Car theft - insurance didn't pay

veganite
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you for your help Uncle Bulgaria Coburg! (had to google that)

The information they used for the valuation was from 'glass.co.uk'

I sent email with some info to say that the car is valued at a higher price, also complained because the amount of time to sort out this claim is 7 years - and this has imo caused me to lose my no claims bonus.

In one of the email responses to me, they state the following:

I note your comment in regards to the registration date of the claim. I would like to take this opportunity to provide you with the information that is available to me. I can see from the notes on your policy that we received a call from Swinton in February 2007 in regards to a theft claim but there are no notes to register a claim on the system until 11th March 2008. From my notes I can see that the claim was then closed on 2nd June 2008 as a result of the report we received from Absolute informing us they had not been successful in contacting you. The claim reopened on 29th December 2008, Absolute were reinstructed and provided us with a report on 23rd February 2009 which informed us they had not been able to contact you. Your claim was closed on 10th April 2009 as a result of this. We were contacted on 24th June 2009, we reopened the claim and sent a letter requesting your documents. The claim was checked periodically to see if the documents had arrived. Another document request letter was sent on 20th July 2009. We sent a 21 day intentions letter to you on 3rd August 2009 which states that if we do not receive a response within 21 days we will close the claim. The claim was then closed on 28th August 2009. Due to the age of the claim I can neither prove or disprove that you contacted us earlier than this, I can however provide you with the above information, which is the information that is available to me. I hope this is helpful to you.

Leading on from 2009, I completely gave up in trying to make any progress with this claim. I had sent all the documents required, I also sent receipts for work done with MOTs and FSH.

Fast forward to 2014, whilst Hastings have agreed to pay £1,290.00 - they have not responded to my concerns that I personally value the car to be a higher amount, neither they have responded to my complaint - the complaint being that due to the amount of time it has taken to sort out the claim I have lost my no claims bonus (which was supposed to be protected).

Personally, I feel this is just another delaying tactic.

Can anyone advise what is the best for me to do? To accept their offer of payment, or to continue with my complaint - the fact that I have now lost my no claims bonus as well as being left without a vehicle despite my many attempts to make progress with the claim?

I am not sure whether a Subject Access Request would help me since Hastings state that they can neither prove nor disprove I have contacted them - although, they have sent me details (above) showing the many times my claim had been opened and closed.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the Glass.co.uk information from 7 years ago or the recent edition ? It should be the value at the time of loss. I think you need Hastings to check they are using the value at the time of the loss.

I am not sure what has happened with your claim. Perhaps you were not around and communications broke down. With Swinton being involved, it makes it more complicated, as there was another party involved.

In your shoes, I would make sure Hastings paid the correct value per the Glass guide 7 years ago and I would leave it at that. You could lodge a formal complaint and if necessary take it to the FOS, but that could add months. The FOS are taking atleast 6 months to look at complaints.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi veganite,

Thank you for once again updating the thread. The valuation figure has been calculated based on the vehicle value at the time of loss, I hope that this clarifies the situation. If you would like me to provide any further support please feel free to let me know. As my colleague has stated we can provide you with the details of what we have on record with regards to this claim, however due to the period of time that has elapsed this is very difficult to prove or disprove.

Many Thanks,

Jamie

Jamie, thank you for all your assistance. This matter is now resolved.

Uncle Bulgaria - thanks again for your time and trouble in providing me with advice. The valuation was from the time of theft, Hastings increased the offer for the car but did not uphold my other complaints (delay, loss of NCB because of delay) Thanks again!

To CAG site team - matter resolved (just incase you wish to mark thread as being resolved, thanks)

If I've given you advice, then it is just my thoughts / opinions - doesn't mean I am right!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My previous post said that this matter was now resolved, unfortunately that is now incorrect.

Hastings require a scanned copy of a letter of authorisation in order for them to make payment. Since I live outside UK virtually in the middle of nowhere I do not have access to a scanner. My internet is served by a few radio repeater stations.

I sent Hastings a camera copy of my letter in addition to my passport (they did not ask for passport, however I sent it).

Hastings replied that they need a scanned copy of my letter of authorisation and that they would not accept a copy taken by a camera. I can't see the difference between that of a scanned letter and that of a photo of a letter since both are digital images. Furthermore, my camera is high quality and I used macro mode which IMHO would make the image far better quality than that of a scanner.

