• Tweets

• I thought you said that the order asked for you to submit a re-drafted defence and counterclaim?  Isn't that order just asking you to re-draft your counterclaim only, and for the claimant to draft a defence to your counterclaim?   Is the order only asking for a re-drafted counterclaim from you?   (I'm going out now for the rest of the afternoon... )
    • Sorry, Is it possible to ask the court for an extension? I see that I still need to do more on this, i.e supporting the claim
    • And if anybody thinks it's worth the effort I can go through that and make it clearer to read by taking out the strike throughs and the coloured formats so that it reads as intended and is less confusing.  That would be later today or tomorrow am.   I might also add something like "For the reasons above - ie that the work carried out by the claimant was unsatisfactory and incomplete and because of monies already paid to the claimant - the defendant denies the claim.  Furthermore, the defendant seeks to counterclaim against the claimant for damage caused to the defnedant's property by the claimant"   I'm not suggesting anything I've put forward is perfect or necessarily better that FTMDave's suggestion.  But perhaps it will serve as a backup if nothing better turns up?
    • Ok here is the preview please let me know if it looks good or need changing for security i remove my details and address     IN THE COUNTY COURT SHEFFIELD     CLAIM NO:   BETWEEN    HX PARKING LTD (CLAIMANT)   And                                 (DEFENDANT)   CONSENT ORDER   Upon the Parties having consented and agreed to the judgement set aside.   IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT   - The judgement dated 9th of June 2021 be set aside. --------------------------------------------------------------   HX Parking LTD 161 Preston Road, Lytham St Annes FY8 5AY                              
    • I agree with all that.   Can I just add that I've gone through the defence again and tried to make a bit more sense of it - and perhaps try to address or skip over some of the questions asked by FTMDave.   Can I make clear I am not criticising what FTMDave has already done - I think that was a great job.  It's just that I have found the OP's explanations still very unclear and difficult to understand so I've tried to make more sense of it.  If what I've done is just making the whole thing more complicated and confusing then by all means ignore it.   Bits I suggest deleting altogether are struck through.  eg this   Bits in red are my suggestions/improvements.  (Or maybe they make things worse!)   Bits in blue and bold are my questions.   Whether this is really an improvement or not I don't know.  Feel free to ignore...   ===============================================================================   1.      In this Defence:   a.       References to the paragraph numbers are in reference to the paragraphs in the Particulars of Claim issued on 25/02/2021.   b.      A matter that is not admitted is a matter which the defendant is unable to admit or deny and requires the claimant to prove.   c.       The defendant adopts where appropriate the abbreviations and terms in the Particulars of Claim for convenience only and without making any admissions thereby.   2.      The defendant admits paragraph 3.1 of the claimants claim.   3.      The defendant denies paragraph 3.2 of the claimant's claim. The true agreement between the parties involved the defendant and claimant agreeing that the claimant would undertake building work (Project 1) at the defendant’s property in relation to 3 specific areas. These were; and named Project 1   a. To underpin the bay window at the property, b. To repair a previously-removed chimney breast and, c. To install a new beam to the patio door.   4.      During the process of the contract agreement above   Subsequently the claimant was also engaged on further work to do the attached on 07/09/2020 for a total amount of £2,580.00 called (Project 2).   5.      In relation to the installation of a new beam and the above this work was agreed between the parties  It was agreed between the claimant and the defendant that Project 1 was to be carried out under the instructions of a structural engineer engaged by the defendant. It was agreed between the parties that the claimant's work would be as a result of instructions received following the structural engineer's assessment of the property.   6.      Between June and July 2020 the defendant provided the claimant with a full copy of the structural engineer's report which detailed instructions to the claimant for the works to be carried out.   7.      It was agreed between the parties that the works would commence on 13/08/2020.   8.      It was agreed between the parties that the total sum for the completion of all the claimant's work regarding Project 1 would be £4300 called project 1.   9.      It was agreed between the parties that the claimant’s fees for the work would be paid through three instalment payments. The first payment would be made at the start of the claimant's work. The second payment would be paid at the halfway point of the claimant's work. The final payment would be made on completion of the total works. As such three payments were to be made each of £1433.33.   10.   The builder arrived at arrived at work at 2pm on 13/08/2020 when a contract agreement was drawn up. A cheque for the first payment was issued on the day and he worked for two hours.   11.   On 24/08/2020 the builder approached me to book an appointment with the building inspector to inspect his work as the work was approaching midway and he would need the mid-way agreement money, I obliged and a second cheque was issued. He had carried out about 25 hours of work time in the property, attached is my diary of his work. The appointment was confirmed with the building inspector and builder the informed.   12.  The building inspector showed up and but the builder, having promised to be there, was absent.  The inspector walked around inspecting inspected the builder’s work and making comments in anger was obviously displeased by the standard of work.  I called the builder and pass the phone to the building inspector.  All I heard from the inspector was “Do you know what you are doing", repeatedly, “why are you not here you knew I was coming?” followed by describing the mode of doing the work to him. After the conversation with the builder he then asked me for a piece of paper and he started to explain the process which might be useful to the builder when he came.  The inspector spoke to the builder by telephone, asking him why he was absent and questioning him about the work he had done.  The inspector then gave him some instructions over the telephone also and left a list of instructions with the defendant to be passed on to the builder.  