Shown a flat to rent, went to move in and it was a different flat in a different building

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3596 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Me and 2 of my friends viewed a flat in London we liked it enough to take it off the market and then paid the full deposit and first months rent. Then when we went to move in (after signing the contract) there was no one to check us in or do an inventory check then when we finally got the keys we discovered that the flat they had 'given' us was in a different building, much smaller and worse condition than the one we viewed.

We tried to speak to the agents but they denied ever being in the property we viewed and refused to show up at their office on the day.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to resolve this issue because we don't want to live in the property they provided as it is nothing like the one we viewed in the first place!

We also have photos of both properties one with the agent themselves standing in the one we viewed. The estate agents we used are quite a large chain so they can't disappear over night or anything like that.

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

Hello,

Me and 2 of my friends viewed a flat in London we liked it enough to take it off the market and then paid the full deposit and first months rent. Then when we went to move in (after signing the contract) there was no one to check us in or do an inventory check then when we finally got the keys we discovered that the flat they had 'given' us was in a different building, much smaller and worse condition than the one we viewed.

We tried to speak to the agents but they denied ever being in the property we viewed and refused to show up at their office on the day.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to resolve this issue because we don't want to live in the property they provided as it is nothing like the one we viewed in the first place!

We also have photos of both properties one with the agent themselves standing in the one we viewed. The estate agents we used are quite a large chain so they can't disappear over night or anything like that.

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

Was the address on the contract (lease) the address of the flat you were shown or the one you were given?.

If it was for the one you were given and not the one you were shown - why did you sign it?.

So the flat we were shown and were given are part of the same complex but different buildings. We were led to believe we were viewing a flat in block D but we were actually viewing a flat in block A, we signed the contract for the block D flat under the impression that it was the flat in block A, both flats were number 12. I can only think that the estate agent has made an error and doesn't realise her mistake.

Thanks for you quick response,

Jacob

What is the name of the agents, please? Can you post the photos up

Thanks

does sound like an error, and they should sort it out quickly.

you will no doubt have expense's as well which they should compensate you for.

Make sure you put this in writing to them and ask for your expenses, or you seek court action.

this is a common [problem], the more usual one is the flat isnt for rent by the person you are dealing with in the first place. read very carefully what you have agreed to and then see who actually owns the property in case you end up in a big mess.