• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

wonga disregarding letter re. circumstances and payment plan offer

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3416 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So, Wonga emailed saying they needed to learn more about my financial position to set up a repayment plan. Even though their expenditure calculator on their website told me I can't afford to make repayments, something I have already told them! So anyway, I assume a) I can reject the request for further information (have already provided my own budget sheets) and b)I should determine what's affordable, not them? Also they continue to attempt emails even though I have told them that's unacceptable. Is there anyway to make them comply with a 'letters only' request? Also, despite placing my account on hold from collection, I received a call from Moorcroft under an hour after Wonga's email! Unbelievable. Ps. Still looking for help on my Moorcroft query above. Many thanks. :-)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them to look at the info you sent. If they refuse your offer of payment, you will drop them to £1 a month and contact the FCA. With emails, just send them the letter only request and tell them you have blocked all emails from them to ensure your request is met.

With moorcroft, if wonga own the debt, tell moorcroft to sod off, and if they wont, then you will not hesitate to report them to the FCA and Trading standards.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Tell them to look at the info you sent. If they refuse your offer of payment, you will drop them to £1 a month and contact the FCA. With emails, just send them the letter only request and tell them you have blocked all emails from them to ensure your request is met.

With moorcroft, if wonga own the debt, tell moorcroft to sod off, and if they wont, then you will not hesitate to report them to the FCA and Trading standards.

Thanks Renegadeimp, I assume Wonga still own the debt as they are still in contact with me and claim to have 'frozen' my account for 38 days, although in reality it has been frozen a lot longer than that. I don't really know what the 'naughty boy' approach of disregarding my letters and continuing to send emails is meant to achieve. Are they really so narrow-minded as to assume they can hassle every customer into settling on their terms?

Yes. Thats exactly how almost every pdl operate.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Well, I tonight received an email (still no letter, despite my multiple requests for letter only) by way of response to my complaint. Please see below (my comments in bold)...

We’ve investigated your case but unfortunately we can’t uphold your complaint.

We have not received your letter of the 12th June 2014, however I can confirm that no interest has been applied to this account, other than the interest provided in your contract. A blatant lie- it was signed for and the complaint they responded to also included a copy. The contract interest includes the ongoing simple interest (over £100 extra)- I believe this is not permissible when I have contacted them to resolve?

Unfortunately, a balance remains outstanding on your account. I note that you do not wish to correspond with us by phone. Or email, a point they have ignored several times.You might kindly note that you can set up a repayment plan, through the ‘My Account’ facility. No I can't- when I click on this I get a generic 'advisor will be in touch to discuss' message. When I could previously, it said I could afford

We have applied a default charge to your account, which was incurred prior to your letter of the 12th June 2014.

I can live with £20 but not the ongoing interest.

In relation to your complaint that we did not account for your personal or financial circumstances, we cannot uphold that complaint.

Not what I said- my letter and following complaint related not taking account of a changed set of circumstances.

1. We carried out a CRA search when you applied to borrow from us. CRA files give us details information on your credit history and also help us build a credit score for you;

True!

2. We asked you for detailed information regarding your personal circumstances, and we sourced further information about you online;

Patent nonsense- they ask very basic information.

3. All this information was used to carry out an affordability assessment before each loan was granted;

4. We asked you when you took out your loans to confirm that you could afford to repay those loans, and you indicated that you had considered this and were satisfied that you could do so; and

Again, my ability to repay the lump sum value changed, this is the relevant point (ignored).

5. We gave you a copy of the loan agreement, adequate explanations and Standard European Consumer Credit Information Sheet prior to agreeing to your loans. You told us you had read these documents and these documents clearly set out the information about the cost of borrowing and the nature of our product. Our website and advertising also contain full information about our product.

This is our final response but if you’re not satisfied with it, you can refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If want to do this, you can within 6 months of the date of this letter.

Obviously I'm not, as I won't pay an additional £100 or so of interest and I can't pay it all as a lump sum.

Should I attempt to complete their I&E form as a gesture of goodwill and if they fail to agree to waive the additional interest and agree a repayment plan, then go to the Ombudsman? Or should I just go straight to the Ombudsman as the content of their response is only partly accurate, they have failed to take account of my circumstances and they have failed to abide by their own complaints procedure?

Many thanks, as ever! :-D

Should have mentioned, Moorcroft continue to be in touch, despite Wonga claiming to have stopped collection activity. Their most recent letter (see, it can be done Wonga!) notes my payment to Wonga and says I should pay them. (Even though they don't own the debt and Wonga at the time hadn't handled my complaint.)

Tell moorcroft to get lost. Get wonga to call them off or youll report both companies to the regulators.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know how today's news https://www.wonga.com/help/affordability-remediation will affect debts such as mine? Who decides whether my loan was genuinely affordable at the time or not? Obviously would make the world of difference to me if Wonga would write of £475 (or £630+ according to them) worth of debt! :-D

Hi,

I think it's a case of wait and see what they post to you.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

They have said that they will have written to everyone affected by 10th October.. so keep your fingers crossed.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

3 monthly payments left for me on a 15 month repayment plan - hope they write off what I owe!

however go back 12 months things were very different - was constantly paying back wonga in full on payday then having to take out another loan just to survive to the next payday. I was clearly in financial difficulties but kept getting loan applications accepted. Was just in a circle of debt and to be honest any responsible company should have refused my applications - maybe wishful thinking but would be a nice surprise if wonga refund me a big wad of interest!

