marlin nasty tactics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3573 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Brigadier!

Original creditor is apparently Britannia SARL. Never heard of them, never had dealings with them, never had a letter from them, never purchased or borrowed anything from them. Cabot sent me a letter last year, never replied to the CCA request. Then I get this letter from Marlin!

Britannia SARL are debt purchasers, so the debt has been flogged a few times

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Hello Brigadier!

Original creditor is apparently Britannia SARL. Never heard of them, never had dealings with them, never had a letter from them, never purchased or borrowed anything from them. Cabot sent me a letter last year, never replied to the CCA request. Then I get this letter from Marlin!

Hello gayle.

So never a customer of Brittania or any company?

I think a formal complaint to Marlin along the line of.

Sir/Madam,

I refer to your letter dated xx/xx/xxxx, regarding an alleged debt for £xxxx.xx supposedly originating from and account with Brittania SARL, please take note I Do Not Acknowledge any Debt to Marlin or any company it may claim to represent.

For clarity and the avoidance of any misunderstanding please note the following points:

1. I do not acknowledge any Debt to Marlin.

2. I am not now nor ever have been a client/customer/borrower with Brittania SARL.

3. I will not therefore make any payment or offer of payment regarding this spurious debt.

4. Marlin will cease all contact by telephone, sms text message/e-mails or letters with immediate effect.

5 Marlin Will remove all adverse data from all credit reference agency files to which it has reported the spurious

alleged debt.

This is my final response.

send signed for post and check delivery.

My guess is this may be one of the very old credit cards accounts Brittania purchased e.g MBNA and some of "branded cards" that were popular a few years ago.

Think back on what CCs you have had in the past.

BUT still send the letter as Marlin have not disclosed the name of the original creditor.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The tone of this letter is so very different from the other 2,

its like the difference between night and day.

If you mean from Marlin

it's because you sent them a template letter from the forum,

Marlin will know this and also most likely know you're a little more informed now and perhaps keeping a paper trail .

..they want to be seen to conforming with the guidelines etc.

...which for any DCA is just par for the course, they dont usually give a hoot

on what they spill out to their alleged clients,

but when they think you come armed with knowledge

it's a different story.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Brittania Recoveries SARL debt purchase/collections, but who was the original creditor??

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Brittania purchased large amounts of Egg and MBNA and their affinity card portfolios

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Yes indeed typo should read Britannica Recoveries SARL

Hi all.

No reply to my CCA request as yet.

I still have no clue as to who the alleged original creditor was.

And if they don't provide any information,

I STILL won't!

Ex husband controlled everything and I dimly remember being told to sign some stuff in the mid-nineties.

I am not willing to go into the mental abuse side of it, but got out a few years ago.

This could stem from something I signed then and was told I had to keep paying as part of leaving without him putting up a fight,

but if the alleged debt has been sold on and on without me being informed, I'll never know.

Apologies for any misunderstandings, Brigadier, you are quite correct, the OC is listed as BRITANNICA RECOVERIES S.A.R.L, not Britannia. I read it wrong on the letter.

Dispute letter sent recorded delivery to sign for, copy and proof of posting stapled to their last letter.

And now we wait.

Edited by gayles power
incorrect information given.

• 2 weeks later...

Got letter from Marlin this morning.

We write with reference to the above matter and your recent letter dated XXXX in regards to the request pursuant to S.77 (1) S78 consumer credit act 1974.

'We confirm that we are at liberty to supply any details we hold relating to your account on file, unfortunately as we have been recently appointed to collect the debt, we do not hold a copy of the loan agreement therefore we have contacted Cabot Financial for this information and will forward to you upon receipt.

the account will remain on hold whilst we are awaiting this information, until such time that the Agreement has been received the account will remain unenforceable.''

A couple of points here, that is the first time they have mentioned its an alleged debt for a loan.

Surely if they took over the account, Marlin would have to have ALL the relevant details, such as proof that such a loan exists in the form of the original agreement or copy thereof.

The date they have quoted for the recent letter is incorrect, I sent the CCA letter on june 13th!

This letter now filed safely in order with the others received from Marlin, as from reading on here, they can start up again and threaten some months down the line, and if they do, it would be good to send copies of this letter back to them, and every regulatory body else I can think of. If they do of course.

Got letter from Marlin this morning.

We write with reference to the above matter and your recent letter dated XXXX in regards to the request pursuant to S.77 (1) S78 consumer credit act 1974.

'We confirm that we are at liberty to supply any details we hold relating to your account on file, unfortunately as we have been recently appointed to collect the debt, we do not hold a copy of the loan agreement therefore we have contacted Cabot Financial for this information and will forward to you upon receipt.

the account will remain on hold whilst we are awaiting this information, until such time that the Agreement has been received the account will remain unenforceable.''