The building inspector then said he would be getting in touch with the structural engineer with his findings and the defendant should hear from the engineer soon.   13.   The builder came late that afternoon and I handed him the paperwork given by the building inspector and the builder assured me he would sort it out, that he now had an idea how to go about it, to which I said the inspector would communicate with the structural engineer who would be contacting us so he should wait and he agreed.   14.  The structural engineer visited and recommended piling to complete the underpinning.  The builder then said that he did not have the appropriate tools for piling.  It was suggested to him that tools could be hired, but he did not respond. “But you can hire them most people do.” There was no answer. The structural engineer then introduced another tradesman who was able to do it for £3,000.00 and I paid the that tradesman to do the piling.   15.    The defendant explained to the claimant that that £3000 would have to be deducted from the agreed price for Project 1 as that work had originally been agreed in that project.  I then turned to my builder after payment that you are now £3,000.00 in deficit but we will sort this out after the rest of the work is complete.  [Is all of that true?  I don’t know.  Is there evidence it was included in Project 1?]   16.  On 02/09/2020 he the claimant asked for more work to cover his losses having paid lost the £3,000.00 for underpinning to another tradesman.  I agreed and I asked him to price the job. His quotes were outrageous.  Little did he know that I had had quotes from other people and the internet.  e.g. he quoted me £1800.00 to plaster three rooms as against another plasterer who quoted £850.00. When I showed him the plasterer's quote, he was not shocked, I told him that, because he was on site I would pay him £900.00 final and he accepted. See attached builder quote for Project 2.  [I think that is all waffle and I don’t understand it]   16.  The claimant asked if the defendant needed any more work to be done and, despite the problems encountered on Project1, the defendant agreed on 7 September 2020 to have more work done (Project 2) at an agreed price of £2580.   17.   For this reasons the builder was able to obtain a second contract from me for the amount of £2,580.00 signed on 07/09/2020 which I called Project 2, being, I believe the only way I could compromise the £3,000.00 paid to the tradesman. Again the contract agreement was identical to the initial contract for £4,300.00 (Project 1).   [I don’t understand this paragraph.  Delete it?]   18 17.  Both the initial project 1 and project 2 started to go badly and I made several complaints to him, e.g. bad pointing.  His response was all it needed was a good wash down and this bad pointing remains so to date not washed.  As work commenced on Project 2 and continued on the remaining work for Project 1, the defendant had occasion to make several complaints to the claimant regarding the standard of work   19.  18.  Around 15/09/2020 barely a week the builder had got the project 2 job, he was trying to ask for money for project 2.  Barely a week after starting on Project 2, the claimant demanded payment.  After a period of negotiation I agreed to pay him £2000.00 on 18/09/2020.    20.  On 18/09/2020 I handed a cheque for £2,000.00 to the builder.  He insisted on payment in cash even though my previous two payments had been by cheque.  I was only able to withdraw £1500.00 which I paid him.  The atmosphere was extremely hostile and under a steam of pressure I mistakenly wrote that the contract was agreed as £2,800.00 instead of £2,580.00.  However, balance at completion was correctly indicated at £1080.00.   [Way too complicated to follow.  Delete?]    19.  I paid the claimant £1500 in cash.  We agreed that this left a balance outstanding on Project 2 of £1080.   21.  We both signed the contract.  The builder left.  Later we saw the builder and his colleague on my CCTV camera walking away with my steel beam that had come off lintel. When I rang him and told that I had seen him on CCTV he admitted what he had done. I have now included the cost of the pair of the steel beam in my schedule of loss.  He charged me for work during which he stole my material to do the work without refunding the material used. This was the beginning of my dissatisfaction with the builder.   20.  It came to the defendant’s attention that the claimant had removed material (including a steel beam) from the defendant’s property that the defendant is clear either belonged to the defendant or had been paid for by the defendant in connection with Project 1.  When challenged the claimant admitted he had done this.  The defendant has included the value of this material in his counterclaim detailed below.   22.  21.  On 21/09/2020 I highlighted and sent a snagging list to the builder.  On 26/10/2020, he sent somebody to my house to clean up plaster damage to the wall and to the living room laminated flooring almost four weeks since he had last worked on the house.  The person he sent made a mess of the job.  I then updated the snagging list and gave a copy to his colleague who was doing the cleaning to give to him and emailed him a copy and sent copies by post to his address.  Over a month later he sent an employee to attend to this work.  It was not carried out satisfactorily and resulted in an updated snagging list being sent to the claimant   23.  22.  The next contact with the builder was on 12/01/2020 when I saw a note on the door demanding  he demanded 2,800.00. to which I immediately responded in my letter dated 17/01/2021 for asking him to explain how I owed the that amount as all that had been agreed as outstanding on Project 2 was £1080. so that I can deal with his claim. As I had no response from him on 05/02/2021 I sent him a recorded delivery pre-action notice.   24.  23.  The claimant builder then acknowledged my pre-action notice by sending me notice to pay pay £2,866 by 26/02/2021 otherwise he would take me to court. I therefore waited for his court claim to defend and counterclaim.   25.  The builder's court notice arrived and this was the beginning of assessing the cost of the damage and uncompleted work by the builder, by inviting tradesmen to come to the property to assess and give me quotes. More information was also sorted from the internet. Where I am not able to get accurate information or tradesmen to give me a quote I have left it as blank or TBA (to be assessed) on my schedule of loss, attached to this statement.  [Is this relevant here  Delete]   24.  For the above reasons the defendant denies the claimant’s claim and seeks to make the counterclaim detailed below.   [Does that seem right?  I don’t know?]
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