Having waited several years for Hastings to sort my car insurance, I thought that this matter had finally reached its conclusion when I posted details on this website. However, recent events lead me to believe that Hastings are again using delaying tactics by saying that the digital image captured by a camera is not suitable and that a digital image needs to be via a scanner.

It is virtually impossible for me to use a scanner because of where I live and the amount of time it would take me to reach somewhere where it would be possible to use a scanner.

I am far from happy with Hastings since this claim should have been paid out to me several years ago in addition to the fact that I have lost 5 years no claims bonus due to what is in my opinion their constant delays in sorting out my claim. Despite me constantly making contact with them, the claim never progressed. It is only since posting details of this on CAG that Hastings have made an offer of payment, yet my opinion is that they are now delaying the payment / claim yet again by asking me to do something which is virtually impossible to do ie - (scanned copy instead of camera copy).

I do not see any difference between that of a scanned copy of a letter of authorisation and that of a camera copy of the letter of authorisation. Both are digital images and the camera copy I feel offers a better quality of image than that of a regular scanner.

Is this delaying tactics used by Hastings? Or is it necessary for them to receive a scanned copy and not a camera copy?

Hi veganite,

Thank you for the update to your thread, I am sorry to hear that this matter has not yet been resolved. I will pass on your comments to our team and ask them to review this as soon as possible, I would like to ensure you that this is not a delaying tactic but is simply one of the many checks that we have to carry out before issuing payment, especially in a situation which is a little out of the ordinary such as this.

Many Thanks,

Jamie

Hello,

My previous post said that this matter was now resolved, unfortunately that is now incorrect.

Hastings require a scanned copy of a letter of authorisation in order for them to make payment. Since I live outside UK virtually in the middle of nowhere I do not have access to a scanner. My internet is served by a few radio repeater stations.

I sent Hastings a camera copy of my letter in addition to my passport (they did not ask for passport, however I sent it).

Hastings replied that they need a scanned copy of my letter of authorisation and that they would not accept a copy taken by a camera. I can't see the difference between that of a scanned letter and that of a photo of a letter since both are digital images. Furthermore, my camera is high quality and I used macro mode which IMHO would make the image far better quality than that of a scanner.

Having waited several years for Hastings to sort my car insurance, I thought that this matter had finally reached its conclusion when I posted details on this website. However, recent events lead me to believe that Hastings are again using delaying tactics by saying that the digital image captured by a camera is not suitable and that a digital image needs to be via a scanner.

It is virtually impossible for me to use a scanner because of where I live and the amount of time it would take me to reach somewhere where it would be possible to use a scanner.

I am far from happy with Hastings since this claim should have been paid out to me several years ago in addition to the fact that I have lost 5 years no claims bonus due to what is in my opinion their constant delays in sorting out my claim. Despite me constantly making contact with them, the claim never progressed. It is only since posting details of this on CAG that Hastings have made an offer of payment, yet my opinion is that they are now delaying the payment / claim yet again by asking me to do something which is virtually impossible to do ie - (scanned copy instead of camera copy).

I do not see any difference between that of a scanned copy of a letter of authorisation and that of a camera copy of the letter of authorisation. Both are digital images and the camera copy I feel offers a better quality of image than that of a regular scanner.

Is this delaying tactics used by Hastings? Or is it necessary for them to receive a scanned copy and not a camera copy?

Hello veganite.

I don't reallly understand either, why one form of photographic image is acceptable and another isn't. Hopefully Jamie or the team will be able to shed some light on this.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello veganite.

I don't reallly understand either, why one form of photographic image is acceptable and another isn't. Hopefully Jamie or the team will be able to shed some light on this.

HB

This has been ongoing since 2007. I do know that in the last few years I had simply forgotten about the claim due to the previous amount of times I had contacted Hastings, Hastings agent and my insurance broker (Swinton). I feel as this is yet another delaying tactic used by Hastings.

I can appreciate that Jamie (Hastings rep on CAG) is trying his best to rectify this for me, however, the above experience (delay) is in my opinion indicative of past experiences whereby the claim was delayed, open > closed, repoened > closed etc...

