50-50 insurance claim but not at fault

paul4lena
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2813 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Caggers,

My wife was recently in a car accident. Fortunately no-one was hurt but we`re now in a situation where the other party is denying fault and we`ve been stuck with having to pay the excess of £75.

The accident happened down a single lane country road. My wife saw the other car approaching a came to a halt. However, the other driver had the sun in their eyes and was distracted, pulling the sun-visor down on the passenger-side for their child. The other driver failed to notice my wife`s stationary car and, although tried to brake, hit the side/front of the car causing damage to the bumper/wing/bonnet.

The other driver got out and apologised to my wife, they swapped details, and both went on their way.

Later that day I phoned the drivers partner, to start the insurance process rolling, who offered to pay for the damage by going through their recommended garage. I wouldn`t have been happy to do this anyway, but my hand was forced as our car is leased meaning we have to go through the authorised repair procedure/garages etc.

All repairs have been done but we had to pay £75 excess which I was expecting to be able to reclaim.

I`ve just spoken to the insurance company and they`re claiming that the other party is denying responsibility for the accident, and as the accident was on a single-track road, they`re going to go 50/50 meaning we`ll not be able to claim the excess back.

As you can imagine I`m rather annoyed.

I`m hoping that this is just a tactic that insurance companies try to save costs rather that the other party being dishonest and lying about the events. Obviously I`m disputing this.

Could anyone advise me on the best course of action to take please so that I can have a better chance of getting the £75 back.

Many thanks,

Paul4Lena

• 2 years later...