Default Notice - 6 year anniversary in June 2014 but need advice please..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3591 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have 2 remaining default notices that are both due to come off my credit file on June 6th 2014.

Long story short, I buried my head in the sand and looking back I could've handled the situation better.

But, what's done is done and I am almost at the end of the long road.

I wish I had discovered forums like this 6 years ago!

I hope to be in a position to apply for credit so I can move forward in my life. i.e. getting a mortgage.

My plan is to apply for a modest credit card with my bank, demonstrate I can manage finances and then ultimately apply for a mortgage with them.

I have subscribed to Experian, Equifax and Call Credit for 30 days to ensure they come off but I have 3 questions.

1. If both defaults come off on June 6th - how long should you wait before applying for any credit?

2. How long do lenders keep information regarding failed applications?

I naively applied for a credit card with my bank in May 2013 and got declined.

If I applied for a card in say July 2014 could my bank see the failed application from May 2013?

3. One of the defaults coming off still has a balance left on it - £930 which is with a collections agency (Lowell).

I fully intend on paying the whole amount and have a monthly DD of £60 paying it off.

My question is, is there any way Lowell could sell that 'debt' to another agency to try and recoup the full amount in one go?

N.B. I have not made a credit application of any kind since May 2013.

In 2008 I had 4 defaults. As of June 2014, 3 have been paid in full and satisfied. As I mentioned, only 1 has a balance on it but that will be coming off my report. I have not had a missed payment, utility bill, phone contract bill for 2 years so hopefully these will all be positive markers.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can assist.

Edited by barrycuda

it depends on your bank

9/10 the application is automatically scanned via the CRA provider they use

if the defaults are gone

then it wont effect your score

neither should the past application.

I hope you've send lowells a CCA request to verify they DO have the LEGAL paperwork

to even demand money from you.

paying off a defaulted debt, makes no diff to your score.

a DCA is NOT A BAILIFF

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What you shouldnt do is make a lot of applications for credit in a short period of time.

I think you can ask for an unrecorded search if your bank looks for you, that way if they refuse, then it wont show on a search.

IMHO I would stay clear of companies such as Vanquis.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you for your responses.

I currently bank with NatWest and was under the impression they use Equifax?

I have checked Experian and Call Credit today and the defaults have ‘dropped off’ which is great but they are still on my Equifax report.

They have assured me they will be removed within 48hours.

Thankfully, I am not in a desperate rush to apply for credit I just wanted to know if there was a recommended time to wait.

RE Lowell

– I never asked them for a CCA at the time but I don’t contest the debt and fully accept responsibility for the money owed.

The default is/was recorded in Lowell’s name on all 3 CRA’s so I presume they had the correct legal paper work.

In hindsight if I had read this forum in 2008 I probably would have challenged them.

But to be fair to them, they haven’t harassed me during the time of the agreement

I just want to get this over and done with.

One of my satisfied defaults was with a company called Advantis Credit and they were a nightmare in comparison!

The only thing I was considering is lowering my payments to Lowell to say £30 but didn’t want them to be able to sell on the debt in the future.

I know the pitfalls of having lot of ‘hard searches’ in quick succession on your credit report

after my decline in May 2013 I didn’t make any further applications.

I have also resisted the temptation to apply for high interest cards such as Vanquis etc

Ideally, I would like to get a credit card with NatWest but according to the Experian credit matcher (as of today)

I am matched with a few mainstream low interest cards like AA, NatWest, Sainsbury and Halifax

I am tempted to look elsewhere because I don’t want any failed applications with NatWest in the run up to a mortgage application.

I know CRA's keep application data for 12 months so I presume banks must do the same or even longer?

I remember asking the NatWest employee (over the phone) at the time to complete a ‘pre-check’ on my chances of getting accepted

and by all accounts they looked good which is why I proceeded with the application.

it looks like you never know for certain until you actually apply which is disappointing.

lowells did not default the accounts

the OC's did that when they sold the debts on.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

lowells did not default the accounts

the OC's did that when they sold the debts on.

You cannot rely on the fact that the defaults have been removed after 6years to give you a sudden and significant improvement on your "credit" score.

citizen B is correct any credit application in your current situation as I understand it will have a detrimental

effect, the searches will show on CRA files NW use and "opt in " facility to search on the files.

Any searches the bank has made in reference to the declined CC app will be noted on your file.

You will need to take a long view regarding the prospect of getting a mortgage, take a look through the forums for posts regarding the "new" mortgage app questionnaire for a start. This has been see to take up to 3 hours to complete and must be totally up front in all answers provided.

You are right to try and obtain a "credit builder" card but care must be exercised in its use.

You will need to be able to show a prospective mortgage lender an absolute minimum of 3 years permanent residence, electoral roll data, and most important of all good to excellent proved credit management.

The trend is for prospective lenders to look further back to 4-5 years credit records.

Slow process and great care needed.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

I totally agree with you RE credit scores and am under no illusions about this. Ironically, when I failed the last application I had a ‘good’ credit score according to Experian. But unfortunately for me, my score on Equifax was poor but I didn’t know that NatWest used Equifax along with their own internal scoring system at the time.

