Terminating a contract after apprenticeship

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have been asked to produce a letter of termination for an employee who has completed their 1 year apprenticeship course but is not looking to be kept on by the company.

The reason for the termination is due to poor performance and not following company procedures.

Has anybody had experience of this and if so could you give me some advice as to how to layout a letter of termination or possibly point me in the direction of a good template to use.

Regards

Kim

I believe that termination of employment at the end of an apprenticeship is classed as dismissal so a reason for dismissal must be used.

Has there been any warnings to the apprentice of the poor performance and other failures during the year ?

Hello Kim.

I think you should go carefully with this; I've seen apprenticeship threads on the forum where employers have got things wrong. Our employment guys should know the answers when they're able to get here.

What does the contract/apprenticeship agreement say please?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

was the apprenticeship very definitely for one year only? Sounds short to me.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thanks for the advice.

The apprenticeship was for a year whilst they completed a qualification with the option to take them on full time.

There have been some performance issues which have been documented.

Regards

Kim

If the contract is written that way then the termination is because the fixed term contract has ended. It is not uncommon for apprentices to leave or be let go and the end of the indenture contract so I cant see any particular problem with that unless the person had thought their position was secure after the end of the apprenticeship becuase that impresion was given to them.

However, no claim for unfair dismissal as they have not been employed for the qualifying period.