A couple of points here, that is the first time they have mentioned its an alleged debt for a loan.

Surely if they took over the account, Marlin would have to have ALL the relevant details, such as proof that such a loan exists in the form of the original agreement or copy thereof.

The date they have quoted for the recent letter is incorrect, I sent the CCA letter on june 13th!

This letter now filed safely in order with the others received from Marlin, as from reading on here, they can start up again and threaten some months down the line, and if they do, it would be good to send copies of this letter back to them, and every regulatory body else I can think of. If they do of course.

Hi,

It is a common misconception that DCAs/Debt Purchaser receive all the data regarding debts when they acquire them, debts are sold in portfolio lots with little more than the most basic data, e.g. the Name and address of the debtor any other contact data, the name of the original creditor and default date, amount owing.

The only actual restriction on the DCA in this scenario is enforcing via the court.

Hi Brigadier!

Thanks for the info.

It seems very strange to me that someone who writes demanding money and threatening legal action

should not have all the documents needed to prove that its a valid debt.

These letters from Marlin made me shake as I read them, they were that nasty!

However, if this is the way it is, then it is the way it is.

I am so glad I found this site, someone directed me to it after a bad do with fraud

and Welcome finance and and they got it sorted out in 3 letters thanks to the CAG,

so we both tell everyone with a problem to look on here for the best advice and follow the relevant threads!

Thank you

Hi Brigadier!

Thanks for the info. It seems very strange to me that someone who writes demanding money and threatening legal action should not have all the documents needed to prove that its a valid debt. These letters from Marlin made me shake as I read them, they were that nasty! However, if this is the way it is, then it is the way it is. I am so glad I found this site, someone directed me to it after a bad do with fraud and Welcome finance and and they got it sorted out in 3 letters thanks to the CAG, so we both tell everyone with a problem to look on here for the best advice and follow the relevant threads!

Thank you

The size of a portfolio of debts hundreds of thousands (sometime millions) of pounds make supply of data difficult.

Marlins conduct is often unreasonable and often inaccurate they need to be dealt with robustly.

Pleased to hear the Welcome deal is cleared up.

Hi Brigadier!

Thanks for the info. It seems very strange to me that someone who writes demanding money and threatening legal action should not have all the documents needed to prove that its a valid debt. These letters from Marlin made me shake as I read them, they were that nasty! However, if this is the way it is, then it is the way it is. I am so glad I found this site, someone directed me to it after a bad do with fraud and Welcome finance and and they got it sorted out in 3 letters thanks to the CAG, so we both tell everyone with a problem to look on here for the best advice and follow the relevant threads!

Thank you

have a re read of post no 11, it explains what Marlin can and cannot do .At the moment they are complying

to put you at ease .

when it says within 7 days it's from when you recieved it not when they decided to post it that is why we say keep the envelopes the letters come in hope this puts you at ease.

Hi

I too have been having correspondence from these people.

Thought I would just point out that the envelopes that my letters from them have arrived in have absolutely NO DATE on them.

They are not using Royal Mail but another mail system, in fact letter from their solicitors Restons arrived at 6pm.

I too have noted that their letters are taking 5 days to arrive.

this is a well known DCA/Nasty Solicitors tactic

good luck

regard Poppay

they have all used UKMail since it came about

infact if you delve deeply you'll find it interesting who actually probably funded the UKMail organisation.

just remember they are not BAILIFFS

and often or not their solicitors are fake/tame

just another letterhead in the same printer

from the same automated PC controlled system.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi poppay2

Yes, just checked my envelopes, nothing identifiable as a date on mine either. You could do what I do, and scribble the date you received it on the top of each letter.

I will write my shopping lists on the backs of these date free envelopes - well, since Marlin are sending them free, they might as well be useful for something! You don't often get something useful for nothing these days!

I keep the envelopes that all debt letters arrive in and write on the them the date received and a note of the content so that I have a record. I then keep the letter in its envelope. Usually there's at least three days between the 'date' in the letter and the date received, often up to five or six days.

OMWO

I decided to keep a box file specifically for this lot of letters. Every letter I have received goes in, in date order and with proofs of postage and a copy of my reply letter stapled to it so I know what I replied to which letter and on what date. So far so good. I suppose the fun starts if Marlin either try it on again themselves, or pass this unenforceable alleged debt on to another DCA. I have heard of a 'bemused' letter that can be sent if it does get passed on to another DCA when its in dispute. Is that one in the library?