statued barred debt?

Nat77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3479 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys please could someone help me.

I had my home repossed 7 years ago and was made homeless.

I had a secured loan against the property but havent had any contact with Welcome Finance since.

I have checked my credit file on Noodle today and it says that a dca -mdlp purchased the debt in 2009

( 2 years after it originally defaulted) and updated my file in May 2014.

My questions is:

can they do this?

shouldnt this have been wiped off by now from the original default date on 2006/7 with Welcome?

it also reads unsecured loan defaulted in 2009 and shows balance.

But thent also has default balance £0 .

my next question is:

when you have a repo does the secured loan then beciome an unsecured loan?

any help would be greatly apprecaited thank you

im new on here

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Secured loans and mortgages have a 12 year life span before they are statute barred - although I believe if no contact regarding any shortfall, has been made within 6 years then the information in the following letter might apply.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387506-Mortgage-shortfalls-Lender-should-not-pursue-under-CML-policy

If the debt has been assigned/sold to a Debt Purchaser then there would be a £0 balance shown on the date of the sale - the new owner would then be responsible for updating the credit files with the correct balance.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If the security of the loan has been repossessed, then I would think yes - it then becomes an unsecured loan. I will check out if the original terms would still apply.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Many thanks for your quick reply. Welcome Finance do not appear on my file, they off some time ago its the DCA that bought it from them that are coming up. Can they still continue to default me from they date they purchased it? I thought it started from the original default with Welcome

Many thanks for your quick reply. Welcome Finance do not appear on my file, they off some time ago its the DCA that bought it from them that are coming up. Can they still continue to default me from they date they purchased it? I thought it started from the original default with Welcome

They cannot amend the original default date.. they can only continue to update it.

BCOBS

unforuntaly they have moved the original default date - is there something i can do about this? should i contafct them, or wait until they contact me?

You should make a complaint - in writing to their Head/Registered office. You could also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner.

BCOBS

I suggest you read and follow this thread...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?425924-MKDP-and-CRa-file-entry-for-Welcome-debt(6-Viewing)-nbsp

almost exact same scenario.

sar & CCa time too!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

thank you. can you suggest anything i should stay which would hold ground at all? sorry i have no clue

I see that dx100UK has provided a link for you - if you want to draft an initial letter and pop it on here, we can help you fine tune it :)

BCOBS

Thank you.

The things is (i know i sound silly) but i have no idea how to word it.

I want to say - "having checked my credt file, I see that you have defaulted me in 2009 for an unsecured loan.

The alledged debt defaulted with the original debtor at the end of 2006 beginning of 2007.

You purchased the debt in 2009 and have regsitered that as the default date which is incorrect.

This alledges debt became statute barred some nearly 2 years ago

and I request you remove all entries you have on me." what you think? to lame?

Thank you. The things is (i know i sound silly) but i have no idea how to word it. I basically want to say - "having checked my credt file, I see that you have defaulted me in 2009 for an unsecured loan.The alledged debt defaulted with the original debtor at the end of 2006 beginning of 2007. You purchased the debt in 2009 and have regsitered that as the default date which is incorrect. This alledges debt became statute barred some nearly 2 years ago and I request you remove all entries you have on me." what you think? to lame?

Perhaps something along the lines of.

Dear Sir or Madam

FORMAL COMPLAINT

Account references

Having checked my credit files with (AGENCIES) I notice that you have entered a Default Date of DATE on those records.

I would point out that Welcome Finance, the original creditor defaulted this acount on DATE.

It is my understanding that you are not permitted to alter the original default date. The Information Commissioner advises that reporting by creditors must be accurate and factual. It is obvious that your reporting is nothing like. I must insist that you restore the original default date.

Should you decide not to do this, I will be making an official complaint to the ICO and also the Financial Ombudsman and Financial Conduct Authority.

I look forward to hearing from you within 14 days from the date of this letter.

Yours etc.

Send it to the Head/Registered office of the company who now owns the debt at the very least use Recorded deliver in order to obtain a signature of receipt.

BCOBS

Thank you so much Citizb. this is very jhelpful. should ia l make note that this account is staute barred?

Do you know for sure that this is statute barred ?

BCOBS

If you are absolutely certain that the debt is statute barred then you will find an SB template letter in the CAG library..

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?403-CAG-Library

BCOBS

Well I was repo in march 2007. I hadn't paid anything to secured loan for a few months prior to this. Haven't spoken communicated with anyone on this since then

Well I was repo in march 2007. I hadn't paid anything to secured loan for a few months prior to this. Haven't spoken communicated with anyone on this since then

I think this might all come down to the question asked earlier.. if the security for a secured loan is repossessed.. does the loan then become "unsecured". I have left a message for other site team members to confirm this.. so best hold off sending any Stat Barred letter until we have an answer for that :)

BCOBS

:)

BCOBS

Please be careful with MKDP LLP... They are very Litigious and i would say its best to nip this in the bud ASAP.

If you believe it is now SB then go for it but then again watch closely form CitB s answer.

CitB; Ive had a look around on the interwebs for information on what youve suggested and I ve found something on Santanders Website that you maybe very interested in on this one...

See attached photo, however i will add this maybe just Santander's version of dealing with shortfalls.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51304[/ATTACH]

HERE

We could do with some help from you.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thanks for those links fk..

I was pretty certain that a shortfall became an unsecured loan..

However the separate loan secured on the property does not become unsecured. So sorry Nat77, the loan will not be statute barred.

I would suggest you look at whether there was any PPI or charges applied that you might be able to use to reduce the liability.

BCOBS