Sparky's Lass Vs Abbey

sparkydawg

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5334 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haha 1

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

have you received your copy of Abbey's AQ yet?

I've not handed mine in yet must get it sorted this week

Nat West Settled 2 acct's before action:

£2194.77 settled £1904.00 08/01/2007 less interest

£650.93 Settled overpaid GOGW £850.00 02/01/2007

Applied Abbey statements -40 day up 24/04/06(arrived 30/06/06)

Prem 04/01/2007 - reply rcvd 22nd Jan advising not paying

LBA 22/01/07

14/02/07 N1 filed @ local court

21/02/07 issued claim

23/02/07 deemed served

25/02/07 Abbey acknowledgement defend in full.

19/03/07 defence + 50% GOGW

13/04/07 AQ final day for submission

30/04/07 DEFENCE STRUCK OUT "ABUSE OF PROCESS"

01/05/07 Judgement order

8/05/07 Warrant of Execution requested

Media coverage :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6701231.stm

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/News/Article.aspx?articleID=4505

If you find my post helpfull then please click my scales:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi just wondering if you have heard anything since filing your AQ, mine went in today

LBA 22/01/07

21/02/07 issued claim

23/02/07 deemed served

01/05/07 Judgement order

Quick question before i hand AQ in.

If we do in fact have to goto court. As this claim is for my girlfriend do i have to let them know i want to be doing the explaing or just be there as i understand it all (well more than she does!!.LOL"

Cheers

Come on sparky, it's been a month since you handed in your AQ and nothing's happened. Are you sure you filled it in properly, or did you hand it in to the right place?? Let us know!!