• 2 weeks later...

So nothing from Wonga, very disappointed. Any idea what I can do, given they have issued their 'Final Response' to my complaint? To my mind, I clearly fall under their criteria of improperly assessed affordability. Regardless, the information provided in their response above is clearly contradicted by recent statements on their failings.

Hi jamezon

Though you meant that u had complained again after the ruling 2 Oct coz going of what you have said in your thread I reckon you have a case, if you have not been in contact with them since this new ruling came into effect I would certainly be ringing their bell if they have not been in touch, stating the facts as to why this new ruling does not apply to yourself.

Hi jamezon

Though you meant that u had complained again after the ruling 2 Oct coz going of what you have said in your thread I reckon you have a case, if you have not been in contact with them since this new ruling came into effect I would certainly be ringing their bell if they have not been in touch, stating the facts as to why this new ruling does not apply to yourself.

Thanks Tinkerman, I have also commented on the main thread on 'hearing from Wonga' with an email address they gave me to contact. I don't think it looks to clever for them as their justification for rejecting my complaint contradicts the Oct 2 information (that they are 'robust'). I think my main issue may come as I essentially asking them to revisit a 'Final' response. I will chase with another letter if they do not respond to my email to [email protected]. Then FOS if need be.

Good news!

Only saved myself £105 but guess its better than nothing......

You may have already read or heard in the news recently about an announcement on 2nd October from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regarding changes to our lending criteria.

We can confirm that you have been affected.

The changes mean that we have new ways of testing whether customers can afford the loan they want to take out - these are called affordability criteria. We have investigated your case and we believe you are one of the customers who have been impacted as a result of these historical affordability issues.

What happens next

We will automatically clear any outstanding debt you have with us and your balance will be set to zero. This will be done by the end of October 2014. You do not need to do anything.

We are working with the relevant credit reference agencies to remove records relating to this loan from your credit report. We expect this will take between three to four weeks to be completed. This will be done automatically and there is no further action required from you.

Key Facts for customers

We have committed to a major customer forbearance programme in light of changes to our lending criteria

We have identified you as being affected by affordability issues and so we are clearing any outstanding debt on your loan

Please do not make any further repayments

You do not need to do anything. We will contact you to confirm that your balance is zero.

For further information, you can find out more on the lending criteria changes

We want to put things right for our customers

We are writing to you as a Wonga customer. If you believe you have received this email in error please call our customer care team free on 0800 042 0210 or if you are calling from a mobile on 0333 003 0830.

Dear Mr Mark Wilkinson

If you are currently making repayments to us, such as by Standing Order, please do not continue to do so. We recommend you contact your bank to cancel these repayment arrangements. Please be assured that, should a repayment be made, we will refund this amount to you.

We will contact you in due course to confirm that your balance is zero.

If you are in an Individual Voluntary Arrangement (IVA) or your debt is being managed through a Debt Management Provider it is your responsibility to inform the person managing your debt of these changes.

On behalf of our Chairman, Andy Haste, and the rest of the team at Wonga, we recognise that we may not have always made the right lending decisions and for this we apologise. We intend to be sure in the future that we only lend to customers who can reasonably afford to repay their loans.

You can find out more about these lending criteria changes here. Alternatively, please call our customer care team free on 0800 042 0210 or if you are calling from a mobile on 0333 003 0830.

Yours,

Tim Weller Interim CEO, Wonga Group

This still doesn't address the cases where Wonga went into people's bank accounts and removed the entire funds there which were far more than they should have taken....

I still think this company is going to be forced to close...they dug a very deep hole for themselves.

Aside from the recent drama, in my own personal case, Wonga updated my credit record to 'up to date' from a more negative position. This is following a couple of (small) voluntary repayments I made. Can anyone confirm if this is standard practice or more likely relating to the recent developments?

I think people need to remember that not being able to pay back your loan doesn't automatically entitle you to get your*interest*back or for your debt to be written off. the story in the news is more so about that based on the information at the time of taking the loan that it should have been obvious that it wasnt affordable for many reasons such as not enough income for the amount borrowed or a bad credit history that shows unlikely to pay back or is already struggling with debts. if your circumstances changed after you took out the loan like change of job, became ill or became wreckless or unable to manage your money properly when you did before and then defaulted on the loan that wouldnt count as it was not originally a bad lending decision.

• 1 month later...

Well, well, well, I wasn't expecting this...

spacer.png

Information about your loan

spacer.png Dear Mr James Fojut spacer.pngAs we look to improve our technology, we're moving to a new operating system. Your loan will not be moved to this system and, as a result, your outstanding balance has been closed. You do not need to make any further payments.

We recommend you contact your bank to cancel any payment instructions, such as Standing Orders. Any amount that you repay to us from 26/11/2014 will be refunded to you.

Thank you for being a Wonga customer. If you have any questions please call us on 0207 138 8330. spacer.png Best wishes,

Customer Care

wonga.com

This is an (eventual) response to when I complained to their original 'final' response, not least on the grounds it contained a couple of outright untruths. Worth being a pest as they had recently rejected from inclusion in the write-off program on 04/11/14 and then re-acknowledged my response to their's on 02/12/14.

Needless to say...