Faulty PC but they are asking me to....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I brought a PC about 6 months ago.

It has never been stable so

I finally got in touch with them and now we are currently in the middle of sorting the problems out

with me fixing and testing what they can't do remotely.

We have found out that its the Overclock they did to it in the factory that is the problem.

I paid for that overclock as it was closer to the spec I wanted.

The next step will be to turn the overclock down so its more stable but that's not what I paid for and it is not the spec I wanted.

To be fair, we haven't done that yet so I can't say for certain what results we will get.

If we can't get close to the spec I chose and paid for, am I within my rights to send it back to them?

I'm not necessarily after a refund.

What I'd like is for them to replace the appropriate parts.

Thanks

Ben

Certainly if you don't get the results you paid for then you should be compensated for that. But was the overclock actually part of the spec, or were any results or performance figures guaranteed?

My amateur understanding is that overclocking revs hardware like graphics cards beyond their normal factory settings, with the benefit of increased performance against the risk of the component producing too much heat and not lasting as long. I could be totally wrong but from looking around at high performance PCs it looks like overclock is not usually part of the specs. The specs are the components in your PC. You are sometimes offered an overclock service but the retailers I am looking at don't seem to guarantee the results.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I can speak from experience on this one. ^__^

OVerclocking is very very risky and can turn a very expensive PC in to a very expensive paperweight... Trust me, had to replace my Asus ROG Motherboard and expensive processor ^__^

Check the invoice they have sent you and see if there is an entry for overclocking adjustments etc. Who is the provider of the PC?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Many sites offering customised pc builds, such as the aptly named overclockers, now offer you the option to pay extra and they will overclock the machine for you. Basically, the Overcock becomes a part of your standard order. In my opinion that means that you have every expectation to believe that the Overclock will be stable. If it's not stable, and the only way to get your PC working correctly is to remove the overclock you paid extra for, then in my opinion you would within your rights to return the PC for a full refund, since they have essentially tried to give you a lesser product.

Agree with that. Those that offer overclocking should have the experience and professionalism to be aware of any chip that isn't suitable for overclocking or the max the overclock shouldn't exceed.