wedding car hire cancellation help.. what are my rights?

Sinth
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3572 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Need some help. a cousin of mine made a car hire booking over the phone and a deposit was taken ( balance cash on the day).

now he has cancelled before the function and the rental company is threatening to take full payment and fight over the balance in court. no signing of contract has taken place. is the car hire firm well within their rights to do this?

thx

Time is crucial, as depends on how much notice was given! and whats in their T&C; Distance regs do NOT apply to vehicle hire.

Get cousin to cancel card that deposit was taken from before they take balance and you have to fight to get it back.

Hi Sinth

I don't think you cousin can do much about it, it's a verbal contract, a deposit has been paid to form the contract. How much was it? Shame that you can't find some one else to take up the booking. It's also a shame that they are not sympathetic, no future business for them, maybe bad press might get them to budge, says a lot when companies need to threaten consumers.

A verbal agreement is a contract and the paying of the deposit proves that the contract exists.

The car hire company will be unable to get equivalent work at such short notice so they are entitled to make good their losses. I would be arguing that they should have less money because they have not had to spend money on fuel and valeting but ultimately they could just send the car round and charge you as that is what they were obliged to do.

Try being nice and see what they will do to mitigate the loss.