PRA "unable to send any contact by post until I confirm details by telephone"

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3598 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Portfolio Recovery Associates contact me by telephone every few days.

Most days it's an abandoned call with up to 45 seconds of silence before the recorded message kicks in (that's been reported to OFCOM)

but today I spoke to an actual person, something that happens maybe once a week.

Every time I talk to someone there, I do the usual refusal to go through the security questions and advise them to put it in writing.

I have as yet, received nothing in the post from them.

I asked the caller to have a look at my file on her screen and tell me how many times they've written to me.

Once, was the answer, in March. I didn't receive this.

I asked why they hadn't written since, when I had asked every operator I spoke to to put it in writing.

She claimed that they are unable to send me any contact by post until I confirm my address, postcode and date of birth by telephone.

I asked her to confirm that this is correct and reminded her that, according to her,

the call was being recorded for training and monitoring purposes.

She got quite flustered but repeated that they are unable to do this.

This can't be right surely?

No No No!!!! Stay off the phone... !

PRA are Mac Hall's Daddy... Wait for something with more substance to turn up then hit them with a CCA Request if they contact you.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

If it were me I would not be conversing with these people on the phone at all.

I would wait until something actually does turn up in writing.

Do you actually know what this is all about?

Gosh, they sound like propper retards!

That they very much are and IMS is right! PRA are attempting to cash cow you. However what is this debt about.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Why aren't you recording your own calls? - You aren't, are you.

Don't worry, they aren't getting anything out of me. If it's what I think it is, it's statute barred anyway and isn't on my credit file. If it isn't what I think it is, then they're not getting any reply until something turns up in the post. I'm certainly not going to answer the security questions.

I don't have the facility to record my calls, what I said to her was more to rattle her than anything else. It worked :-)

What a load of rubbish.. they cant write to you until they confirm your address etc ? I would have though that was the same for telephone harrassment.

There is a letter in the CAG library, linked below.. you have told them you will only communicate in writing and will not discuss your financial affairs on the phone. They are now obliged to respect your wishes. In the link I have given you there is a recent court case where the bank disregarded the "in writing only" request to their disadvantage, they were taken to court and the Judge was not happy and awarded the victim a nice compensation sum.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387367-Harassment-by-Telephone-(update-21.04.2014)

Post# 3 is the letter you require I would say.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Unless there's something you haven't told us, it looks to me like they don't have your address. Don't take that woman's word for it that they've written once.

I would not offer my address on a plate to the likes of PRA. I'd keep shtum unless certain that they already have it.

Sounds very dodgy

I would be telling them that they have the wrong number, ** edited out misguided advice **.

How can they decide that the phone number they have is correct but everything else needs to be confirmed?

Edited by Conniff

another method to put them off it to just place the telephone in front of the radio or television and get on with something useful like the ironing or cleaning your gun. You could tell them you are going to put them on hold whilst you clean your guns and they will certainly think twice about sending anyone round.

Well just told them where to go....PRA are part of the mucky hall group, and are based in Scotland, i have just got their address so that i can send a complain and details to OFCOM.

I have also told them that any more calls will be amounted to telephone harassment...their response we will keep phoning....until we go through data protection, i told them to write they say the have sent letters to my house number, they then tried to get me to confirm so i told em where to get off.