Asking for a scanned letter and not accepting a photo of the letter is in my opinion ludicrous and just shows further delays. The photo of the letter is also far better quality than that of a scan, it also includes my passport copy, something which was not asked for. Despite this, Hastings are still delaying.

Hello Jamie / Hastings,

I'm just wondering whether there is an update concerning the recent delay?

Thank you

edit: I was hoping for an update today but I wasn't aware it was Saturday. Only looked at the calendar after posting this... and I can't delete post.

Hopefully will have an update on Monday.

Thank you again

Hi veganite,

Thank you for your message, you will receive an update regarding the situation today. As you have requested payment terms which do not fit within standard processes this is the reason that we require documentation to support the transaction. I hope that this matter can be resolved as quickly as possible and we appreciate your patience.

Many Thanks,

Jamie

A lengthy email received from Hastings - their reason why they can not accept a photograph of the document and require a scanned copy is as follows:

Due to your extenuating circumstances I have agreed to accept a scanned document, provided that it is signed by you. This needs to be a formal document, which is why the photographs of the documents that you kindly provided us with were not sufficient.

I do not see any difference between that of a scanned document and that of a photograph of a document since both are digital images.

I will now possibly wait until I return to UK and persist in sorting this out when I am in UK.

With any luck, maybe I will be paid sometime this year.

Following on from above post, I feel as though my claim is being delayed yet again. So, I have requested a Subject Access Request so I can compare the information I have against the information Hastings has. I have also requested copy of all telephone recordings and will soon request a Subject Access Request from Swinton - the insurance agent.

Quick question - since Hastings have not upheld my complaint in relation to the amount of time it has taken to sort this claim out, can the copies of my telephone recordings be used within court? The reason I ask is that I have lost my 5 years no claims bonus since I did not have money quick enough to purchase another car. Had the claim been sorted out quickly, then I would have purchased a replacement car and would have not lost my no claims bonus discount! Since the claim was not sorted out quickly then I didn't purchase another car and consequently due to the length of time, I have lost my no claims bonus!

The telephone recordings were made using a cheap old voice tape recorder which I wired up myself - just 2 wires from phone extension wire connected to microphone input wires of tape recorder. The sound quality is perfect as its a direct connection... The recordings to Swinton and Hastings were for my own records only... But, my question is - can the recordings be used as part of my evidence to back up my complaint that there had been a considerable delay caused by Swinton / Hastings / Third party agent acting on behalf of Hastings?

Can such recordings be sent to Financial Ombudsman?

To update thread, email received from Hastings yesterday:

Please find attached the Data Subject Access Request form as requested in your previous e-mail.

Please do not send the £10.00 cheque as the form suggests, this will not be deducted from your settlement.

As the form mentions, you are not required to fill in the form, but we do require a request in writing.

I find it strange that I ask for a Subject Access Request within email and Hastings reply that they require the request in writing! I had thought that my previous action of writing an email was 'in writing' :lol:

Am I missing something so obvious? I thought that writing an email concerning a Subject Access Request was in writing. There again, I thought that a photo image of a letter was equivalent (better) than that of a scanned image.

Despite my criticisms of Hastings within this thread, I must say that as they have been informed I am outside the country they have suggested alternative and what they thought was easier payment methods for me. Communication now seems to exist, something which was lacking several years ago. Also the Hastings rep on CAG has been trying to help me sort this problem out.

I am happy in the fact that Hastings have agreed to pay me in respect of the theft, though am dissatisfied in their response to my other complaints. I will continue to update thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Hastings / Jamie,

I have managed to use a scanner and have scanned the document you require authorising the payment.

I have also asked my mother to send you a letter of authorisation allowing my payment to be paid into her bank account.

Please will you confirm:

1. If you have received the documents.

2. Whether the scan and letter (above) are acceptable.

3. If acceptable, then please confirm the expected date when money will be received.

Thanks again.

Hi veganite,

Thank you for the update, I will submit these questions to your file handler and ensure that they get back to you with confirmation and answers to the questions that you have posed. Please let me know if there is anything further that I can do to help.

Many Thanks,

Jamie

hello again, thanks for that. is it possible you can ask the file handler for the update as I haven't received any update as yet.

The scan was sent to you instantly, my mother paid extra to ensure you receive the authorisation letter (so it is paid to her account) - so you should have already received these.

