Renting Deposit advice needed PLEASE!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3621 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I'd really appreciate your input please.

I vacated the property on 2nd May 2014( after 3 years of renting). Rent was paid up to the 5th.

I kept the terms of the tenancy agreement, prompt notice given and rent paid. I turned the keys in on time, cleaned the property, however, did not manage to cut the grass (grass was not cut when we moved in anyway) as left it too late and the bad weather prevented me from doing it on the last day.

On 6th May 2011 I paid rental deposit, that I was told was protected by My Deposits scheme. The copy of the certificate I still have, looks a little dodgy (bad copy) but it has the all important Cert No. It also tells me the Period of Protection: 06 May 2011 - until 3 months from the date you vacated the property. This means that it is still protected, right?

My first question is: why then, when I enter the Cert No on mydeposits website my deposit is not found?? What does that mean?

Also, when I was called into my agency's office after I moved out, I signed a paper confirming that I agree to pay for damaged carpet & broken sink. I bought a new sink and left it there but the agent claims it doesn't fit, so I agreed to pay for a new one. I was not given a copy of that paper and made a mistake of leaving the office without one. I was rushing to get back to work as I was on my lunch break, but when I realised my mistake I emailed them to ask for copy (twice!) but received no reply at all. I was never told how much it would cost me to pay for these things. Is that acceptable???

I emailed twice asking for that information but heard nothing from them. Shall I write to them again? How to word my request to avoid being ignored?

Huge thanks for any advice you can offer! Monika

I have now checked with all DPS companies and my deposit is nowhere to be found. I am guessing the agent did not reregister therefore my money was not protected. What shall I do now?

Just some questions:-

How much was the deposit?

How much did they want for the carpet & broken sink? So they didn't tell you.

How much did the first sink cost you?

Did you buy the second sink? Have you got a receipt?

So they aren't responding to your efforts to communicate with them?

What's the name of the estate agents?

On 6th May 2011 I paid £550. I was not told how much it would cost to replace the living room carpet or the bathroom sink (I bought one but they claim it doesn't fit). Neither the carpet nor the sink were new when I moved in, therefore I was informed they can only charge 'like for like' rather than demand brand new. I am not sure whether this is true or not though.

I bought the sink from someone who had one too many, no receipt. I paid £35.

They are not responding. No communication whatsoever since the day I visited their office around 6 or 7th May. None of my emails were acknowledged or replied to.

The name of the agent is xxxxxxxxxxx and they are based in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply :)

Edited by rebel11
added the year to the date / reb removed name

Hi MonikaT

Phone CAB/Trading Standards tomorrow, explain the situation. They will give you a reference number.

Write to the Estate Agent.

Use the first letter in the link below (ask your landlord to return your deposit) that you need to fill in carefully.

Add the CAB/Trading Standards Ref No to the letter as follows:-

Ref No: XXXXXXX, CAB/TRADING STANDARDS

Send it Recorded Delivery.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/tenancy_deposits/getting_your_deposit_back/court_action_to_get_a_tenancy_deposit_returned

It is your LL responsibility to protect and return your deposit, however some leave it to the LA to do or they even act as stakeholder, through the DPS. ( not in this case or it would have been registered. )

In your letter before action to the LL, copy to LA, insist that the deposit is returned within 7 days, or you will start proceedings through the courts for recovery, and mention that as the deposit was not protected, the LL will be liable to give you compensation up 3x the deposit. ( up to judge though ).

Yes all items that need to be replaced are less wear and tear.