SB debt being chased by Moorcroft

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

Received a letter out of the blue today for an old debt that I believe I had a ccj on which expired in 2011.

Thing is they don't demand any cash just say they contacting me for an outstanding balance for an old account

and that I should contact them.

I'll be clear, I'm not sure if I had a ccj on this debt or not as my CRF from 2009 doesn't state which company the ccj was for.

For the record there is no trace of this debt on my credit files.

Fishing letter and ignore?

so whatever the CCJ was about - it gone?

whatever the debt was, its since been removed?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Please read these new rules on the enforcement of statute barred debts

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?426148-CONC-7.15-Statute-barred-debts

Edited by Conniff
correct typo

so whatever the CCJ was about - it gone?

whatever the debt was, its since been removed?

dx

Hi DX.

Yes the CCJ disappeared in 2011.

If there is a ccj on the debt, the dca can go back to the court for permission to collect even if the debt itself has passed the six year mark.

True but not many do as the judge might just say they already had one bite of the cherry and they didn't take it so why should they have a second go.

It may be that Moorcroft have no idea that there was a CCJ attached to this debt

I agree with waiting for now until they tell you what is what.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Just for clarity.

If a debt is subject to a CCJ, it creates a new debt in law and one that is not subject to the Limitations Acts. If it has not been enforced for more than 6 years, the creditor will have to justify taking it back to court for enforcement.

If your debt is not the CCJ one then the following applies (from Bankfodder's post).

A firm must not continue to demand payment from a customer after the customer has stated that he will not be paying the debt because it is statute barred.
A letter stating that the debt is statute barred, that you have no intention to pay against a statute barred debt and a request that they cease all communication (except to confirm your demands) is appropriate.

Following Silverfoxes logic that they probably don't know about a CCJ, I would be tempted to send the letter anyway.

agreed

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just for clarity.

If a debt is subject to a CCJ, it creates a new debt in law and one that is not subject to the Limitations Acts. If it has not been enforced for more than 6 years, the creditor will have to justify taking it back to court for enforcement.

If your debt is not the CCJ one then the following applies (from Bankfodder's post).

A letter stating that the debt is statute barred, that you have no intention to pay against a statute barred debt and a request that they cease all communication (except to confirm your demands) is appropriate.

Following Silverfoxes logic that they probably don't know about a CCJ, I would be tempted to send the letter anyway.

Thanks.

How can I find out if this debt is the ccj one or not?

Is this valid?

See sec 24; http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/58

If a creditor tried to enforce it your defence would be section 24 of the limitations Act 1980....

(1) An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

(2) No arrears of interest in respect of any judgment debt shall be recovered after the expiration of six years from the date on which the interest became due.

Is this valid?

If a creditor tried to enforce it your defence would be section 24 of the limitations Act 1980....

(1) An action shall not be brought upon any judgment after the expiration of six years from the date on which the judgment became enforceable.

(2) No arrears of interest in respect of any judgment debt shall be recovered after the expiration of six years from the date on which the interest became due.

The LA 1980 is still valid.

For CCJs check Trust online, check all addresses.

Is this on your credit files?

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

if I were to do anything on this

i'd send the SB letter

its for them to prove [for whatever reason] it is not.

for now sit on your hands

I bet you'll get a discount letter son.

dx

and they

Is this valid?

That's to do with fresh actions and not not the enforcement of existing judgments. That said, there is a large mass of case law that makes clear that allowing enforcement beyond six years is only allowed in very particular circumstances. In addition, leave of the court would be required if they were looking to consider bailiff action. All other forms of enforcement require a hearing where the argument of time can be raised at that point.

Follow what DX has written. The letter is a powerful tool as the burden of proof would shift to the other party.

Please read these new rules on the enforcement of statute barred debts

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?426148-CONC-7.15-Statute-barred-debts

When did the SB rules change BankFodder? Does this also affect Scotland? I've got a DCA who contacts me every 2 or 3 years about a debt that I haven't paid of acknowledged for 7 years.

When did the SB rules change BankFodder? Does this also affect Scotland? I've got a DCA who contacts me every 2 or 3 years about a debt that I haven't paid of acknowledged for 7 years.

Scotlands limitation period remains the same 5years no payments and or unequivocal written acknowledgment., and the debt is extinguished.

So no relevant contact i.e. issue of a court claim and the above end of story in Scotland.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

CCJ came off credit file in 2011.

The Claim stopped the clock the day it was issued.

Sorry Brig, not sure what you mean?

e.g. debt with no payment/acknowledgment or 2 years, so in Scotland SB in 3 years ( England 4 years) if no payment/acknowledgment, Creditor/DCA issues court claim year 3 the stat barred clock stops the day the claim is issued, will only start again if the claim does Not proceed to judgement.

Please read these new rules on the enforcement of statute barred debts http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?426148-CONC-7.15-Statute-barred-debts

florish I agree that this could be ambiguous - although I have asked for clarification, I think what hte FCA are saying is that if the debt owner has not made any contact at all within the 6 year limitation period, then they cant suddenly pop up and say you owe us £XYZ. However, they can still continue to pursue if they have been in contact and the debtor has not advised they are not paying.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

e.g. debt with no payment/acknowledgment or 2 years, so in Scotland SB in 3 years ( England 4 years) if no payment/acknowledgment, Creditor/DCA issues court claim year 3 the stat barred clock stops the day the claim is issued, will only start again if the claim does Not proceed to judgement.

Sorry Brig, still not following you here.

CCJ issued in 2005, nothing paid, infact never received any paperwork at the time, CCj came off credit file in 2011, never heard anything until now.

florish I agree that this could be ambiguous - although I have asked for clarification, I think what hte FCA are saying is that if the debt owner has not made any contact at all within the 6 year limitation period, then they cant suddenly pop up and say you owe us £XYZ. However, they can still continue to pursue if they have been in contact and the debtor has not advised they are not paying.

Hi CB this is a "Scottish Jurisdiction" debt as I understand it so the timescale is 5 years for SB, this one has a CCJ that was removed from CRA files 2011?? so statute barred status does not apply as the issue of the claim stopped the clock on the date of issue. The claim was successful so the "clock" does not restart.

The debt has not been extinguished because of the claim, it is however unlikely that a court in any jurisdiction would allow further action unless there was an over riding reason to do so.

So I believe technically the debt can be pursued.