Any builders out there??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need some help with building regulations.

I live in sheltered housing and have a patio door which leads out on to a path which is just over 1 metre wide before a fence.

I think that the step down from my patio door is in violation of the rules but I cannot be certain so this is where you builders may be able to help. BTW, this is not for me as such as I can get out of the door in the event of an emergency but my neighbour who has the same step cannot get out.

The dimensions are.

The patio door has a lip which is 41mm high

The threshhold is 65 mm wide

The drop to the drip strip is 47mm down

The drip strip itself is 94mm wide (although I don't stand on that bit)

The drop from the drip strip is 200mm down to the steo

The step itself is 206 mm wide.

The drip strip overhangs the bottom step by 55mm meaning that the step itself is 151mm.

Bearing in mind this complex is supposed to be designed for the disabled, I don't feel the step is suitable.

The building was opened in 1977

2hoYOyHMHLxAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Have you considered contacting the planning department of your Local Authority - they will be able to advise I am sure.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There is a tenants meeting next monday and I am going to raise this issue once again.

Unfortunately, it was the council that built this place and the regs at the time may have been correct. What they did was to place a kerb type slab as a step on top of a french drain. (pebbles over soil to aid water drainage)

The last time I raised this, the council official said and I quote, "Well, we could always remove the patio doors and replace them with windows."

What I am after is for the council to place ramps at all the patio doors to help the less abled to get out of the door in the event of a fire. The only other door to each flat is in to a communal corridor which we are not allowed to use if the alarm goes off.

I did say to this pencil pusher that it would cost far more to remove the doors than to build up the paths around the complex.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Thank you rebel. the first link is invaluable. From what I have read in section 8.4 both the tread and the riser are not within the allowable range.

Preferred depth of tread, 300mm, minimum 250mm. Mine, 206mm with a 55mm overhang

Preferred riser height, 130-150mm, minimum 100mm, maximum 170mm. Mine 200mm

I would also advise contacting your local fire station and asking for a free fire inspection.

Also contact the councils Occupational Therapist and ask for a visit as they can push to get either the step extended or a ramp.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Building Regs were changed in late 1999 to 2000 with regards to disability access.

There is a very extensive list of requirements.

At the time of introduction I believe it was 1 in 10 units (new build houses) had to comply.

What I would also like to point out is:

At the same time in introducing this the Councils insisted that ALL retailers complied.

Yet they themselves on a "purpose built site" Fail to "upgrade" !!!!!

How the hell does that work ???

Oh nearly forgot. Regarding changing doors to windows :

Tell the "Pen pusher". They can't do that due to Building Regs./ Fire Regs. minimum requirements 2 escape routes.

Thanks for popping by f16.

We do have many fire exits, one in each corridor plus a couple of others placed in a central area (about 6 escapes)

The fire rules for this place is if an alarm sounds we are to stay behind our doors unless told otherwise. If we have to get out we have to use the patio door if at home or another exit if in a communal area. I shall be making notes to throw at the tenant rep on Monday.

I shall also be contacting the councils health and safety team and the planning department.

I suspect the answer will be that at the time this place was built, it complied with the regulations and they will only do the necessary work as part of an upgrade. That is unless someone falls and sues them first.

The fire rules for this place is if an alarm sounds we are to stay behind our doors unless told otherwise. If we have to get out we have to use the patio door if at home or another exit if in a communal area. I shall be making notes to throw at the tenant rep on Monday.

Therefore they can't remove the patio doors and fit windows !!!

The point is : If some of the residents are unable to use the designated "Fire escape route"

Then the "Fire Dept" needs to be aware.

If I were you I would contact the Fire Dept. and ask for a visit from the fire safety officer.

I fail to understand how ALL retailers were forced to comply with the new Regs. but the Council are allowed in ignore.

Beats Me !!!

• 1 year later...

Thought I would bring this thread back up to speed.

Last year (August, September time) we finally got funding for a ramp placed outside mine and my neighbours flats. Nothing happened so earlier this year, I queried it with my council. The guy in charge had no idea why it hadn't been done as he had assumed it had been done. I now have a new name for Waveney District Council. WDC = We Don't Care!

A bit more back and forth over the last few months resulted in a new agreement to do the ramp and last week I was given the new date to commence. 9 November.

Well I have to say that WDC have been very clever in their new invisible ramp. You can't even see it there.

I have just realised that they said work would commence on 9 November but they didn't say which year :frusty:

The best bit. It has been perfect weather to do it. Sunshine most days but still nice and dry.

In August this year, one of my neighbours actually had a fire. Her bathroom heater caught fire and we had to evacuate. I got out quite easily as I use a stick but my immediate neighbour couldn't even get her walker over the step so needed help. Lucky it wasn't her flat on fire.

I have just realised that they said work would commence on 9 November but they didn't say which year :frusty:

Would this date be for starting work on site, or the office based pen pushing workout ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Did you have to rearrange your schedule so the workmen could start work ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Did you have to rearrange your schedule so the workmen could start work ?

It's all outside so no deviation from my usual pattern of sitting on my backside.

The warden came back from the office and said the start date on the calendar was the 16th. Left hand, right hand. Arse, elbow!!!

• 2 months later...

As a final update to this, I now have a lovely ramped area all the way along the path. I can now just step outside the door with no step down.

I have to say that although this took an age to get started, the result is stunning.

The builders did a well 'Proper Job'

So, worth the wait then :)

BCOBS