain things but if you dont tell them they will continue to chase.

Didf you receive compenastion for the injury at work? If that is being looked into add the course fees to the total you are claiming