• Tweets

• See what the latest data on school suspensions tells us about the UK education system and early intervention.View the full article
    • The world's largest economy grew less than expected but rising inflation may delay a rate cut.View the full article
    • Hello, Following the submission of my defense, last night I received an email from DCBL indicating that the claimant intends to proceed with the claim (I've attached a screenshot of the email for reference) along with the N180 directions questionnaire. I'm unsure how they obtained my email, but I suspect it was through the courts' form when I completed the Acknowledgment of Service. This email almost slipped my attention. I have also today received a letter from court to state they have received my defense.  It appears they are requesting an online telephone hearing with the court. Could you please advise me on the necessary steps I should take at this point? Thank you for your assistance. Letter-Email 25-04-24.pdf N180 - Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track).pdf
    • Default Amount £9237.88, all this started in 2006 Admitted debt £9075.65 Weightmans added £1515.01 immediately they became involved, no explanation The Statement shows when Marlin bought debt in May 2011 £10439.25 Their statements, not received until the SAR, are based on this. Cabot deducted £1515.01on their statements in January 2019, again did not find this out until SAR. Weightmans added in  2007 after the CH1 etc was confirmed by the court £741.50, made up of Process server fees, Court Fee (they tried for bankruptcy), Solicitors fee and Land Registry fee. Unspecfied Legal costs were added by Marlin in March 2015, again I did not know this until statements received with SAR I had been paying monthly, without exception until December 2018. I am minded to take the property charge, CH1 amount ,deduct all my payments and the subsequent fees, and request/demand a refund on the final payment made? I consistently disputed Weightmans balances, but they never responded. I also told Mortimer Clarke/Cabot that I disputed their amounts.  
    • Just follow this link and have read of some threads so your familiar with the process https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5178739
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Thurrock Council.....Whyte & Co and serious concerns about enforcement of 'historic' parking tickets !!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3604 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On 28th May I read an article in SCOOP that at first glance appeared to be rather unimportant. I was wrong. On closer reading, the news article is of serious concern for a variety of reasons.

The link is below and in brief, concerns 2,500 letters that were sent to debtors by the enforcement company; Whyte & Co. Crucially, the letters were sent to the debtors in the week before the 'run up to the local and European elections. (more on this further on).

One resident complained to the newspaper that the letter arrived on 21st May to advise that the debt had to be paid by the day before (20th May). The letter also 'helpfully' enclosed details of a parking fine 'surgery' that Thurrock Council had hosted a few days earlier.

If this was not serious enough....the debt to which the letter referred to was a parking ticket issued by Thurrock Council three years earlier (June 2011) !!!

As many regular viewers will know, Whyte & Co were the enforcement company featured so unfavourably by the recent TV series: PARKING MAD. The program exposed the way in which Whyte & Co operate 'Roadside Operations' with the assistance of the police using ANPR equipped vehicles.

As the TV programmes confirmed, Whyte & Co were NOT seeking to locate the debtor by using their ANPR equipped vehicles. Instead, they were seeking to find (with the assistance of police) the VEHICLE that had been driven by the debtor on the date of the alleged parking contravention !!!

Accordingly, if Thurrock Council is contracting with Whyte & Co to retrieve such historic debts are they also allowing them to use ANPR equipped vehicles to assist with their enforcement?

http://www.yourthurrock.com/2014/05/28/vote-winner-thousands-received-bailiff-letters-in-election-week-in-thurrock/

As mentioned above the Whyte & Co letters were sent to debtors during the last week of May (being the period in the run up to the local and European elections.

The timing of the letters is against the strict 'PURDAH' Guidelines which start 6 weeks before a Scheduled election and serious questions have now been raised by the shadow portfolio holder questioning why such letters were sanctioned to be sent so close to the election.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdah_%28pre-election_period%29

This is wrong on so many levels, there is a good chance that the vehicles are with different owners, and if ANPR is being used it doesn't bear thinking about the consequences. There is a good chance that Whyte & Co may try to force the new owner to pay up, or even push for interpleader under the new rules.

Are Thurrock Council harbouring a death wish at the next council elections, or are the officers out of control?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

As mentioned above the Whyte & Co letters were sent to debtors during the last week of May (being the period in the run up to the local and European elections.

The timing of the letters is against the strict 'PURDAH' Guidelines which start 6 weeks before a Scheduled election and serious questions have now been raised by the shadow portfolio holder questioning why such letters were sanctioned to be sent so close to the election.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdah_%28pre-election_period%29

I don't think this would touch on the purdah rules, as the letters were about unpaid parking tickets and not anything that would be considered party political. It would part of the councils normal work. Plus many of the people contacted may not even live in the area any more, given that the tickets were 3 years old.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I don't think this would touch on the purdah rules.

QUOTE]

Not according to Mr Barry Johnson the Conservative Councillor for Thurrock Council !!!

In a public sector publication released online today Councillor Johnson states as follows:

"As the shadow portfolio holder for central services, I knew nothing about these letters.

Why did the administration sanction this so close to an election? If it is a new initiative then surely it goes against the rules of Purdah to initiate it at this time.