Sorry to be a nuisance in asking you for updates etc, but it appears that communication has now reverted to what it was several years ago.

There is no way that I want to let this matter go on for longer than is necessary which is the reason I feel as though I should 'babysit' this claim and check on its progress constantly, requesting updates and confirmation.

Thanks again.

Just a quick question for my sanity.

WHY did you do nothing for 7 years?

Your sanity is fine. A stella is the only Vegan beer... and all vegans are sane? :)

Anyway, I didn't do nothing!!!! I contacted Swinton Insurance many times, I even called into their office many times.

And here is what Hastings say from their notes:

I note your comment in regards to the registration date of the claim. I would like to take this opportunity to provide you with the information that is available to me. I can see from the notes on your policy that we received a call from Swinton in February 2007 in regards to a theft claim but there are no notes to register a claim on the system until 11th March 2008. From my notes I can see that the claim was then closed on 2nd June 2008 as a result of the report we received from Absolute informing us they had not been successful in contacting you. The claim reopened on 29th December 2008, Absolute were reinstructed and provided us with a report on 23rd February 2009 which informed us they had not been able to contact you. Your claim was closed on 10th April 2009 as a result of this. We were contacted on 24th June 2009, we reopened the claim and sent a letter requesting your documents. The claim was checked periodically to see if the documents had arrived. Another document request letter was sent on 20th July 2009. We sent a 21 day intentions letter to you on 3rd August 2009 which states that if we do not receive a response within 21 days we will close the claim. The claim was then closed on 28th August 2009. Due to the age of the claim I can neither prove or disprove that you contacted us earlier than this, I can however provide you with the above information, which is the information that is available to me. I hope this is helpful to you.
So, I didn't do nothing for 7 years. Admittedly I did nothing for the last 4 years, from 2010 until now. This was because I had spent a lot of time in trying to chase the car insurance through Swinton and a claims handling company provided to me by swinton or hastings. I only did nothing for the last 4 years because it had dragged on for such a long time that I had completely forgotten about it! I only remembered about this when using CAG and saw Hastings and saw that there was a Hastings rep here. The Hastings rep has been helpful in trying to sort this out for me.

Sure i spent 4 years doing nothing... but not 7 years! The 4 years doing nothing was because I had had enough of dealing with this and sending information all the time for me to hear nothing back caused me to simply forget about it.

From the notes provided by Hastings, I assume that the lack of communication was caused by Swinton. For example, Hastings state this:

I can see from the notes on your policy that we received a call from Swinton in February 2007 in regards to a theft claim but there are no notes to register a claim on the system until 11th March 2008.

Why would Swinton call Hastings concerning a theft claim, yet Hastings do not have any notes to register the claim until over a year later?

hello again, thanks for that. is it possible you can ask the file handler for the update as I haven't received any update as yet.

The scan was sent to you instantly, my mother paid extra to ensure you receive the authorisation letter (so it is paid to her account) - so you should have already received these.

Sorry to be a nuisance in asking you for updates etc, but it appears that communication has now reverted to what it was several years ago.

There is no way that I want to let this matter go on for longer than is necessary which is the reason I feel as though I should 'babysit' this claim and check on its progress constantly, requesting updates and confirmation.

Thanks again.

Hi veganite,

Thank you for getting back to me. I have asked the file handler to let me know an update and also to communicate with you directly regarding any updates or documents received.

Many Thanks,

Jamie

Hello Hastings / Jamie,

You should have received the documents last week. Is there an update as yet?

I do apologise in repeatedly asking for updates on a daily basis, though I feel as if I do not do this and do not 'babysit' the process, then it will just drag on further. Its dragged on long enough as it is.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi veganite,

Thank you again for following this up, I can understand you wanting to be kept up to date. For ease and speed of getting this resolved could you please send me the electronic copies of these documents if you have them to [email protected] I will also continue to work with our claims team and keep you up to date.

Many Thanks,

Jamie

Hello Hastings / Jamie,

You should have received the documents last week. Is there an update as yet?

I do apologise in repeatedly asking for updates on a daily basis, though I feel as if I do not do this and do not 'babysit' the process, then it will just drag on further. Its dragged on long enough as it is.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi veganite,

Quick update for you. Documents have been received and the payment has been processed, you will receive full email confirmation shortly.

Many Thanks,

Jamie