• Tweets

• ROFL - says a minister of the government that lets its politicians promote their agendas unchallenged and well paid on the UK's version of Russia Today translated UK deputy PM launches global push to mask their election rigging "The UK is following Russia and China on a government minister and MP led process to get paid vast sums to put our message out to the plebs unchallenged, funded via right wing billionaires, AI from foreign states, and misuse of taxpayer money.   reuters.com WWW.REUTERS.COM  
    • Yes, but the process starts here... https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/data-protection-complaints/what-to-expect/ This involves making a complaint to GS first before approaching ICO. However, at the time of the complaint, I beleive we'd advise the complainant to ask for some compensation and take it from there. @FTMDave?? No, I meant this forum, The Consumer Action Group, where you're posting right now.😄 (We're in the slow process of rebranding as The National Consumer Service.)
    • And yes, they state their client is EON and that they can return the debt to EON who can either register a default or take me to court. 
    • Thank you. The npower debt was from 2019/2020 until EON took over the account late 2021.   npower had set a DCA on me even though I owed them nothing. I spoke to a customer service agent, following up by email, who confirmed I was in credit . I made a complaint to head office who sent a barrage of emails, changing the amounts each time. According to them, I owed £279.   The debt grew to what it is now as first npower and then EON subsequently failed to put a payment arrangement and direct debit in place to pay off this supposed sum and my ongoing bills.   I was very ill with Covid, struggling in lockdown with a disabled child and informed them of all this.   EON stopped their legal action when I took them to the ombudsman as this was part of my complaint and requested remedy but I have not received a notice of discontinuance.    I would like to set up my own dd to pay them off but am concerned they could still take legal action. I am on a low income and can’t afford to pay them more than a token amount each month.   
    • Thank you guys! @lookinforinfo thank you for the case, it seem to similar with my case which is gold. @Nicky Boy shouldn't be ICO?   Personal data breaches: a guide ICO.ORG.UK   For CAG I found this  The Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG) is an independent body which provides expert advice on the use of confidential patient information. This includes providing advice to us, the Health Research Authority (HRA) for research uses. It also provides advice to the Secretary of State for Health for non-research uses.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Judgement to set Aside was Denied!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Not sure what advice anyone can give me and sorry it is long winded.

Over a year ago my partner and I advertised for a part time admin person

and were approached by a recruitment company who had obviously seen us as a possible lead!

We are only a small business, but

my partner decided to allow the RC to come to our house and discuss if they could help.

I was not keen and left it to my partner.

The result being she agreed to meet 3 applicants.

She did not sign any terms and conditions,

nor was she given any at that time, cost was not discussed at any time.

An email from the RC asked us to return and sign them but none were attached.

We then went away on business for three weeks.

However my partner decided to try one applicant and informed the RC by telephone

that she could start 4th Jan 2013 for one day a week.

(During the time we were away an email was sent with the costs,

which my partner did not pick up due to work etc)

We then received an invoice for £980 dated 27th December payable immediately.

I was a bit shocked by the cost (as was my partner) and was reluctant to pay as I had no idea it would be this much.

I wrote and said that i would pay monthly ( as I believed that should she stop working I would not have to keep paying)

We sent a payment and also said that no terms etc had been signed and costs agreed.

The RC refused and started legal action and

during this period the admin person informed us she was going to do her own freelance work

and stopped any more work on 2nd April having completed about 6 or 7 days work in total.

I received a court claim form etc.

I lodged a defence and after agreeing to mediation

I was told they had refused that,

and a court date was set for October 14th.

The RC replied to the defence and I replied to that and sent copies by registered post to the RC and the court.

Now a week before the hearing I was given a date 14th October for an operation,

that I had been waiting for, two years waiting,

that's why I was on a last minute list if a space arose.

I emailed the court and informed them of the operation and apologised for the short notice.

I did hope that it would be postponed and foolishly said in the email that if they had to hear it in my absence

I would understand believing if that happened they would look at my defence.

I got an automated response, and heard nothing more and was out of action myself for nearly 2 months.

To be fair I did forget all about it until March when

I received a letter from a claims management offering to help after the judgement against us.

I immediately tried to call the court and could not get through and emailed again on the 5th march

asking for details and why we had not been informed of any judgement.

Again I had only an automated reply.

We then went away for work for another 4 weeks working and

just after arriving back had a visit from the High Court enforcement Officer demanding £1908.35 and giving 4 days to pay.