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

Sorry guys not been on for a while.

I have not heard anything from the court yet and am still just waiting for the courts directions. Think its time i gave them a phone and find out whats going on. Will call them tomorrow as at work now and find out the crack.

Cheers

Well after my last post i got home and lying on the floor amongst the letters was a court date. Seams the standard directions. Court bundle for everyone 14 days b4 hearing which is the beginning of June. I get bundle sorted this week and see what abbey have!

Well after my last post i got home and lying on the floor amongst the letters was a court date. Seams the standard directions. Court bundle for everyone 14 days b4 hearing which is the beginning of June. I get bundle sorted this week and see what abbey have!

Getting close now.....................!!

Hey its court time. Here is the notice i received:

District judge has considered statements of case ans aq's filed and allocated to the small claims track.

The hearing should take no longer than 15 minutes.

Each party shall deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all documents (including any expert's report) on which he intends to rely at the hearing no later then 14 days before the hearing.

The original documents shall be brought to the hearing.

Question?

Is this the point i compile my bundle. Each party shall deliver to every other party and to the court office copies of all documents (including any expert's report) on which he intends to rely at the hearing no later then 14 days before the hearing.

Yep this is your court bundle. I am at the same stage (court 23rd May) so am about to start preparing mine.

2 Accounts with statements back to Feb 04 = £802 in charges

S.A.R received by Abbey 22.09.06 .......start the clock!:D

9.10.06 received letter from Pam Speed 'information to follow'

12.10.06 received last 14 months of altered statements :rolleyes:

01.11.06 LBA sent to Abbey for statements

10.11.06 received statements back to 2000 - on one account:|

15.11.06 2nd LBA sent for outstanding information

26.11.06 Outstanding info arrives

30.11.06 Prelim for £1089 received by Abbey

06.12.06 Sorry you are unhappy letter received

21.12.06 Sent LBA giving 14 days before court action

22.12.06 Received GOGW for £375

• 2 weeks later...

Thought it appropriate to post my 100th post in my thread. Court bundle completed and sending to Abbey tomorrow. Court one almost in order "need to number pages and attach front cover" then i will be hand delivering this. Get Abbeys to them 1st to give them that bit more time to prepare theirs.lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sparky..........sounds good :)

Sounds like pay day soon ;)

I don't know if you have seen this? sorry if you have but if not its worth reading as this seems to be the latest Abbey tactic

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91420-your-bank-quoting-lloyds.html

LBA 22/01/07

21/02/07 issued claim

23/02/07 deemed served

01/05/07 Judgement order

Hi sparky,

Time to get you're negotiating hat on, it'll soon be showtime!!:)

Yeah i had a read through that MJ and its rather unfortunate for the bloke but us Abbey ppl should be fine. Have talied up what we due to date so as soon as they get in touch we will have the full figure ready! And no less!!!!!!!

Quick one,

I got charges from RBS this month because i went over my overdraft by £1.05. Phoned my local branch, spoke to customer services and got them to refund the £28 charge and cancel next months charge that has been caused by this months charge. Was informed it was a "AUTOMATED" system and as it was only £1 over they would sort it. Come on Abbey give our Lass her money back like the good people at RBS.

So much for the manual intervention then lol

:madgrin:

not long now to got now for you like you said hang in there and watch the interest grow :D

LBA 22/01/07

21/02/07 issued claim

23/02/07 deemed served

01/05/07 Judgement order

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hey Hey. We have won. Abbey had put a cheque into my girlfriends account on the 11th May but we dont usually check it. I asked her to check and there it was £2600. Went to the bank on Wednesday and withdrew the lot. Unfortunately they wouldnt let her close her account because there is an issue on it???. Anyhoo thats that done and dusted. Has been a long ride with a happy ending.

Thanks

Very well done Sparky - huge congrats!!!!!!!

Gives us all confidence that they are still paying out.

All the very best - Adam

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

Great news well done

LBA 22/01/07

21/02/07 issued claim

23/02/07 deemed served

01/05/07 Judgement order