Santander 123 Credit Card Fraud

limasierra
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Early this year I asked Santander to close my 123 credit card account as I wasn't happy with the online presentation of it.

I cleared it, owed them nothing.

At the end of March I was contacted to say fraudulent activity was occurring.

Someone was using a duplicate card in Tesco's Bristol plus other online purchases.

I was angry because they hadn't closed the account as instructed. If they had then this wouldn't have happened.

I was about to leave for two weeks holiday and I told them the indemnity forms they wanted me to complete would be untouched until I returned.

Upon return I found a letter from Ian Frost Santander Fraud Dept dated 4th April apologising for the fraud and confirming that a decision had been made to refund my card. He also said a thorough investigation had taken place and that the dispute had reached a positive conclusion.

He also arranged a credit of £30 to my current account - also Santander - for the inconvenience caused.

I presumed this was the end of the matter and didn't return any indemnity forms, which looked initially identical to statements.

I'd also received a letter from Andrew Eadle, Head of Complaints Operations who assured me they would be investigating my complaint, this letter was dated 3rd April.

The account disappeared from my online webpage and I presumed that would be the end of the problem and also the 123 credit card account.

But statements still arrived the following month.....so I phoned again and sent secure online messages asking them to ensure the account had been closed.

You can imagine how angry I was last Friday 13th June, oh the irony....to open my current account statement and find that £519.45 had been taken by direct debit in respect of one of the fraudulent transactions.

So the matter hadn't been resolved and they still hadn't closed the account.

At the end of a 40 minute 0845 telephone call which involved being transferred to three different departments I ended up speaking to 'Jodie' who apologised and arranged for the money to be returned to my account straight away. Which to her credit she did.

I read her the letter from Ian Frost and demanded a further written explanation and further compensation, for the telephone call if nothing else.

She said the money had been taken from my current account because one of the indemnity forms hadn't been completed.......?!?!

She then said she would be sending me further indemnity forms to complete and a letter of explanation.

Today is Wednesday 18th June and I've had no letter, no phone call, no indemnity forms and no written confirmation that this account has finally been closed.

To make matters worse, I received a further statement today for this 123 credit card account, dated 14th June. It says my new balance is £55.01 which I must pay by 9th July 2014 and that I have £1,845.59 left to spend on my card.

This charge of £55.01 is for something the criminals purchased from Domestic Synergy Worldwide whoever they are.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I ensure Santander do not take anymore money from my account?

I tried to contact Ian Frost at Santander but he was not available.

Early this year I asked Santander to close my 123 credit card account as I wasn't happy with the online presentation of it.

I cleared it, owed them nothing.

At the end of March I was contacted to say fraudulent activity was occurring.

Someone was using a duplicate card in Tesco's Bristol plus other online purchases.

I was angry because they hadn't closed the account as instructed. If they had then this wouldn't have happened.

I was about to leave for two weeks holiday and I told them the indemnity forms they wanted me to complete would be untouched until I returned.

Upon return I found a letter from Ian Frost Santander Fraud Dept dated 4th April apologising for the fraud and confirming that a decision had been made to refund my card. He also said a thorough investigation had taken place and that the dispute had reached a positive conclusion.

He also arranged a credit of £30 to my current account - also Santander - for the inconvenience caused.

I presumed this was the end of the matter and didn't return any indemnity forms, which looked initially identical to statements.

I'd also received a letter from Andrew Eadle, Head of Complaints Operations who assured me they would be investigating my complaint, this letter was dated 3rd April.

The account disappeared from my online webpage and I presumed that would be the end of the problem and also the 123 credit card account.

But statements still arrived the following month.....so I phoned again and sent secure online messages asking them to ensure the account had been closed.

You can imagine how angry I was last Friday 13th June, oh the irony....to open my current account statement and find that £519.45 had been taken by direct debit in respect of one of the fraudulent transactions.

So the matter hadn't been resolved and they still hadn't closed the account.

At the end of a 40 minute 0845 telephone call which involved being transferred to three different departments I ended up speaking to 'Jodie' who apologised and arranged for the money to be returned to my account straight away. Which to her credit she did.

I read her the letter from Ian Frost and demanded a further written explanation and further compensation, for the telephone call if nothing else.

She said the money had been taken from my current account because one of the indemnity forms hadn't been completed.......?!?!

She then said she would be sending me further indemnity forms to complete and a letter of explanation.

