style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2907 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today, I've received a count summons from the council...

Background... I get paid on the 6th of the month, I have over the years called the council and asked to setup a direct debit for the 6th (i.e. pay day). They have refused and said the payment due date is the 1st of the month.

Each month (for years now), I make a manual electronic payment on or after the 6th of the month.

In this case (last month) I got the amount slightly wrong and was £20 in arrears. I did receive a notification letter from them, but thought I'll just add the £20 owed onto the amount next month.

I made the full payment on Monday (yesterday), so no outstanding balance on the account. The summons was also dated yesterday.

The Council has caused this problem by being really inflexible and not accepting my direct debit payment on the 6th of the month.

I'm a little stressed by this all to be honest. Just wanted a view point on what I should do ? any advise ? Where do I stand with it ? I cannot afford to pay the full amount due, but have no problem paying the monthly dues.

Thanks.

Just phone them up, and try to reason with them explaining that you really believe that they should withdraw the summons because you have no outstanding amount to pay. Try that first, you have nothing to lose, and just take it from there..

Thanks for the quick reply, but it did make me chuckle :) 'try to reason with them', this is the Council were talking about. Please excuse my cynicism of the council.

Thanks for the quick reply, but it did make me chuckle :) 'try to reason with them', this is the Council were talking about. Please excuse my cynicism of the council.

Went to court my self yesterday over council tax and got it adjourned, I questioned there costs and told them I would question it in the court, not sure that's why they adjourned but it made me think. The reasoning behind trying to reason with them is if they don't take up your offer, they then have no excuse when you declare war. lol..

Council tax is payable on the first of the month unless you pay by direct debit and then you have a choice of dates - 1st - 10th - 15th - 25th.

Also if you are paying in 10 monthly instalments, your council must allow you to pay in 12 monthly instalments if asked.

Went to court my self yesterday over council tax and got it adjourned, I questioned there costs and told them I would question it in the court, not sure that's why they adjourned but it made me think.

I am hearing so many more cases such as yours where this is happening.

It does indeed seem that some courts are concerned at the level of cases where debtors are now questioning the summons costs that are being applied. Was your case concerning council tax for this current year (2014-15)) ?

I am hearing so many more cases such as yours where this is happening.

It does indeed seem that some courts are concerned at the level of cases where debtors are now questioning the summons costs that are being applied. Was your case concerning council tax for this current year (2014-15)) ?

I never got to see the court, it was just something the council was happy to do but only after I indicated my displeasure at the court costs which were added to two periods of alleged council tax amounts. 2012 to 2013 and 2013 to 2014..