Didn't get paid my JSA because apparently I've changed my address? Someone help!

BomBomBom
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3593 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So I've been signing on since January and usually have no problems with the Jobcentre. I've had 8 interviews this year including one only four days ago where I was interviewing for a position in a hospital. I prove I look for work and generally get no hassle.

Anyway on Thursday I got a text message and email from the DWP with this message -

We have received a change in circumstances to your Job Seeker’s Allowance claim but are unable to process it until we have received your change of address. A letter has been sent to you along with a pre-paid envelope. Failure to return the information promptly may result in a further delay in processing your claim.

I haven't changed address OR made a new claim. I was at the Jobcentre on Wednesday (the day before I got this message) and signed on fine. I didn't get any mail from them yesterday or this morning, and when I checked my bank today I discovered I hadn't been paid by them! I called up the "benefit enquiries" number on my booklet and asked why I hadn't been paid my JSA to which some ******** said "awwwww petal. And what do you want me to do about it?" then hung up the phone. I actually sat frozen for about 10 seconds after this wondering what the hell had happened. My Jobcentre is shut because it's the weekend and the main DWP in our area's number has been engaged for over an hour. These numbers also cost a fortune to call up and I simply can't afford it. I don't have a penny to my name. My parents are on holiday next week and I'm supposed to run the house myself for a week and buy my own food and pay the gas/electricty etc plus I have a phone bill to pay and also rent money. I simply can't go without money!!!

What on earth do I do?? Why has this happened? Has this happened to anyone else??

The most likely scenario is that someone within the DWP was amending someone's claim and entered the wrong digits for a National Insurance number or misspelled the name - Mistakes do happen.

As you have already noted, the JCP will be closed until Monday as will all other departments capable of resolving the problem. Even if you had managed to speak to someone today, no funds would have been made available until Monday (the bank clearing system also shuts down over the weekend).

The only thing you can do is sit this one out and then go down to the JCP office first thing, taking along evidence of your current address (bank statement should do) and insist that the mistake is resolved there and then. If it is causing serious hardship ask that they provide alternative payment.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Yes, a processing error is the most likely explanation if you haven't actually changed address. Contact the Benefit Centre that pays your claim, and ask them to sort it and issue a same day payment to your account on Monday.

Then, once you have your money sorted, make a formal complaint about the way you were treated on the phone. I used to answer those phone lines sometimes, and if I'd spoken to a claimant like that (I never would, of course) I could expect to be in serious trouble.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Yes, a processing error is the most likely explanation if you haven't actually changed address. Contact the Benefit Centre that pays your claim, and ask them to sort it and issue a same day payment to your account on Monday.

Antone. Phantom address changes are often down to Nirs.

Last years National Insurance Records get uploaded & if an ex-employer holds an old address it can get downloaded onto CIS. This then looks like a change of address from the date Nirs was updated & benefit is suspended.

I'm not saying this has happened in this case, but as the claim is only from January, its possible.

When a claimant signs on, and if there are no other concerns raised there and then, the adviser taps something on to the computer and the issuing of the payment is thereby automatically authorised. I recall an adviser once telling me that once he authorises it then nothing can stop it.

If I sign-on on a Monday, the benefit appears in my account by ‘close of business’ on Thursday. That is four working days.

If the case is the same here then four working days would take us to ‘close of business’ on Saturday, if Saturday is considered as a working day for bank business, or Monday if it isn’t.

Do you know what time your money usually appears in your account? Is there still a chance that it might be there by ‘close of business’ today?

Antone. Phantom address changes are often down to Nirs.

Last years National Insurance Records get uploaded & if an ex-employer holds an old address it can get downloaded onto CIS. This then looks like a change of address from the date Nirs was updated & benefit is suspended.

I'm not saying this has happened in this case, but as the claim is only from January, its possible.

Of course - it's been so long I'd forgotten about Nirs. A possibility, as you say.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

When a claimant signs on, and if there are no other concerns raised there and then, the adviser taps something on to the computer and the issuing of the payment is thereby automatically authorised. I recall an adviser once telling me that once he authorises it then nothing can stop it.

If I sign-on on a Monday, the benefit appears in my account by ‘close of business’ on Thursday. That is four working days.

If the case is the same here then four working days would take us to ‘close of business’ on Saturday, if Saturday is considered as a working day for bank business, or Monday if it isn’t.

Do you know what time your money usually appears in your account? Is there still a chance that it might be there by ‘close of business’ today?

It is possible to suspend payments on a claim, and that seems to be what's happened here. If payment is suspended, entering signing evidence into the computer won't release it.

Called up yesterday and they said there was an error with their system and my payment should go in immediately. Just checked and it's still not there. By "immediately" do they mean the money will be in the account straight away or it will be "sent" to "process" immediately?