Today is Wednesday 18th June and I've had no letter, no phone call, no indemnity forms and no written confirmation that this account has finally been closed.

To make matters worse, I received a further statement today for this 123 credit card account, dated 14th June. It says my new balance is £55.01 which I must pay by 9th July 2014 and that I have £1,845.59 left to spend on my card.

This charge of £55.01 is for something the criminals purchased from Domestic Synergy Worldwide whoever they are.

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I ensure Santander do not take anymore money from my account?

I tried to contact Ian Frost at Santander but he was not available.

I would raise a formal written complaint about the whole mess.

List all that has happened, dates/contacts/outcome and layout what you require Satans Bank to do to remedy the situation. TELL don't Ask.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

and get actionfraud onboard too via their website

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thankyou BRIGADIER 2JCS and dx100uk

I will be writing to Santander and also checking out actionfraud.

Unbelievably I've just had a phonecall from Keith Ruddle Santander Customer complaints Credit Card Section asking me to give the details of my Santander current a/c debit card and security code before he would give me any details as to what they propose to do. He said he had no record of any letters from Ian Frost or Andrew Eadle.

I refused to give him any details of my account.

The telephone number that he rang me on was 0800 389 0755.

It gets worse and worse.

what!!

banks NEVER ask for the card number on the back

I hope that's not what you mean you gave him?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

dx100uk

I've rung Santander Current Account complaints and they confirmed it was a genuine call.

She then said THEY DO ask customers over the phone to give their security code from the back of the card.

Shocking.

And no, I didn't give him or her the number.

I've told them I want a full written explanation for everything they've done wrong with this account.

With all the information they should be holding on this mess they shouldn't be ringing me asking for any security details.

They should be sorting the mess out and sending me a written apology.

Thankyou BRIGADIER 2JCS and dx100uk

I will be writing to Santander and also checking out actionfraud.

Unbelievably I've just had a phonecall from Keith Ruddle Santander Customer complaints Credit Card Section asking me to give the details of my Santander current a/c debit card and security code before he would give me any details as to what they propose to do. He said he had no record of any letters from Ian Frost or Andrew Eadle.

I refused to give him any details of my account.

The telephone number that he rang me on was**** 0800 389 0755.*****

Call centre default number.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Yes BRIGADIER2JCS I'm amazed.

And shocked at Santander asking for details of my current account as security questions when there's already evidence of fraud against my credit card.

There are other security details they should have asked me.

Also why was this guy ringing from the call centre default number? Surely if he was from Customer complaints calling to deal with the mess they'd made he would have had a different number?

I find this appalling.

Yes BRIGADIER2JCS I'm amazed.

And shocked at Santander asking for details of my current account as security questions when there's already evidence of fraud against my credit card.

There are other security details they should have asked me.

Also why was this guy ringing from the call centre default number? Surely if he was from Customer complaints calling to deal with the mess they'd made he would have had a different number?

I find this appalling.

I talked to a relative of mine last night (a very senior bank officer) he says that some time banks will ask what type of accounts you hols with then e.g. current/current with OD/savings But will not ask by telephone for account Nos. and security codes.

The data may be asked for if you are using the banks secure online banking system.

I personally would be making a formal complaint to Satan's bank asap.

Thanks for your help BRIGADIER, I've been talking to actionfraud this morning and will be taking this further, they think this behaviour is strange too. I have been given a reference number for my report.

Thanks for your help BRIGADIER, I've been talking to actionfraud this morning and will be taking this further, they think this behaviour is strange too. I have been given a reference number for my report.

Excellent!!

Should you have any similar call if can record them if not take down the date and time and a verbatim record of the call.

This is a very strange way for a bank to behave (if it was the bank).

Indeed it is a strange way for a bank to behave, I can't understand why the number displayed on my phone turns out to be a genuine Santander number.......

I'm paying a visit to my local branch this morning with all the documents and also reporting this to the Financial Conduct Authority and also the Financial Ombudsman.

I have to say I found the guy's behaviour strange yesterday, didn't have any letters to hand, couldn't find a senior advisor etc etc. Yet Santander current A/c's checked him out and said it was a 'genuine' call.....

Badly trained staff are a trade mark of Santander I'm afraid, having had experience of the as chair of a charity talking to their call centre was a nightmare conversations such

"what go you want me to do about it mate" in reference to a serious foul up in their account management made me remove all the accounts from them.