“Any searches the bank has made in reference to the declined CC app will be noted on your file” How long will NatWest will keep this information? I would hate to think I cannot apply for any credit with them for say 6 years because of a failed application in May 2013.

RE Mortgage – I will potentially be making any application with my girlfriend but no plans to do so in the next 12 months. My predicament is, my girlfriend has an ‘excellent’ credit rating and has never had any credit issues. Her bank has indicated to her that she wouldn’t have any problems applying for a mortgage with them. However, my last remaining default is with her bank. It was a student account that defaulted in 2008.

I accept full responsibility for the money owed to that bank but my preference is to never bank with them again once it’s fully paid off. I don’t relish the prospect of jumping through hoops for them in a mortgage application. That’s why my preference is to apply to NatWest in the first instance as I have been with them for just over 10 years now.

We have been at our current address for just over 2 years now but only been on the electoral roll for just over a year though. The utility bills, council tax, landline phone, a mobile phone contract all get debited from my bank account. I have had no missed/late/defaulted payments on any of those accounts for the whole duration. If a lender looked at my file after the default comes off all they would see is positive payment history for 2 years.

“The trend is for prospective lenders to look further back to 4-5 years credit records”

When I view my credit report (excluding the default notice), the oldest account I have is the utility bill which started shortly after we moved in 2 years ago. Are you suggesting I cannot apply for a mortgage for another 2-3 years of good payment history?

I am just looking for another way of enhancing my credit worthiness and felt getting a credit card and making small purchases i.e. monthly food shop and promptly paying off the money was a good method as I have 'exhausted' other methods i.e. having all bills in my name.

Hi, Unless you have a long checkable credit history no defaults, late payments. arrangements to pay etc., for at the very least 3 years, which in itself takes three years to achieve so yes you will be getting towards what lenders are looking for today, no one can prophecy what changes will come about during the time you need to build a credit profile acceptable to lenders.

What is right now may be wrong in a couple of years it may be worse (probably) or better (possibly) interest rates are about to rise how fast and how high is not easy to see.

The removal of adverse date from CRA files is by no way a miracle cure, you must build a credit profile.

More than 1-2 credit apps in any 6 month period will have an adverse effect, credit searches on apps are seen by other potential lenders as indicator of your "hunger" for credit.

Long term excellent management of 3-4 credit accounts will build a confident profile but it cannot be done quickly.

As suggested earlier research the new mortgage questionnaires and you will see just how deep prospective lenders are probing.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

thanks again for the advice this is all very useful.

I have had a brief look at the website links provided and am definitely going to spend time thouroughly reading them before any mortgage application.

I will NOT make an application for at least another 12 months.

Hopefully in that time we would've built up a decent deposit and my credit profile will be more attractive to lenders.

I have re-examined old credit reports today and realised I made an error in what I previously posted on here.

It looks like my failed application to Natwest was actually in September 2012 but I had applied for a 'high interest cc' in May 2013.

Crucially at the time of both these applications I had lived at my address for less than 12 months,

was NOT on the electoral roll and still had defaults on my report.

Looking back it was a bad decision to make those applications but I certainly know alot more than I did back then.

The one positive factor is both those searches are no longer on my credit search history.

I haven't made any credit applications for 12months.

Thankfully, I am not hungry for credit so if I get declined for a cc in the near future I will not be making another application any time soon.

I just want to know that I am able to obtain credit in the run up to a mortage application in 12-18months time.

voters would have killed that too.

dx

and they

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cardsloans/article-1585131/Improve-credit-rating-history-score.html

Some good advice from the "this is money" team and up to date as it was published June this year.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I don't like the recommendation to get a relative to sign up to a joint loan or credit card, this is fraught with problems just waiting to happen.

Most of this is the advice given here on a regular basis I think.

I don't like the recommendation to get a relative to sign up to a joint loan or credit card, this is fraught with problems just waiting to happen.

Most of this is the advice given here on a regular basis I think.

& problems will happen no doubt = avoid at all cost,

would hate to start a thread for peeps to list the occassions they have lost money to others in good faith regardless if relative or not , I for one did as a best man in the 80s only to find the so called mate did a runner with his Bride on the day to re-pay us for the wedding cost & Hotel reception cost, also pretty new goods to get them started, and had lied about his old job he was just leaving on the Friday was going to pay him on Monday before his departure from the area, hence I arrived as planned at 6.30 a.m.Monday to help load van prior to his visit to a government department to collect paperwork & monies === & There He Was GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no forward adddess.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

& problems will happen no doubt = avoid at all cost,

would hate to start a thread for peeps to list the occassions they have lost money to others in good faith regardless if relative or not , I for one did as a best man in the 80s only to find the so called mate did a runner with his Bride on the day to re-pay us for the wedding cost & Hotel reception cost, also pretty new goods to get them started, and had lied about his old job he was just leaving on the Friday was going to pay him on Monday before his departure from the area, hence I arrived as planned at 6.30 a.m.Monday to help load van prior to his visit to a government department to collect paperwork & monies === & There He Was GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no forward adddess.

Quite right this is a common problem, joint accounts/loans to or from friends so often end in disputes a joint credit would be a disaster in my opinion.

hi, which link recommends that?