I rang the court again and after a fair wait finally got through and was abruptly told that my defence was dismissed

and a letter of judgement had been sent out.

I have never received any letter of judgement and would have acted if I had done so.

I then applied to the High Court for a Stay and the County Court for a hearing to set aside, and was granted both.

In my defence I thought I had a good chance of judgement in my favour for the following reasons.

1.The claim and judgement were not made out to our partnership,

which they started with originally but in the name of our other business which is similar in name,

but is a ltd company that trades under owns a cafe with different premises

and registered office (my old accountants who were still listed on the Companies house website.

I imagine they may have been sending stuff there mistakenly,

and the HCE officers actually told me that they had gone there and were given my home address by them.

I did send proof to the RC that it was the wrong company they were claiming against,

in the form of separate headed paper and separate cheque books and accounts.

We also have separate VAT and HMRC accounts and they are totally different types of business.

2. We never signed any agreement and only saw any terms and conditions when we were given demands for payment.

3. The RC had two of their employees, who were writing to both my home and my previous accountants.

4. The 'admin employee' had ceased any work after hardly any time at all and why should we pay any more than that.

5. There are other points I raised but those were the main defence.

today at the Set aside hearing the DJ was not interested in any of this

and stated that the original judge had dismissed my defence and any counter claim.

I am certain he did not have any of the original documents from my reply to the RCs reply.

I believe he was only looking at my application to set aside

which had the email informing of my op, and the follow up email.

He said

'what does it matter if the Ltd Company had the judgement as opposed to us personally'

he also expressed doubt that I had not received the judgement,

and I should have known that it had gone ahead in my absence.

He was not interested in my email asking what had happened, or any info from the hospital.

He would not let me explain anything, and he favoured the RC solicitor

and I got quite upset as he would not listen and refused to set aside the judgement

and said I should pay the original cost and court costs so about £1150.

He also said he would not allow me to appeal without applying for permission.

I am really angry and feel that it was already decided before we entered the room.

What can I do now.

Any help appreciated

Jaw

Hi Jaw and welcome to CAG

Perhaps post up the particulars of claim and your defence (less any identifiable data) verbatim and we can see what grounds the DJ dismissed your defence/counter claim.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Attachment failed

Here is dx's tutorial to help guide you with attachments :)

follow this:

**you can post up images/letters by this method immediately..you don't need 10 posts**

set your default scan page size to A4 less than 300DPI [150 will do]

scan the required letters/agreements/sheets - as a picture[jpg] file

don't forget you can use a mobile phone or a digital camera too!!

'

BUT......

ENSURE: remove all pers info inc. barcodes etc

but leave all monetary figures and dates.

{DO NOT USE A BIRO OR PEN OR USE SEE THRU TAPE OR LABELS]

DO IT IN MSPAINT.EXE or any photo editing program

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites ...

http://freejpgtopdf.com/

http://www.convert-jpg-to-pdf.net/

if you have multiple scans/pics

put them in a word doc FIRST and convert that to PDF

or http://www.freepdfconvert.com/

or

use http://www.pdfmerge.com

convert existing PC files to PDF [office has an installable print to PDF option]

it would be better to upload a multipage pdf if

you have many images too rather than many single pdfs

or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

or use word and save as pdf

try and logically name your file so people know what it is.

though DONT USE BANK NAMES or CAGicon in the title

i'e Default notice DDicon-mm-yyyy

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

YOU DONT have to put a link to the attachment in the msg box..just upload it ..job done

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Still cant see it. For this forum it is better to use PDF files. JPGs come out too small

The guide I gave above will help you convert it to PDF. It takes only a few minutes and when you have done it once you will find it easy :)

Also please remember to use PAINT on the computer to erase your personal details before converting it to the PDF

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I think that you have been treated quite harshly by the trial judge and also in your setaside application - although you haven't posted the application here and so one can't be sure. Please will you post the setaside application for us.

However, I would also say that you rather courted this disaster in the way that you managed the recruitment and in the way you managed the claim against you. I appreciate that you don't have any litigation experience but even at a basic level of management, it makes it less surprising that judge found against you.

Also it is clear that this RC is very businesslike and aggressive about the way that they do these things - and the fact that they have transferred the judgment to the High Court in order to enforce it shows that they are experienced about this and have a very no nonsense approach.