I'm closing my current account with them now, am angry that they have precious little professionalism and as you say, they are very badly trained.

I don't trust them not to take more money from me.

I'm closing my current account with them now, am angry that they have precious little professionalism and as you say, they are very badly trained.

I don't trust them not to take more money from me.

Get a new account asap and tell Satan's bank exactly why you done so.

Yes I will. Also have contacted the Financial Conduct Authority on the advice of Actionfraud and they are submitting a report.

The FCA have given me a reference number and details of who to report to at Santander.

Am relieved that this is being taken very seriously.

Yes I will. Also have contacted the Financial Conduct Authority on the advice of Actionfraud and they are submitting a report.

The FCA have given me a reference number and details of who to report to at Santander.

Am relieved that this is being taken very seriously.

That's good news, please keep us up to date on what happens!

well done

dx

and they

• 4 weeks later...

The update on the above isn't at all good I'm afraid.

My formal letter of complaint that the FCA advised me to send to Patrick Keating at Santander Triton Square London was received and signed for on 2nd July.

The FCA gave me a reference number for their own report.

As of today 16th July I've had no acknowledgement from Santander

so I telephoned on 0845 600 6014 to enquire as to what's happening.

Nobody seemed to know what was happening as that number just connects with an office that doesn't deal with credit card complaints.

I asked them to call me back when they'd found whoever is dealing with my complaint.

I've just had a phonecall from Cathy at Santander who now has my letter plus enclosures

and she's promised to call me back tomorrow morning which is convenient for both of us and discuss what's happening with it.

So that's what happens when you make a formal written letter of complaint to Santander with an FCA reference number.

Nothing for two weeks and you have to ring back and make a fuss.

Also the FCA were very reluctant to tell me what was happening,

only telling me Santander have eight weeks to reply to me with a resolution,

then to take it to the Ombudsman if I'm not happy.

The officer told me the FCA officer who deals with Santander has 'made them aware of my complaint'.

I told him I knew the FCA don't take up individual complaints but as I'd been given a reference number

I naturally thought I would have been able to know that some form of action was being taken.

He really didn't want to stray from a set way of talking, all very 'general' and nothing specific to me.

Ludicrous. Just sounded as if they were nervous of admitting to anything.

Will update you after tomorrow's phonecall.....

• 1 month later...

You just couldn't make this up......

Since last posting,

I've had further compensation from Santander for wrongly taking money from my Santander123 current A/C

to cover fraudulent transactions committed against my supposedly closed 123 credit card A/C.

As I was still receiving letters asking me to confirm these transactions were nothing to do with me

after the apologies and compensation

I rang Kathy Hopkins Santander's Complaints Resolutions Officer to let her know it was still not closed.

She confirmed in writing that it WAS closed and that I wouldn't hear anymore about it.

She also said......

... 'For some reason they had to issue another card to ensure the closure of the account'..

...This card had a different number.

I received yet more forms relating to the original supposedly closed account asking me to confirm these transactions were not made by me.

I phoned Kathy Hopkins again to complain that this matter had still not been resolved.

A nightmare.

They'd already helped themselves to £585 odd from my current account and had to replace it PDQ and I could see it was about to happen again.

Kathy Hopkins by now had adopted an intolerant attitude towards me

as she must have known this thing was beyond her capacity to deal with.

Much easier to try and convince the customer they're paranoid.

TODAY:

A letter arrives dated 8th September stating that as the credit card concerned is now closed

they intend taking £585.57 from my Santander Current A/C to cover the fraudulent transactions in 14 days time.

I phoned at 4.45pm tonight after opening the letter and rang Kathy Hopkins.

She's not there but someone else takes the details and says he'll call me back by 12pm tomorrow.

I told him I'm closing the current A/C which I've held since 1980 when it was originally Giro.

That way they won't be able to get hold of the money.

A lot of inconvenience changing to Nationwaide but what else can I do?

This has even been supposedly dealt with by the FCA.

What a joke, or it would be if it wasn't so serious.

Take this to a Formal Complaint to the CEO of Satans Bank

ignore customer (dis) service,complaints people with no authority other than the "company script" which is based on "computer says NO" attitude.

Don't let Satans get away with it.

Thanks Brigadier but I've done that already. Back in June. Two weeks later and they had no trace of it despite a signed for delivery.

I'd like to get this printed in something like the Daily Mail or BBC's Consumer Watchdog, if anyone knows the contact details I'd be very grateful.