But if it were a real attempt by the Labour administration to find alternative ways of payment without incurring further costs, then why were the opposition councillors not informed.....we could have advertised it at our surgeries"

I am sure council leader John Kent was delighted that thousands of voters may have received letters from debt collectors on the week of the elections"

If the above is not bad enough the following is:

In the same public sector publication a spokesperson for Thurrock Council is quoted as saying the following:

"Motorists with historic outstanding parking fines from Thurrock Council were invited to a special surgery at the Civic Offices in Grays to find ways of paying the debts without incurring further charges"

"The next step in the process for tickets issued before 1st April 2013 and still not paid would otherwise be enforcement action, which could involve extra costs such as £75 for Compliance, £235 for calling and taking control of goods, and £110 for removal"

Has this 'spokesperson' actually read the 'transitional' regulations ???

Has this 'spokesperson' actually read the 'transitional' regulations ???

Probably not & will be spouting what they have been furnished with by Whyte & Co - thus confirming neither know the rules.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If Thurrock Council believe that a 'Compliance Fee' of £75 may be charged then questions really do need to be raised !!

Also, what date were this 'historic' debts registered at TEC?

What date are the warrants?

Have the warrants expired?

I don't think this would touch on the purdah rules.

QUOTE]

Not according to Mr Barry Johnson the Conservative Councillor for Thurrock Council !!!

In a public sector publication released online today Councillor Johnson states as follows:

"As the shadow portfolio holder for central services, I knew nothing about these letters.

Why did the administration sanction this so close to an election? If it is a new initiative then surely it goes against the rules of Purdah to initiate it at this time.

I think Barry is wrong. It is up to the relevant council department how they organise such things and there would be no requirement to advise opposition party councillors of this. The current Labour controlled council are hardly likely to receive any votes from such an initiative, as the only people who would have known about it, would be the 2500 people who received the letters. I don't think there was any expenditure advertising the initiative from what I have read. If the council had done articles in the local newspaper about how they were chasing up parking fines with a new initiative, I would agree that this would be a purdah issue.

I am sensing that some Tories on Thurrock council are making this a political issue, in the hoping of gaining a few votes in the run up to the May 2015 election. In truth if the Tories were running Thurrock they would be chasing up parking tickets using various methods.

Whatevedr the politics, Whyte & Co appear to be a loose cannon, and bringing their own interpretation to the rules.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Funny how the Director who featured on the Parking Mad programme was quite willing to slag off their competition for the possible misuse of the new regulations in an article (which tomotubby highlighted on this forum some time ago) and here he is doing the same....

Funny how the Director who featured on the Parking Mad programme was quite willing to slag off their competition for the possible misuse of the new regulations in an article (which tomotubby highlighted on this forum some time ago) and here he is doing the same....

Kettles & Pots HCEOs either way if they are being naughty they need a figurative slap.

I completely forgot about that article !!!

Yesterday I visited the PARKEX exhibition at Olympia. Although transport related a lot of bailiff companies had their own stand or attended as visitors. Whyte & Co were one of the companies with a stand and I had the opportunity of speaking personally with the Director and I was surprised to hear that he was pleased with over 85% of the content of the Parking Mad episodes.

I completely forgot about that article !!!

Yesterday I visited the PARKEX exhibition at Olympia. Although transport related a lot of bailiff companies had their own stand or attended as visitors. Whyte & Co were one of the companies with a stand and I had the opportunity of speaking personally with the Director and I was surprised to hear that he was pleased with over 85% of the content of the Parking Mad episodes.

Says it all then, did you let him know that other people were not so happy with their actions?

With the Metropolitan Police confirming that they have suspended their involvement with bailiffs in "Roadside Operations" I think that it will not be long before many other 'changes' are made. Trying to enforce 2011 parking tickets and thinking that a charge of £75 can be applied should be one novel idea that gets stopped right now.

With the Metropolitan Police confirming that they have suspended their involvement with bailiffs in "Roadside Operations" I think that it will not be long before many other 'changes' are made. Trying to enforce 2011 parking tickets and thinking that a charge of £75 can be applied should be one novel idea that gets stopped right now.

They will argue that they had no levy prior to April 6th so the new rules apply or some other obfuscation or interpretation they claims allows it.

In reality the clock is ticking and they are ignoring the signs.

What needs to be taken into consideration is that the new regulations took such a long time to come into effect given that the previous government pledged that the new rules would ONLY be implemented when a suitable regulatory body was in place. A separate Stakeholder group was set up to explore how such a complaints regime could work. The members consisted mainly of representative from the enforcement industry and the government made the point VERY clear that the new regulatory body would NOT receive any funding from the government.

In a nutshell, the only suitable proposal that the Stakeholder group could come up with was the BPA (British Parking Association) run complaints body. The Government sought the views of the public in the Consultation Paper on Bailiff Reform and thankfully, most responded to indicate that they would NOT support the BPA. My response to the Consultation paper consisted of approx 30 pages and I made the point VERY CLEAR that the BPA should be dismissed as a non starter.

Following the Consultation process, the "enforcement industry" continued to explore setting up a Complaints/Regulatory body but failed.The government could not hold off the new regulations any longer and we now have new regulations but NO regulatory body.

HOWEVER, the government is closely looking to see how the new regs are working and all Stakeholder groups (mine included) are being urged to inform MOJ of any concerns that we have. A special email address has even been provided. The enforcement companies KNOW that they are now 'under the spotlight'.

They now have to PROVE to the government that 'self regulation' will work. The next few months will be interesting.

Self regulation of EAs is a complete nonsense.