You have been with us since 2011. It is a shame that you didn't come to us much earlier because the outcome for you would have been very different

I think that you need to do some basic research here in order to see if you can put a case together which has a chance of success. How long ago did the judge refuse you leave to appeal? You have a limited window to ask for permission - is it 14 days? And you need to complete your research well before then if you feel that you might want to challenge the decisions against you.

I think that you need to contact two or three recruitment agencies and find out a bit more about the industry.

You need to find out what is generally understood as a "permanent employee". Is it the same as fulltime? Could it refer to part-time?

How are recruitment charges generally charged out. I find it odd that there is a one-off fee and that nothing is tied in to the length of employment - or at least a minimum period of employment.

How is the fee calculated?

What is the normal fee charged by recruitment companies. Is this one within the range?

How was your fee calculated by the RC

How much were you paying this employee

Did they send you an invoice? Please will you post it here.

Also, I would like you to contact me my email please - on our admin email address. Please include details of the RC and of the employee who you took on - including dates of their employment, the rate of pay etc. All of this will be received in confidence but there are a few questions which I would like to investigate as well.

Please include a contact phone number.

If you want to stand a chance of doing something about this, then please act immediately.

Also - where did you advertise your vacancy?

Hi

thanks for the reply

I have tried to keep it simple as poss so see replies below in red

The advert was only placed with the Jobcentre and the RC approached through the ad.

I think that you have been treated quite harshly by the trial judge and also in your setasideicon application - although you haven't posted the application here and so one can't be sure. Please will you post the setaside application for us

Will do asap

However, I would also say that you rather courted this disaster in the way that you managed the recruitment and in the way you managed the claim against you. I appreciate that you don't have any litigation experience but even at a basic level of management, it makes it less surprising that judge found against you.

I am aware of that and wish......

Also it is clear that this RC is very businesslike and aggressive about the way that they do these things - and the fact that they have transferred the judgment to the High Court in order to enforce it shows that they are experienced about this and have a very no nonsense approach.

I had no knowledge of transfer either

You have been with us since 2011. It is a shame that you didn't come to us much earlier because the outcome for you would have been very different

I had thought that getting a set aside hearing and stay was a good sign, it would give me a chance to defend properly

I think that you need to do some basic research here in order to see if you can put a case together which has a chance of success. How long ago did the judge refuse you

leave to appeal? You have a limited window to ask for permission - is it 14 days?

I believe it was 14 days and the RC solicitor also said she would give 14 days before enforcing again and I needed to inform her of appeal

And you need to complete your research well before then if you feel that you might want to challenge the decisions against you.

I think that you need to contact two or three recruitment agencies and find out a bit more about the industry.

You need to find out what is generally understood as a "permanent employee". Is it the same as fulltime? Could it refer to part-time?

How are recruitment charges generally charged out. I find it odd that there is a one-off fee and that nothing is tied in to the length of employment - or at least a minimum period of employment.

we were not given any terms until after the event

How is the fee calculated?

Up to £20,000 = 17.5% fee part time or not

What is the normal fee charged by recruitment companies. Is this one within the range?

yes

How was your fee calculated by the RC

salary est was £4680 x 17.5% = £819 + Vat

How much were you paying this employee

As above

Did they send you an invoice? Please will you post it here.

Asap

Also, I would like you to contact me my email please - on our adminicon email address. Please include details of the RC and of the employee who you took on - including dates of their employment, the rate of pay etc. All of this will be received in confidence but there are a few questions which I would like to investigate as well.

Please include a contact phone number.

Asap

If you want to stand a chance of doing something about this, then please act immediately.

Nothing on this

"Working away" seems to be quite a consistent feature in this problem.

If only it was just a' feature' !

Unfortunately I have to travel the country a fair amount and certain times of the year, myself and my partner are away from home for anything from 3 days up to nearly 4 weeks.

Its not ideal and as a parent it is difficult, and sometimes it causes problems, as it has here.

Being self employed is a life style , and not a job I guess.

Hi

Can anyone tell me if,

A CCJ was registered, but is still open to appeal after a set aside hearing whether it would be cleared if the amount in dispute was settled before the appeal window closed.

I hope that makes sense.

Any info appreciated

Hi Bank Fodder

there is a ccj registered as I thought Trust online shows 30/10/13 £1,167 Unsatisfied Judgment

Paying the CCJ now will mean it shows as a satisfied judgment for 6 years.

The only ways to remove it fully now are to set aside and either pay or defend and win or if you lose pay it in full within one month of judgment.