style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3566 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

My landlord has informed me that Npower will be attending some time next week to fit a prepayment meter.

However, where the current meter is, I have no access to. I live in a farmhouse ajacent to a farm and the meter is in a buildiing on the actual farm (which doesnt belong to me) which is on private ground an has a gate with a lock on it.

How am I supposed to access it to put credit on it? Are they allowed to do this?

Can I request that the meter be moved to the house?

Thanks.

Hello,

My landlord has informed me that Npower will be attending some time next week to fit a prepayment meter.

However, where the current meter is, I have no access to. I live in a farmhouse ajacent to a farm and the meter is in a buildiing on the actual farm (which doesnt belong to me) which is on private ground an has a gate with a lock on it.

How am I supposed to access it to put credit on it? Are they allowed to do this?

Can I request that the meter be moved to the house?

Thanks.

This sounds fishy to me. Who else is going to be using the electric running through that pre payment meter

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

This sounds fishy to me. Who else is going to be using the electric running through that pre payment meter

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

No-one, just us. There are 2 meters in an outbuilding on the farm. One is for our house and the other is to the farm. Its just the one to our house that he wants to change.

nat,

I would ask to see the "Contract" from the new supplier and check how much per unit is being charged !!!

I used to have industrial units for business use and the Landlord was making on every unit I used.

I should also point out that they are in the process of evicting us. Would this be classed as harrasment, as they woukld, in effect, be withdrawing electricity services if we are unable to top it up.

We are being evicted as it is the end of the AST and the landlord wants to rent it out for considerably more than what we are curently paying.

Your point about "access" is very valid.

What would happen if you say broke a leg (please don't).

Then what ??

I'm wondering if your thread might be better answered in the "Residential Lettings" forum ??

See what the Site Team think.

How are you currently paying for your electricity? i.e. who sends you bills - the landlord or the power company?

Could you contact the power company and say that you are taking over responsibility? For normal residential properties, the householder has that right. I don't see why it would be different for you if you are the only person receiving electricity from that supply. But farm properties may be different.

If you are in a separate dwelling then that should ideally be metered at the property!

If the LL invoiced you separately, did he give you the meter readings and rates? and did you check the meter readings? ( I would not be happy with this arrangement ).

unless the rent is inclusive of utilities ( fixed amount each month ).

What is actually in the contract?

There is a maximum resell rate for electricity.

In the proposal to install the meter have you discussed access?

with regard to the eviction, how far has it got, have you been served a S21 notice of repossession with the two months notice?

He can only evict with a court order!

Did you pay a deposit and was it protected?

Do you pay council tax? and on the electoral register?

How is water rates paid? or is it inclusive?

I am going to contact Npower now to tell them i am taking over responsibility.

I was always invoiced seperatley for the electric. I have never questioned the readings as I cannot access the meter, as i said before, it is on the farm and the gate is always locked. I have now asked to see the last 3 years bills from the electricity company though.

There is nothing in the contract that states I have to pay the electric to the landlord, it just states rent is exclusive of all utilities and that it is my responsibility to pay them.

I also pay my water rates direct to him. he sends a contractor round every quarter to read the water meter an then bills me.

S21 was correctly served 2 months ago and ran out on 4th June.

If you are in a separate dwelling then that should ideally be metered at the property!

If the LL invoiced you separately, did he give you the meter readings and rates? Yes and did you check the meter readings?No, didnt have access ( I would not be happy with this arrangement ).

unless the rent is inclusive of utilities ( fixed amount each month ). No, it states we are responsible for paying and informing electricity company

What is actually in the contract? As above

There is a maximum resell rate for electricity.

In the proposal to install the meter have you discussed access? No discussins have taken place. just a letter through the door. he is ignoring my emails.

with regard to the eviction, how far has it got, have you been served a S21 notice of repossession with the two months notice? Yes, correctly served, ran out on 4th June. S8 Also served, ran out on 11th June.

He can only evict with a court order!

Did you pay a deposit and was it protected? Yes and yes

Do you pay council tax? and on the electoral register? Yes and yes

How is water rates paid? or is it inclusive? Direct to landlord

I think they are going down the section 8 route, so are we able to counterclaim for the electricity and water charges to be paid back, as there has never been a contract between me and the landlord?

The agreement also states that the landlord is responsible for emptying the cess pit, but he has never done so, we have paid for it each year. Does this mean he breached the contract before we did? can we claim this money back do you think?

I should also point out that they are in the process of evicting us. Would this be classed as harassment, as they woukld, in effect, be withdrawing electricity services if we are unable to top it up.

We are being evicted as it is the end of the AST and the landlord wants to rent it out for considerably more than what we are curently paying.

Yes, It is harassment with drawing your Electric supply, you need to contact local council housing dept/ private tenancy unit if this happens or contact you local Shelter or CAB office ...

The only time you can be evicted is when your LL has obtained a valid possession order, even then you don't have to leave until Bailiffs turn up with a valid warrant.

From reading this thread below

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?422581-Is-my-S21-valid

is your main problem is a roof over your head

and sorry to sound blunt, but you should start looking for somewhere else to live ASAP

If and when you do find somewhere else to live, make sure the utility bills are in your name ....

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

We have already found somewhere, just waiting for a moving date which should be in the next 4 weeks. just want to be well armed should the need arise.

I am going to contact Npower now to tell them i am taking over responsibility.

I was always invoiced seperatley for the electric. I have never questioned the readings as I cannot access the meter, as i said before, it is on the farm and the gate is always locked. I have now asked to see the last 3 years bills from the electricity company though.

There is nothing in the contract that states I have to pay the electric to the landlord, it just states rent is exclusive of all utilities and that it is my responsibility to pay them.

I also pay my water rates direct to him. he sends a contractor round every quarter to read the water meter an then bills me.

S21 was correctly served 2 months ago and ran out on 4th June.

We have already found somewhere, just waiting for a moving date which should be in the next 4 weeks. just want to be well armed should the need arise.

Why is the PPM been fitted in the 1st place ?

Phoning Npower up and asking for the account to be put in your name is IMHO Now a waste of time ...

Especially if the PPM is been fitted due to the LL not paying the bill/ getting into arrears

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

It is possible to have a water meter fitted whilst paying the non meter charge.

I have a water meter fitted, yet I pay the charge as if the meter was not fitted.

It could be that whilst you have a water meter fitted, the water company are disregarding this and charging the flat rate instead. Then your landlord sends round a 'contractor?' and could possibly be charging you more.

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

Just came off the phone to Npower. It is on a commercial tarrif and I cannot take it over to a residential tarrif in my name without my landlord filling out a form to get it changed over apparently. he has also told me that I need to purchase an electric key from him to enable me to top it up! So from what I can see this is harrasment, as he is, in effect, cutting off my electricity supply by 1. my not being able to access the electric meter to top it up and 2. not supplying me with an electric key to be able to top it up even if i could get to it!